The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nucks to name new head coach following GM hire - Barry Trotz leading candidate

TheRussianRocket.

Willie Desjardins does fit that profile....my money is on him being the next Vancouver coach.

Yes, that's going to be great: rookie president, rookie GM and rookie coach. What are the odds that all of them will work out?

Benning already knows who he wants for a coach, when asked if the coach would have to have NHL experience, he said no. Fairly easy to decipher from there!

He never said that he wanted a coach that had no experience, he simply stated that he didnt believe the next coach HAD TO HAVE NHL experience. I think you are misconstruing his words for your own benefit.

He never said that he wanted a coach that had no experience, he simply stated that he didnt believe the next coach HAD TO HAVE NHL experience. I think you are misconstruing his words for your own benefit.

I fail to see how its to my benefit, I like Trotz!

But I think he would have said the new coach will have to have NHL experience if he was planning on hiring Trotz or someone of his ilk.

This here is a man that's passionate about coaching:

One thing people have to consider about hiring Trotz is the impact it will have on attracting free agents. He has a very solid reputation as a players coach, and someone you want to play for. Add that to an organization that wants to win and is willing to spend, and you have a very desirable package.

Sometimes a Coach is just a Coach....I think people need to redefine their understanding of the word "Coach" ,

Trotz would be a perfect fit...people seem to glide over the fact that he had to experience the gauntlet that is

expansion and in a market that most ( Including me ) saw as doomed to failure from the start...they are still there, AND they are doing just fine, 17 years later. It will take a Coach with that experience to help the Canucks with the transition

they are currently experiencing and it will save them years of "Oiler" like rebuilding....I personally hope he is interested

in the Canucks position and I am NOT of the belief that its a done deal , EVERYONE in hockey knows Trotz and what he brings and there are at least 8 other teams that will take him in a Nashville minute and will drop any amount to get him....this will be his choice like a buffet of Cash....Lets all hope he LOVES the Canucks offer

Looks like it might be it for Trotz?

Looks like his relationship with Washington's owner made a big impact.

As much as I like Trotz's character and experience, this may be a blessing in disguise.

I still personally think Stevens is the guy we need to go with. If we can get Desjardins or Oates on top of that, that would be awesome.

The more I hear about Dejardins the less I care about Trotz.

Especially after the guy said he's in no rush to get a job then takes the Washington job after 1 interview.

Right now I think I am

1a Dejardins

1b Trotz

2 Stevens

I would rather have Desjardins than Trotz. Barry Trotz's experience is mostly running a defensive low scoring team. You can say that he didn't have the players to play an offensive game but it doesn't hide the fact that he hasn't had much experience running a high scoring team. Desjardins has suceeded at every level and does have that experience. To me, Barry Trotz is one demensional.

Linden has stated that he wants to play a puck possession style....that doesn't seem like Barry Trotz style to me.

And just WHAT high flying offensive team lives in Vancouver ? Midget AA ??? This is NOT a high scoring offensive juggernaut , I cant see how we turned into one this off season ....

It feels good to say that I honestly believe that Trevor and Jim will find a very good head coach for this team. I have liked all the things that Benning has been saying so far and I doubt that will stop when making a coaching decision.

Desjardins, Stevens, Cassidy (Providence Bruins), Bylsma(?), Oates are likely some of the candidates on the list.

I don't see them hiring a rookie NHL coach at this point. Fresh face, but, the pressure is on, and I think most of this fanbase is far to impatient to see a rebuild taking 5 years.

I didn't either but he's coached the Texas Stars to 48-18 and now in the AHL Western Conference final and looking at the roster they have almost no real draft developing players, just life time AHLers

I was very wary but, I am starting to think it's the way to go, just look at the moustache

desjardins200.jpg

Regarding advanced stats, I think Benning's said it best.

"Until they can quantify courage and heart, advance stats don't mean much to me"

But the thing is, they do quantify courage and heart. If courage and heart don't translate into some kind of tangible stat - and not just goals/assists, but blocked shots, hits, takeaways, TOI, etc. - then I dare to say they're not adding much anyway.

I didn't either but he's coached the Texas Stars to 48-18 and now in the AHL Western Conference final and looking at the roster they have almost no real draft developing players, just life time AHLers

I was very wary but, I am starting to think it's the way to go, just look at the moustache

desjardins200.jpg

The emergence of Desjardins here is kind of surprising. Rookie President, rookie GM, rookie head coach at 57 years old? All handling a very veteran team? Not your everyday formula for sure. I smell an old Medicine Hat connection.

Had wayyyy too much time to waste this weekend.

WaitingForTrotz.jpg

Wondering if the Vancouver Media speculation will go three for three and nail a hat-trick.

Waiting and hoping if the Linden-Benning-Trotz will strike Cup for us.

The Capitals as far as I'm concerned (Trotz stated himself that he's wary of joining a team that hasn't got a GM in place) may or may not get Trotz. Depends on how fast the Canucks are willing to move.

Unless we're talking about a 5 year rebuild, Desjardins is "learning on the job" here as a NHL head coach. If Trotz isn't available, I'd prefer Stevens as a head coach. At least he has experience at the NHL level.

This here is a man that's passionate about coaching:

One thing people have to consider about hiring Trotz is the impact it will have on attracting free agents. He has a very solid reputation as a players coach, and someone you want to play for. Add that to an organization that wants to win and is willing to spend, and you have a very desirable package.

I'm huge a fan of Trotzy the man but luke warm on him as a coach. He did some great things in Nash but very little in the way of playoff success

PS did anyone notice that he forgot to bring his neck to the presser?

Archived