The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nucks to name new head coach following GM hire - Barry Trotz leading candidate

TheRussianRocket.

If both Benning and Trotz are indeed hired, those have been the two hires I've wanted the most all along.

It's like all my dreams coming true at once. I'm psyched beyond words IF this is true.

Benning is my first choice and if he wants Trotz I am all in!

If Benning has to put the team together, he needs the right coach to make it work!

Go Canucks :towel:

Gotta say (like I did last summer when they hired Torts), I think they're making a huge mistake if they hire Trotz. He's never coached a team with strong puck possession metrics. His team has had abysmal, red flag type possession #'s - and that's beyond concerning. Watching the Predators, looking at the teams advanced stats, usages etc - my concern level is as high as when they hired Torts.

This teams needs a new school, innovative thinker who uses/understands advanced stats. Who understands it's a new NHL and knows how to adapt to it. Not Trotz.

Gotta say (like I did last summer when they hired Torts), I think they're making a huge mistake if they hire Trotz. He's never coached a team with strong puck possession metrics. His team has had abysmal, red flag type possession #'s - and that's beyond concerning. Watching the Predators, looking at the teams advanced stats, usages etc - my concern level is as high as when they hired Torts.

This teams needs a new school, innovative thinker who uses/understands advanced stats. Who understands it's a new NHL and knows how to adapt to it.

Why do you think that was a result of Trotz systems and not his forward group?

This teams needs a new school, innovative thinker who uses/understands advanced stats. Who understands it's a new NHL and knows how to adapt to it. Not Trotz.

If Benning is the new GM, he will know the type of team he wants to build and the type of coach that will make it effective.

If Benning believes Trotz is the guy, then I believe Trotz will be the best guy to implement the new team direction.

If Benning chooses someone else, I am good with that too!

Go Canucks :towel:

Experienced coaches don't need to study advanced stats, all they have to do is analyze the game as it's happening and adjust accordingly.

The Canucks need a calm, patient, details oriented coach. Trotz is that coach.

Experienced coaches don't need to study advanced stats, all they have to do is analyze the game as it's happening and adjust accordingly.

The Canucks need a calm, patient, details oriented coach. Trotz is that coach.

Exactly. Advanced stats are so over-rated. They may use it from time to time as a teaching aid or to prove something to a player but I don't think many coaches care about them. It's like you said just simply open your eyes and coach.

I'm sure the subject came up during the interview process, and Benning gave his blessing on Trotz.

Does Linden know the right coach for this team from a hole in the ground?

I would have figured Benning is only signing on if he has full control over who is going to be coach.

Thats usually how it works anyways.

Let management pick the coaches. I hate when coaches come as a package deal like with Tortorella and Sullivan, or AV and Bowness.

Pick the best coaches available for each position.

yeah but at the same time the head coach has say over how the team is run.. so if management goes and gets assistants that dont fit with the head coach or have clashing ideas on how things should be run it would create huge problems..its the head coach who has to work with them every day ..the head coach knows hows he wanst the team to play and he knows the guys who he wants running the PP PK defence ect...

Reports say Canucks are to name a new head coach soon after the inevitable Jim Benning hiring. Barry Trotz is the top choice at this point. He fits the criteria Linden wants in a coach too so it's not hard to imagine Trotz as the bench boss.

All pieces seem to add up, not to mention Trotz has a home in Vernon which he said would make it "absolutely" possible to coach in Vancouver a few weeks ago.

As for the defensive label Barry has gotten from his days in Nashville, it's a bit misleading to say so considering what he had to work with in terms of players available. The one year he did have a stacked offensive team he made the team a top 5 scoring team that season; he chooses style of play in regards to what he has and makes it so the players can play to their advantage. Here's an article where Trotz talks about his coaching style and clears up the smoke

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2014/05/13/barry-trotz-coaching-search-update/9057737/

Trotz is one of the most intelligent coaches this league has had and still remains one of the best. His expertise and experience would gel very well with the current roster and he'd know how to coach in order to get maximum results by playing to the players advantages.

Exactly what I wanted. Benning as the GM and Trotz as the coach. Linden must've been reading my mind all along.

Now if Linden could hire Tim Burke as the head of scouting department, everything will be gravy. I wonder if Aqualini could throw lots of money Tim Burke's way and convince him to join the Canucks before the draft starts?

Does Linden know the right coach for this team from a hole in the ground?

I would have figured Benning is only signing on if he has full control over who is going to be coach.

Thats usually how it works anyways.

Have you talked to Linden or Benning recently? Do you hang out with them and know what is going on?

IF no, then please stop making stupid speculations and assumptions. Maybe Linden talked to Benning before hiring the coach. Linden isn't stupid and he knows a lot more about hockey than anyone on this board, including you. In fact, Linden probably has a lot more NHL connections than Gillis so he knows whats up.

yeah but at the same time the head coach has say over how the team is run.. so if management goes and gets assistants that dont fit with the head coach or have clashing ideas on how things should be run it would create huge problems..its the head coach who has to work with them every day ..the head coach knows hows he wanst the team to play and he knows the guys who he wants running the PP PK defence ect...

The funny thing in this thread, it seems like most of you guys already have experience running an NHL team. Am sure Linden will make the right decisions, after all, he has played in the NHL for a couple of decades and has represented the NHLPA at the highest level.

Archived