The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nucks to name new head coach following GM hire - Barry Trotz leading candidate

TheRussianRocket.

Latest:

@sportsnetmurph:

When Jim Benning is in place as #canucks GM the search for a new head coach will begin in earnest.

@sportsnetmurph:

Barry Trotz may be a candidate for the #canucks vacant coaching job but my sources say no one has been interviewed for the position yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original:

@DarrenDreger:

Expect the Vancouver Canucks to finally name Jim Benning as their new GM later this week. Hiring coach will be next. Trotz high on the list.

@DarrenDreger:

Mentioned Trotz as the obvious top candidate for Canucks coaching job following Benning hire...

Reports say Canucks are to name a new head coach soon after the inevitable Jim Benning hiring. Barry Trotz is the top choice at this point. He fits the criteria Linden wants in a coach too so it's not hard to imagine Trotz as the bench boss.

@nucksmisconduct:

Linden says hes looking for a teacher who knows how to communicate well with his players and believes their style of play is way to success

@GlobalBC:

Linden says he's looking for a career coach, with experience, a teacher, good communicator, distinct style of play... #canucks

All pieces seem to add up, not to mention Trotz has a home in Vernon which he said would make it "absolutely" possible to coach in Vancouver a few weeks ago.

As for the defensive label Barry has gotten from his days in Nashville, it's a bit misleading to say so considering what he had to work with in terms of players available. The one year he did have a stacked offensive team he made the team a top 5 scoring team that season; he chooses style of play in regards to what he has and makes it so the players can play to their advantage. Here's an article where Trotz talks about his coaching style and clears up the smoke

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2014/05/13/barry-trotz-coaching-search-update/9057737/

What do you think about some of the talk from the Predators about wanting to be more 'offensive minded' as an organization moving forward?

"Like anything, it's just an opinion on what they want, and I'm OK with it. I try to assess our talent, and I play our talent the way I think it allows us to win hockey games. When we had people in the more offensive mode, we played more offensively. We were very aggressive right out of the chute as an expansion team we were really aggressive because we didn't have a lot of (goal scorers). I assess the talent and I assess the situation, too. Last year was a difficult situation with goaltending going down and a very young, inexperienced defense and just trying to put something in order for them so we could be successful and win hockey games. That's what my job is, to assess the talent and put something in place that can help us develop and win hockey games. Every situation and every year is different. At the start of the year we had one thing in mind of how we were going to play. When Pekka (Rinne) went down, it changed the way we did things. It changed the way we did business for me."

How do you find the right fit for yourself?

"You look at all the possibilities objectively and sort of go through the positives and negatives of every one. It has to be a fit with the people you work with. It has to be a fit for my family, and it has to be a fit in terms of what I'm looking for in terms of working with someone. I think the relationship part is pretty key, and in some situations, whoever the general manager is if they want me having a relationship with the general manager in terms of a dialogue and communication that's pretty good. That's what I had with David (Poile) in Nashville, was a lot of communication, so I think it's really important."

Trotz is one of the most intelligent coaches this league has had and still remains one of the best. His expertise and experience would gel very well with the current roster and he'd know how to coach in order to get maximum results by playing to the players advantages.

While this thread is here, what do we do with Glen G?

I would imagine keep him if they are in fact looking at Desjardins as an assistant.

They would have fired him already if they were going to IMO.

From the sounds of it, the powerplay problems weren't all his fault. The lack of practice time and focus on special teams, seems to be what caused the problem.

I would imagine keep him if they are in fact looking at Desjardins as an assistant.

From the sounds of it, the powerplay problems weren't all his fault. The lack of practice time and focus on special teams, seems to be what caused the problem.

Ya I'm in favour of keeping him, but maybe Trotz wants to pick his own guys? I'd rather have management pick the assistants anyways and if that's the case then Glen is staying.

Thread #4 of the exact same topic.

But I will bite. I still want Oates as PP coach or Assistant/associate coach. Glen G could be a great assistant coach under Trotz or in a pinch and amazing 2 way between Vancouver and Utica.

So, Glen Gulutzen is the PP coach, would he be able to be a good defense coach so we can make room for someone like Adam Oates?

And Willie Desjardins is a defensive style coach?

Thread #4 of the exact same topic.

But I will bite. I still want Oates as PP coach or Assistant/associate coach. Glen G could be a great assistant coach under Trotz or in a pinch and amazing 2 way between Vancouver and Utica.

Let management pick the coaches. I hate when coaches come as a package deal like with Tortorella and Sullivan, or AV and Bowness.

Pick the best coaches available for each position.

Let management pick the coaches. I hate when coaches come as a package deal like with Tortorella and Sullivan, or AV and Bowness.

Pick the best coaches available for each position.

I am with that. And as such I have a hard time believing that Trotz as head coach, Oates as PP or assistant and Gulutzan as PP assistant or two way between Utica would negatively affect this team.

In all honesty I think of Oates working with the twins....and I giggle

I am with that. And as such I have a hard time believing that Trotz as head coach, Oates as PP or assistant and Gulutzan as PP assistant or two way between Utica would negatively affect this team.

In all honesty I think of Oates working with the twins....and I giggle

Oates with the twins and Trotz with Kesler, Edler and Hamhuis.... Wooh

If both Benning and Trotz are indeed hired, those have been the two hires I've wanted the most all along.

It's like all my dreams coming true at once. I'm psyched beyond words IF this is true.

Yep I think the educated Canucks' fan can agree these will be two of the most solid hirings possible.

Archived