The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nucks to name new head coach following GM hire - Barry Trotz leading candidate

TheRussianRocket.

Ya, the earliest season you can find advanced stats online is 07/08. Extra skater, Behind the Net, also another great site for WOWYs etc: Link

It's kind of odd that we don't really know what this teams plan is for next season. Are they re-buidling, re-tooling? I wonder if Lindens doesn't know and he's waiting for a new GM to determine this.

First off, thanks for the link, RW. Added that to my folder of hockey bookmarks. :)

Unfortunately, we can't see the possession stats for the Preds' best offensive years, which was 2005-7; those were the numbers I was the most curious to see.

This is only speculation, but based on Linden's comments when he was hired and the assumption that Benning is indeed the next GM, I'd guess that they're going to shoot for a "rebuild-on-the-fly". Benning's strength is his scouting background, so even if we do rebuild, it'd be years before we'd see the fruits of his labour specifically.

In the meantime, the organization is infamously handcuffed with a lot of NTC/NMC contracts, but I'd expect if there's a reasonable offer to convert some of the Canucks moveable assets into picks/prospects, they'll do it. In other words, I don't expect wholesale changes (which is fine) but there'll probably be some reduction of the old core; I think the Canucks still need to retain a strong veteran presence to bring up whatever youth can be served.

First off, thanks for the link, RW. Added that to my folder of hockey bookmarks. :)

Unfortunately, we can't see the possession stats for the Preds' best offensive years, which was 2005-7; those were the numbers I was the most curious to see.

This is only speculation, but based on Linden's comments when he was hired and the assumption that Benning is indeed the next GM, I'd guess that they're going to shoot for a "rebuild-on-the-fly". Benning's strength is his scouting background, so even if we do rebuild, it'd be years before we'd see the fruits of his labour specifically.

In the meantime, the organization is infamously handcuffed with a lot of NTC/NMC contracts, but I'd expect if there's a reasonable offer to convert some of the Canucks moveable assets into picks/prospects, they'll do it. In other words, I don't expect wholesale changes (which is fine) but there'll probably be some reduction of the old core; I think the Canucks still need to retain a strong veteran presence to bring up whatever youth can be served.

The bolded actually makes a ton of sense and is very intriguing. Rebuild-retool, call it whatever you want but doing it on the fly could work. Have Benning who can get the pieces here, and Trotz who can coach anyone to succeed. Call me crazy but if you were to retool on the fly, what better people to do it with than those 2?

If both Benning and Trotz are indeed hired, those have been the two hires I've wanted the most all along.

It's like all my dreams coming true at once. I'm psyched beyond words IF this is true.

I'm psyched that your psyched. And you are right to be psyched.

Idk why people are so sucked into this thought. He only played a boring defensive game cause it was the elements he had to play with. Had he be given better cards with more talent he would adapt to make the players play to their strenghts. Like Trotz says, he doesn't coach teams, he coaches people. Most coaches just have a strategy and implement it everywhere they go no matter what; he coaches the people/the players and the players he had wouldn't play to the best of their ability if he made it offensive cause they simply weren't. In 05/06/07, he finally got some juicy players on the roster and he adapted like he says. Didn't keep it, coached the player, and people are far to quick to forget of they didn't witness it but those 2 years, Preds were one of the deadliest teams out there just outright electric.

05/06 season he led them too 49 wins and in 06/07 to 51! That is simply put amazing. To say he won't be able to implement an offensive strategy in comparison to most of what he did in Nashville makes no sense cause his track toward says otherwise. When he had the elements he dominated and when he never (basically all but 2 years his tenure there), he did what was best for the team to win and had to play defensive.

05/06 - 49 win season:

Kariya had 85 pts in 82 games, Sullivan 68 in 69 games, YANIC PERRAULT had 57 in 67 games, Timmonen had 50 in 79 games, Erat 50 pts in 80, Zidlicky 49 pts in 67, Hartnell 48 in 81 games, etc.

06/07 - 51 win season:

Kariya had 76 in 82, Dumont 66 in 82, Legwand 63 in 78, Sullivan 60 in 57, Erat 57 in 68, Timmonen 55 in 80, Arnot 54 in 67, Weber 40 in 78, Forsberg 15 in 17, etc.

If that, ^^^, is not enough offense, idk what is. Wake up people and realize Trotzcan play any game. It just depends on the talent he had to work with and if he comes here, I have no doubt he'll be able to play and get some of our offensive players back up in the ranks blasting away.

You changed my mind. I guess that actually happens on the internet sometimes.

One thing about Trotz, if he's hired, you can bet that even before the team arrives for the 2014-15 season's training camp, he'll have already studied every player on the roster, from top to bottom, and he'll have a very good idea of their strengths and weaknesses and what roles he feels they are suited for.

He will not arrive saying crap like "I'm intrigued by the Edler" and leave ten months later saying "Eds is a guy I didn't get to."

Trotz will make sure he starts "getting to" his guys from day one and he'll build from there.

Here's a 2012 quote that sums up his coaching philosophy fairly well (decent article too--see link below):

"I just ask players to play to their potential, and that's all," Trotz said. "You want to put people in positions to succeed. What we've been able to do is look at a player and say, 'what is your talent? What is your real talent?'

