The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nucks to name new head coach following GM hire - Barry Trotz leading candidate

TheRussianRocket.

TSN insiders also had the leafs offering Oates an assistant position but are letting him search out HC opportunities first.

If he is okay with potentially being an assistant / associate coach curious to see if TL/JB interview this guy as the PP coach

Agreed! Trotz with Benning as a GM and an owner willing to spend to the cap could be a great story.

Aye, it could at that!

He's interviewed with the Caps, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's interviewed with others as well. Lots of shakeups going on this offseason.

Question: Was Nashville the team that reportedly had Horvat ranked as high as fifth but passed on him when Jones dropped to four? Interesting to see if Trotz can mold a player like Horvat into a future selke winner. Hire this man!

For those in favour of hiring Trotz: We'd better hope we're at the top of HIS list because he'll have his pick of teams to go to.

He frickin lives in Vernon, he better want to coach the Canucks if they offer him the job. The only reason he wouldn't is because the damn fans are bat sheet crazy.

So uninformed

And exactly what information are you in possession of that the poster you "replied" to is not?

This is a discussion board so if you have info to the contrary we're all ears.

I'll expect you to provide some hard evidence of trotz coaching an upbeat offensive style, or just assume adding useless comments like "So uninformed" J@cks off your ego.

8 missed playoffs, 5 first round exits and 2 second round exits.

I suppose with Nashville, that is a pretty decent performance, however I remain to be convinced he is the best available. Having said that, if Benning wants him I will be right behind him.

Coach evaluation seems so difficult. What seems to work in one Club is a disaster in another and vice versa. I'm glad I don't have the responsibility for the hiring.

I would say though that we are a slightly on the side of veteran team hoping to get younger and the new man must have a synergy effect with regard to the young players as well as the trust of the established core players

I like the idea of Desjardins.

"His teams were always well prepared and they always played hard,” said Hay, who’s returning to Kamloops for his second stint at Blazers head coach. “Willie is a real genuine person and a real quality coach. His teams will always come at you hard and play a real uptempo game. Everywhere he’s gone, he’s had success.

"“He can work with all kinds of athletes and that’s what he wants to be known as — a guy who’s not one-dimensional. He’s coached at all different levels and really fits in well with a variety of people. He showed he wants to be a (NHL) head coach, too.”

You almost think maybe this guy would have been a better choice than Tortorella. He seems very fluid and adaptable, while still gleaning success at every level. He seems ready to take the step up especially with a strong character like Benning behind him and a trusted tandem like the Sedins ready to bring on the expected youth injection.

trotz for the future! he would be great to dev the young players.

he is untested with a team that can potentially win the cup - but... are we really there? I'd say no. 5 years away anyways.

I've had a change of mind - he would be good - and he could make the playoffs consistently, and learn to win with the rest of the team.

best alternative out there - unless you like Bylsma?

For those in favour of hiring Trotz: We'd better hope we're at the top of HIS list because he'll have his pick of teams to go to.

Van is a pretty good option if you look at the teams requiring a coach this year.

I like the idea of Desjardins.

"His teams were always well prepared and they always played hard,” said Hay, who’s returning to Kamloops for his second stint at Blazers head coach. “Willie is a real genuine person and a real quality coach. His teams will always come at you hard and play a real uptempo game. Everywhere he’s gone, he’s had success.

"“He can work with all kinds of athletes and that’s what he wants to be known as — a guy who’s not one-dimensional. He’s coached at all different levels and really fits in well with a variety of people. He showed he wants to be a (NHL) head coach, too.”

You almost think maybe this guy would have been a better choice than Tortorella. He seems very fluid and adaptable, while still gleaning success at every level. He seems ready to take the step up especially with a strong character like Benning behind him and a trusted tandem like the Sedins ready to bring on the expected youth injection.

aside from rehiring torts, Desjardins is my least favorite idea. Untested, and did a poor job with the WJ teams.

WASH: is a disaster. The last 3 coaches could not deal with Ovy. He is a coach killer!

Florida: The problem there is money. Not enough of it. Trotz has seen that movie already!

Vancouver: Spend to the CAP every year. New GM which would indicate a honeymoon period where real

changes could be made if that is what it takes.

No doubt that Van is the plum job.

So from the presser today:

"We want a coach that is firm, but fair, that has good communication skills so he can relate to the players. We want a coach that is going to play a structured style of game when we don't have the puck, but give the players the freedom to skate and create when they do have the puck."

"The new coach does not necessarily need head-coaching experience at the NHL level, but must have a winning resume".

It's that last part that's interesting for me.

Does "winning resume" mean that the candidate has to have won something like a division, conference, league title, gold medal...?

I'm trying to figure out if/how Trotz would fit into this requirement given the Preds have never won a thing.

Would simply surviving as a head coach in this league for 15 years be considered a winning resume?

Mind you, Trotz did win a Calder Cup in 1994 so I guess he does make the cut that way.

Archived