The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Penguins fire Ray Shero

I'd still want Benning.

Although, Shero has better contact/relationship throughout the league than Gillis, he seems like the same kind of guy, too passive. You can't really say he draft well, Crosby and Malkin were givens.

I'd rather give Benning a chance, he's younger, wants to prove himself, we need change, not hold on to prior year succes, which is what I feel Shero would do.

I'd still want Benning.

Although, Shero has better contact/relationship throughout the league than Gillis, he seems like the same kind of guy, too passive. You can't really say he draft well, Crosby and Malkin were givens.

I'd rather give Benning a chance, he's younger, wants to prove himself, we need change, not hold on to prior year succes, which is what I feel Shero would do.

shero drafted neither crosby nor malkin.

I wouldn't be interested in Bylsma because he wasn't able to do anything in the playoffs with two generational talents on his team. I would want a coach who could make a team rise to a championship level.

Ray Shero kind of made it hard for Bylsma. When you have 47.36% tied up in 4 players (Malkin, Crosby, Letang and Fleury) and then another 32.62% tied up in secondary guys (Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Martin and Scuderi), it's hard to build the rest of the team.

That essentially left 20.02% or $12.87M to pay 13 guys. Bylsma did the best he could given how handcuffed he was with who he had to work with.

Effectively, Pittsburg had a good Top 6, but terrible bottom 6, defense and goaltending, and those weaknesses were well exposed this year. Crosby and Malkin didn't do their teams any favors by taking them to the bank, which should have prompted Shero to move Letang for other complimentary pieces to flesh out the roster rather than signing him to that massive contract.

Archived