The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nucks to name new head coach following GM hire - Barry Trotz leading candidate

TheRussianRocket.

I am sorry i just do not want to see Trotz behind the bench during this major facelift that is about to take place. TL has indicated he is going for exciting and entertaining players to bring back the fun to the rink for the fans. I for one do not want neutral zone dominance to be what we are known for. The fans want to see fast, tenacious, wide open hockey. Trotz does not coach that way. He could as others have suggested if given the tools, I fully disagree.

I want Offence ! We lack scoring. How about we focus on scoring to win. Look at the line up do we have a 40+ scorer no. LEts hire the GM and hope to the Hockey Gods the right man for the job is found.

I remember that Dec 2011 game between Nashville and Vancouver. Where Nashville won like 6-5. I'd call that a pretty exciting game.

If Trotz does end up as coach I wonder if there will be any positive effect on Dan Hamhuis. I mean Hamhuis has worked with Trotz during Dan's development period. I wonder how working with each other will work out.

I want to see this team WIN. If it means playing "trap" hockey and being "boring" then bring it on! Some of you sound ridiculous when you repeat each other in saying you want "exciting" hockey. As if you even know what that means. Exciting and entertaining hockey is seeing this team win and hopefully see them lift the cup. Take your "exciting hockey" broken record garbage somewhere else.

One thing about Trotz, if he's hired, you can bet that even before the team arrives for the 2014-15 season's training camp, he'll have already studied every player on the roster, from top to bottom, and he'll have a very good idea of their strengths and weaknesses and what roles he feels they are suited for.

He will not arrive saying crap like "I'm intrigued by the Edler" and leave ten months later saying "Eds is a guy I didn't get to."

Trotz will make sure he starts "getting to" his guys from day one and he'll build from there.

Here's a 2012 quote that sums up his coaching philosophy fairly well (decent article too--see link below):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/the-rules-of-predators-coach-barry-trotz/article4100299/?page=all

Sounds like a guy who'd be a real breath of fresh air in Vancouver, especially for a "post-Torts" Canucks team.

love the article, thanks for sharing

I would like to see exciting hockey, I think you can win and be exciting too.

It amazes me how many commentators and journalists (and even fans of other teams) are now prepared to praise the 2011 team and their dynamic style, who were for whatever reason, loath to do it at the time. I suppose that is life.

If I was to define it I would probably highlight the 2011 Canucks and NYR and the Habs in this years SC.

I think it involves maximising the Sedins where they are most potent, I loved the interplay between Raymond, Sammy and Kesler and would love to see Kesler get back to that type of game with the right partners. What I don't want to see ever again is collapsing defence.

A form return for Burr would help and someone who can carry the puck out of defence and make the kind of stretch passes we used to make. For me that player would be PK. Maybe we will get it down the line from his brother.

A good coach isn't going to turn this team around. Look at AV - he did horribly with the same team in the post-season, then goes to NYR and looks like he's poised to be in the Cup Finals again with a decent team that's well constructed.

The pressure's on Benning here. Yes, Trotz will get our defence looking the best it ever has, and will make whoever's in net play well statistically, but our GM needs to bring Cup-winning pieces here.

Firstly, the Canucks need proven playoff performers. Looking around the league, those who have done well in the past are doing well in the present, current playoffs. St. Louis and Richards are re-united and playing like their former MVP selves like they did in their Tampa cup run. Briere is a big reason why Montreal is even in the Conference finals, he's a proven playoff contributer. Then you look at the West where you have two teams studded with playoff performers who have been in the Conference finals pretty much every one of the last 5 seasons.

It's one thing to get a coach to make his players playoff-ready, it's another to find players who simply lift their game and thrive in the post-season, and that's Benning's biggest task. He has to go out there and either sign or trade for proven playoff performers, preferably who played a big role in a Cup win, because these are the players who bring it together on new teams and thrive.

The next thing he has to do is find some offensive depth, maybe a veteran goalie and we're as good as any other contender in this league.

We better have a brilliant assistant coach and trotz better be open to new ideas....

what's wrong with trotz's old ideas of coaching the players he's given, implementing a system that plays to their strengths, and putting them in positions to succeed?

One thing about Trotz, if he's hired, you can bet that even before the team arrives for the 2014-15 season's training camp, he'll have already studied every player on the roster, from top to bottom, and he'll have a very good idea of their strengths and weaknesses and what roles he feels they are suited for.

He will not arrive saying crap like "I'm intrigued by the Edler" and leave ten months later saying "Eds is a guy I didn't get to."

Trotz will make sure he starts "getting to" his guys from day one and he'll build from there.

Here's a 2012 quote that sums up his coaching philosophy fairly well (decent article too--see link below):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/the-rules-of-predators-coach-barry-trotz/article4100299/?page=all

Sounds like a guy who'd be a real breath of fresh air in Vancouver, especially for a "post-Torts" Canucks team.

Your summary is what it is all about.

Trotz's Nashville goodbye news conference showed a coach who seriously has his head screwed on right. He gave all the credit to the org and thanked them for it. Said it was all about the players and devising a game that would make them successful. Coaching to the players rather than to a system is something that I always struggle with. It makes sense if the coaching is effective, not always the case.

A good coach isn't going to turn this team around. Look at AV - he did horribly with the same team in the post-season, then goes to NYR and looks like he's poised to be in the Cup Finals again with a decent team that's well constructed.

The pressure's on Benning here. Yes, Trotz will get our defence looking the best it ever has, and will make whoever's in net play well statistically, but our GM needs to bring Cup-winning pieces here.

