The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Once again, Chiarelli forced to comment on Marchand's 'antics'

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/16/once-again-chiarelli-forced-to-comment-on-marchands-antics/

Every year I seem to have this comment about him finding a balance between irritant/agitator and real good player. I think sometimes his antics gets in the way. This has been a discussion Ive had, [coach Claude Juliens] had over the course of three, four, five years, and its a challenge for Brad to play that aggressive way and not to cross the line. Youve heard this from me a lot. We have to dial back some of that stuff.

That was Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli today, answering a question about Boston forward Brad Marchand, and whether the players reputation was becoming a problem for the team.

Chiarellis comments came on the heels of Wednesdays Game 7 loss to Montreal in which Marchand earned two minor penalties, one for goalie interference on a questionable (reputation?) call, the other an unsportsmanlike conduct for showering Carey Price with snow.

That same game also saw Marchand do this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OckCa8T2U8A

Earlier this season, Chiarelli expressed similar frustration with Marchands antics during a loss in Vancouver. Such was the clamor after that game that the GM had to clarify he wasnt planning to trade the player.

Despite todays remarks, Chiarelli did say that he, along with coach Julien, had productive meetings with Marchand earlier in the day.

But but but, I thought he was "generally a clean player" ? :lol:

Marchand? Why Marchand? He's a friggen saint compared to Milan Lucic.

Surprised anyone is even talking about Marchand after that handshake.

I'm sure Chiarelli will address Lucic too and say Julien will talk with him and etc and then go back to his same old ways.

I'm sure Chiarelli will address Lucic too and say Julien will talk with him and etc and then go back to his same old ways.

It's sad. Theres a few really sick players on that team that are well respected around the league (Bergeron and Eriksson) and a few players like Milan ruin that teams image.

Marchand must be so confused! This stuff got the green-light during the 2011 CUP semi-final & final? It must suck when the Chairman cannot spare his home-boy from proper league discipline by the officials. Members of the BOG obviously won't stand-by & watch the Bruins rake-in even more lucrative post-season bonus bucks without demanding their FAIR-share of ops.

Marchand won't fret for long. His SC-ring remains a constant comfort & a lasting reminder...that for a time, in his hey-day, the rules of this league just didn't apply to him. Bring on the IIHF rules, now please. The less leash any league gives characters like Lucic & Marchand...the better.

Honestly I hate his guts and he's scum.

But I hope he gets traded to our team. I'd be first to grab his jersey.

I'll hate him as long as he doesn't play for us.

His bad penalties cost boston the series. That being said... had the Canucks bruins series had fair officiating like this series did, we would have cleaned up boston in 6 games and hoisted the cup.

Marchand = Avery 2.0

Idiot anyway you look at it!

And I'm sure if you were told by an NHL team, "You can have a job here and get paid millions of dollars, but it seems the only way you are effective is if you act like a jerk. Problems?" I'm fairly certain you would take that deal and run 8 days a week.

Where were all you people when Burrows and kesler were using Backes wife/girlfriend in their yapping. Or Burrows biting/hairpulling/etc. Bunch of hypocrites.

Marchand does a lot more than trashtalk. His antics are just garbage. You stick a finger in his mouth, he has the right to bite

Where were all you people when Burrows and kesler were using Backes wife/girlfriend in their yapping. Or Burrows biting/hairpulling/etc. Bunch of hypocrites.

Don't forget the diving and embellishment...gotta admit, Burr and Kes have grown up a little and have done less of the shenanigans over the past couple of seasons mainly because they were hurting the team more than helping with their childish antics (and not getting any calls go in their favor).

Maybe Marchand will realize that he's putting his teammates at a disadvantage because of his rat-like ways and will change...not likely, and we probably don't want him to because the way he is today makes him hate-able, which makes for great drama around these parts.

The sport of hockey needs its villains and opposing players to hate on...that and providing biased commentary is all part of being a sports fan, no matter who you cheer for. Bring on more villains (for me the only guy that has no place in the NHL is Matt Cooke...but that's just my thing...doesn't mean he should be out).

LOL! Biting & hair-pulling? Those are light-weight defensive maneovers...& things that happen in school yards, everyday. Crucify everyone using those moves...we will obliterate the planet. Get real! Are you seriously equating the relative harmlessness of Burr's actions...to the kind of stuff & violent deeds perpetrated by "LOOCH" & the "RAT" on their opponents every season...& their threats to do so... game in & game out?

Burr has been repentant. He has also been a disciplined & UN-mouthy player for awhile now & was selected to Team-Canada as a result. I really don't see Lucic or Marchand making the same "discipline, honor, or integrity" cut-line...do you?

LOL! Biting & hair-pulling? Those are light-weight defensive maneovers...& things that happen in school yards, everyday. Crucify everyone using those moves...we will obliterate the planet. Get real! Are you seriously equating the relative harmlessness of Burr's actions...to the kind of stuff & violent deeds perpetrated by "LOOCH" & the "RAT" on their opponents every season...& their threats to do so... game in & game out?

Burr has been repentant. He has also been a disciplined & UN-mouthy player for awhile now & was selected to Team-Canada as a result. I really don't see Lucic or Marchand making the same "discipline, honor, or integrity" cut-line...do you?

How bout Burrows kneeing Duncan Keith in the balls? Now it couldn't happen to someone more deserving but still..

It's a joke that Burr got an invite to team Canada this year, nothing he has done THIS year warranted a spot on the team.

Last year? Absolutely, but if we're sending invites based on reputation..

How bout Burrows kneeing Duncan Keith in the balls? Now it couldn't happen to someone more deserving but still..

It's a joke that Burr got an invite to team Canada this year, nothing he has done THIS year warranted a spot on the team.

Last year? Absolutely, but if we're sending invites based on reputation..

Don't forget the diving and embellishment...gotta admit, Burr and Kes have grown up a little and have done less of the shenanigans over the past couple of seasons mainly because they were hurting the team more than helping with their childish antics (and not getting any calls go in their favor).

Maybe Marchand will realize that he's putting his teammates at a disadvantage because of his rat-like ways and will change...not likely, and we probably don't want him to because the way he is today makes him hate-able, which makes for great drama around these parts.

The sport of hockey needs its villains and opposing players to hate on...that and providing biased commentary is all part of being a sports fan, no matter who you cheer for. Bring on more villains (for me the only guy that has no place in the NHL is Matt Cooke...but that's just my thing...doesn't mean he should be out).

Jacobs needs his villains & their subsequent drama in Boston. There's too much competition for the almighty dollar. It sets them apart from the family-fare offered-up by the tamer major league sports. Their traditional niche demands that they fight to preserve on-ice violence, bully tactics & blood sport. MMA & WWE fans aren't far-off their young target market along with the hard-core traditionalists. The Chairman knows kiddies dont drink beers while in the seats,...& that pacifists won't sell the game in the newspapers. They need all kinds of drama & the BAD-BOY rep to stand-out.

The Bruins won't change their sctick until the rules force them to alter course. The BOG Chairman owns 'em & leads the fight against any movement that attempts to bring pressures to bear that would change their style of play. He thumbs his nose at the players' Unions, lawyers, doctors & scientists & those other leagues..&exercises some indirect control over refereeing standards of the NHLOA.

I am personally of the unpopular opinion that Burrows is filth. Kesler has reeled it in, but he too used to be pretty low. Notice his effectiveness has dropped off, as well.

It's homer colored glasses. You can't expect people to honestly judge themselves with the same critical eye as they would the team that beat them in the SCF.

Archived