"Sometimes, there are certain guys that can't do some things, so you accept them for what they can do and you try to push them closer to what you want them to do and then you try to put them with people that will help them do it."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/the-rules-of-predators-coach-barry-trotz/article4100299/?page=all

Sounds like a guy who'd be a real breath of fresh air in Vancouver, especially for a "post-Torts" Canucks team.

What about Mike Johnston? He's been an associate coach before in the NHL, and coached young guys (including Cederholm) with the Winterhawks in the WHL. I feel like we should get a coach that can coach young players well if we're actually retooling/rebuliding.

I wouldn't mind Trotz, but I think there might be better options.

One thing about Trotz, if he's hired, you can bet that even before the team arrives for the 2014-15 season's training camp, he'll have already studied every player on the roster, from top to bottom, and he'll have a very good idea of their strengths and weaknesses and what roles he feels they are suited for.

He will not arrive saying crap like "I'm intrigued by the Edler" and leave ten months later saying "Eds is a guy I didn't get to."

Trotz will make sure he starts "getting to" his guys from day one and he'll build from there.

Here's a 2012 quote that sums up his coaching philosophy fairly well (decent article too--see link below):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/the-rules-of-predators-coach-barry-trotz/article4100299/?page=all

Sounds like a guy who'd be a real breath of fresh air in Vancouver, especially for a "post-Torts" Canucks team.

That quote just gave me a Trotz-sized man crush! :lol:

Gotta say (like I did last summer when they hired Torts), I think they're making a huge mistake if they hire Trotz. He's never coached a team with strong puck possession metrics. His team has had abysmal, red flag type possession #'s - and that's beyond concerning. Watching the Predators, looking at the teams advanced stats, usages etc - my concern level is as high as when they hired Torts.

This teams needs a new school, innovative thinker who uses/understands advanced stats. Who understands it's a new NHL and knows how to adapt to it. Not Trotz.

How about a suggestion of who's innovative enough and please include your choices previous stats and accolades. Thank you.

The bolded actually makes a ton of sense and is very intriguing. Rebuild-retool, call it whatever you want but doing it on the fly could work. Have Benning who can get the pieces here, and Trotz who can coach anyone to succeed. Call me crazy but if you were to retool on the fly, what better people to do it with than those 2?

Bowman/ Babcock?

What about Mike Johnston? He's been an associate coach before in the NHL, and coached young guys (including Cederholm) with the Winterhawks in the WHL. I feel like we should get a coach that can coach young players well if we're actually retooling/rebuliding.

I wouldn't mind Trotz, but I think there might be better options.

I don't see how we can pry him from Portland

I don't see how we can pry him from Portland

You might be surprised.

Not knowing what's in a man's heart or head, he has lived many years in this city already, it's a step back into the NHL, he has good relationships with the staff, probably a pay increase, and it's another professional challenge.

I don't think it's out of the question even as an assistant.

It would be interesting to know if he was ever seriously considered after it's all said and done.

I am sorry i just do not want to see Trotz behind the bench during this major facelift that is about to take place. TL has indicated he is going for exciting and entertaining players to bring back the fun to the rink for the fans. I for one do not want neutral zone dominance to be what we are known for. The fans want to see fast, tenacious, wide open hockey. Trotz does not coach that way. He could as others have suggested if given the tools, I fully disagree.

I want Offence ! We lack scoring. How about we focus on scoring to win. Look at the line up do we have a 40+ scorer no. LEts hire the GM and hope to the Hockey Gods the right man for the job is found.

Various stats nerds have gone back and manually calculated possession metrics for many teams (for the yrs not posted on Extra Skater etc). You might be able to find them on the net somewhere.

Ya, I assume re-tooling as well -based on Lindens comments.

How about a suggestion of who's innovative enough and please include your choices previous stats and accolades. Thank you.

Should I include my fingerprints too? :P

Stevens would be my choice - as he was last season (and allegedly Gillis's too). LAs been a top possession team for many yrs (esp under his tenure), had success with a great back end (just as Van has a great back end IMO). LA hasn't always been a powerhouse team, but have well above avg possesion metrics since he joined the team (of course, it could be coincidence with a team developing). They use advanced stats, get updates between periods - so he's not only familiar but experienced with them. In particular, I like his usage of the dmen (which was apparently his responsibility). It suggest to me that he would deploy "Sedin like" zone starts for the forwards and d-men to suit they strengths.

We better no see any of that trap BS if Trotz is hired.

I don't even believe the way NASH has played at times should be legal in this league.

Fine, he coached what he was given, like AV when he had the Nucks trapping in '08

But Linden (Not that you'll be reading this) if I see the Canucks dump the puck in and clog the neutral zone you will not get ONE DIME out of me. And if you think I'm the only one willing to withhold dollars based on style of play. try it and find out.

Clogging the neutral zone to force turn overs is NOT HOCKEY it is method used by less talented players to STOP the other team from playing hockey.

It should have outlawed after the devils won the cup in 95' and it's a joke that we even need to be concerned about it in 2014

Archived