The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Torts wanted to buy out Alex Burrows

hockeyville88

TEAM 1040 Report:

@TEAM1040: .@garymasonglobe reports on #TEAM1040 that John Tortorella wanted the Canucks to buy out Alex Burrows.

That would have been stupid. Weird. I thought Burrows was exactly the type of player Torts would love

Also being reported that:

@TEAM1040: .@garymasonglobe reports on #TEAM1040 that Tortorella didn't have a single conversation with Utica coach Travis Green during the season

Sooo he really didn't care about how the farm was coming along eh? Guess he had no plans of giving young players a chance

Full audio of the interview

https://m.soundcloud.com/team-radio-interviews/gary-mason-on-tortorella-may15th-2014

I'll admit I was/am a Torts supporter but that's just plain stupid.

Edit: But tbh, Burrows isn't worth $4.5 mill for 4 years or whatever it is. Bad signing. Yea his contract before was a hell of a steal but doesn't mean the next one you overpay to make up for it. But at the same time, it's not bad enough to be buyout worthy unlike Clarkson lol. Burrows can at least produce and that's all that matters + he's a spark plug and fan fav.

Say it isn't so??!

After all that love and support I threw behind Torts?

Just as I argued that Torts may not have been given enough time in a fair shake deal, this would suggest he was prematurely assessing his players and not allowing Burr to work through the injury plagued issues he was bouncing back from.

His timing, puck luck, confidence - everything went South but only a fool would get rid of a guy who'll sacrifice himself every game even if it's in the background that is the front of the net.

Well then, glad Torts is gone. Burr better be sticking around....

Say it isn't so??!

Just as I argued that Torts may not have been given enough time in a fair shake deal, this would suggest he was prematurely assessing his players and not allowing Burr to work through the injury plagued issues he was bouncing back from.

His timing, puck luck, confidence - everything went South but only a fool would get rid of a guy who'll sacrifice himself every game even if it's in the background that is the front of the net.

the issue though deb is that he is taking a roster spot. if young guns are coming in then we might need his spot... not buy out but trade.

Hmm, Burr IS a bit of a rat, but he's OUR rat. I would be very interested to find out WHY Torts wanted him bought out - was it more than just production?

That being said, seems like Torts was intent on tearing down the core... and as much as I like Burrows I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing.

Torts didn't really seem to ever get what this team was about. Coming in he had no idea about who anyone was. The "I'm excited about this Edler guy" comment said it all. How do you not know who an All Star defenseman is? Was he not watching the 2011 Stanley cup playoffs? I want a coach who will at least tune in to watch every playoff game, especially after his team has been eliminated. Torts clearly isn't a fan of the game on the whole. Hopefully our next coach has seen what our guys can do and has a few ideas on how to make them even better.

More from interview I had posted on my FB .. excuse the font

Had team meeting one morning, David Booth showed up 5 minutes early and as meeting started JT started ranting about DB being late. Booth then acknowledges that he's present in the room - verbal exchanges occured

Torts didn't do video homework on upcoming opponents, nor did the practice much (as Kesler was concerned with previously)

Say it isn't so??!

Torts reminds me as a cross between Bill LaForge and Mike Keenan..lets be glad he is gone, another year with him who knows what kind of damage would be done.

Very much so. Gary Mason used to write for the Vancouver Sun and he now writes for the Globe and Mail. There's no way he'd risk his reputation if these claims weren't true.

Then I just lost a lot of the respect I had retained for Torts .. both of these make him look a lot less 'compassionate', and less professional than he had lead some of us to believe. Even my pragmatism has escaped me ..

also included in the interview with mason was the fact the players felt they didn't practice enough and that torts didn't take practice seriously enough.

also there was an incident with booth where he was 5 minutes early to a meeting and torts didn't notice him and got in a shouting match with him in front of the whole team, accusing him of being late to the meeting, and the rest of the players knew booth was there and were wondering what the hell torts was screaming about.

best coach in canucks history though.

Very much so. Gary Mason used to write for the Vancouver Sun and he now writes for the Globe and Mail. There's no way he'd risk his reputation if these claims weren't true.

I remember a few phenomenal reads from Gary M, back in the day. One he wrote on Keenan was a gut-splitter.

Agreed, I believe he's credible.

Archived