Firstly, the Canucks need proven playoff performers. Looking around the league, those who have done well in the past are doing well in the present, current playoffs. St. Louis and Richards are re-united and playing like their former MVP selves like they did in their Tampa cup run. Briere is a big reason why Montreal is even in the Conference finals, he's a proven playoff contributer. Then you look at the West where you have two teams studded with playoff performers who have been in the Conference finals pretty much every one of the last 5 seasons.

It's one thing to get a coach to make his players playoff-ready, it's another to find players who simply lift their game and thrive in the post-season, and that's Benning's biggest task. He has to go out there and either sign or trade for proven playoff performers, preferably who played a big role in a Cup win, because these are the players who bring it together on new teams and thrive.

The next thing he has to do is find some offensive depth, maybe a veteran goalie and we're as good as any other contender in this league.

All of what you say has some truth. The issue with the Canucks is whether one thinks this core can

seriously contend for a CUP in the next 2 years. IMO they cannot without serious moves that you suggest-

ed. I am more inclined to think this core cannot do it.

Goaltending: 2 great young prospects. Not yet CUP quality.

D-core: a veteran group that is CUP quality.

Offense: Top Six: been a disaster for 2 seasons. Henrik and Kesler are the core. Henrik makes most of

his wingers better players, Kesler has not consistently shown that ability. Sticking with the Twins,

Burrows and Kesler is a gamble that a new coach can revive Danny and Burrows. That a new GM can bring in 2 CUP quality wingers that Kesler can play with. Trotz said in his presser that it is about the players and not a X & O game.

Bottom SIX: There has been some improvement in depth here compared to 2 years ago. Richardson, Mathias are solid C's IMO. They will be pushed by prospects. Higgins, Kassian, Jensen and Hansen are all

potential 3rd line wingers. If Van actually got a coach who would commit to a 4th line with a role the

pieces are there.

My issue with a win in the next 2 years idea is the risk it places on the org. It is a gamble to think that the top 6 can be rejuvenated into a serious CUP contender. It could happen especially if Kassian

does make the jump to top 6 which I think he is very close to. I suggest that the new GM's biggest job

will be converting his vets into pics and prospects and refocusing the org for CUP contention in 3 - 4

years. It is a tough decision but orgs that have not done it have truly emptied their asset cupboards

and started from the bottom. (CAL & EDM)

If Kesler wants out then this issue is answered. Replacing a world class C will be almost impossible by

trade. At best an acquisition of a younger prospect or the evolution of a pic like Horvat.Again the time line gets pushed forward.

Well I think the Canuck core matches and betters the Habs and up until they met NYR and lost their No1 goalie they were doing fine. I would also say they would match NYR if they had a goalie like Lundqvist.

The Habs all play to roles and know their roles and imo that is all this Canucks core needs. Someone who is simpatico with their core's optimum style and can design a system around it.

We seem too keen to throw our players under the bus.

Oh and many of us seem to have forgotten Santo and the impact he made before being injured. If he regains that form after his injury, he will be a welcome addition.

Trotz seems like a very smart coach, and you can't ignore the fact he got the Preds to the playoffs 7 times over a stretch of 8 years (missed playoffs by 3 points the one year) despite having one of the lowest salaries.

The reason Trotz coached a defensively style was because he really didn't have anyone who could score. Take 2010-2011 for example. A castaway player in Sergei Kostitsyn lead the team in scoring, followed by Erat who has 4 goals in 80 games since leaving Nashville and then Hornqvist, a 23 year old 7th round pick.

Experienced coaches don't need to study advanced stats, all they have to do is analyze the game as it's happening and adjust accordingly.

The Canucks need a calm, patient, details oriented coach. Trotz is that coach.

Joel Quenneville gets real time advanced stats updates during games.

But he's totally inexperienced right?

What a dumb post.

when did you change your tune?

and the last couple minutes of that press conference are exactly why he'd be perfect in vancouver. you coach the people, not the team.

This man is a genuine, fantastic person. I watched the whole interview and alsmost got teary eyed myself. Theres a lot of passion there, and I would welcome this individual in this organization with open arms. My favortie part of the interview was from the 19:20 minute on. He has a lot of juice left. I would love to have this man coach the Canucks.

Joel Quenneville gets real time advanced stats updates during games.

But he's totally inexperienced right?

What a dumb post.

Joel Quenneville is a smart coach but when you have Kane, Towes, Hossa, Sharp, Saad, Seabrook, Keith as your core players along with Scotty Bowman as the senior advisor, its hard not to win the cup advanced stats or not. Am not saying those stats don't help when it comes to coaching but I want to know if the majority of NHL coaches use that as their main part of their coaching strategy. Does Darryl Sutter, Mike Babcock, Dan Bylsma or Calude Julien use the same stats when it comes to coaching?

Joel Quenneville is a smart coach but when you have Kane, Towes, Hossa, Sharp, Saad, Seabrook, Keith as your core players along with Scotty Bowman as the senior advisor, its hard not to win the cup advanced stats or not. Am not saying those stats don't help when it comes to coaching but I want to know if the majority of NHL coaches use that as their main part of their coaching strategy. Does Darryl Sutter, Mike Babcock, Dan Bylsma or Calude Julien use the same stats when it comes to coaching?

I know Hitchcock and Mclellan do.

Good, he rarely had a decent offense team in Nashville atleast here we got the Sedins, Kesler. Tortz knows how to coach, he is an expert at the defense side of the game and maybe Edler can bounce back.

Burrows would be a top 3 forward on Nashville.

Unfortuntaley, he's a top 3 forward here too. :sadno:

I honestly think he's the only man capable of doing so. If not him, throw in the towel and ship him out.

You gotta give him the right personnel, he's never had a worthy RHD partner besides Bieksa whom we know is a bad pairing. When Edler played with Salo they were pretty decent.

Archived