The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's put a rest to this "No Barry Trotz because he's too Defensive" argument

Hank Moody

so your saying the most defensive team over the past ten years coached by the one of the most defensive coaches in the history of the league is only a master of the trap out of necessity due to the piss poor excuses such as player talent and lack of resources.

a handful of players have had okay numbers in 15 years with this guy behind the bench.

AV was an nhl coach for what three season before gillis told him to change or find work else were. big difference with a guy thats coached 15 season playing the TRAP and a newer coach.

and is it fair to ask a guy thats seen marginal success in the nhl coaching a specific style to change to an actual entertaining style and what happens when his new style doesn't pan its straight back to the boringest hockey on the planet and not worth the 100+ dollars per ticket.

no to trotz hope he signs on in washington. i for one will be truly disappointed if he's hired. might as well trade every player that has imagination and creativity to get guys that will drone it up and stand a the red line and put the opposition to sleep just like the fans.

Wow, I don't think it gets any more ignorant than this. Most defensive coach in the history of the league? Most defensive team over the past 10 years? Torts is more about defense and shot blocking than Trotz, and Trotz has proven he can adjust his coaching style given the players he has, unlike Torts who had the Sedin's shot blocking for Christ sakes. Trotz is the best option and only option with recent head coaching in the NHL experience aside from what, oates? There isn't another former head coach out there worth looking at.

We can't play defensive hockey anyways because we don't have #1 goalie.

You're a special kind of stupid aren't you? Not having a top tier goalie is more reason to play defensively. But lack isn't so bad where we need to collapse in front of our net and keep throwing the puck in the neutral zone. I'm kind of excited to see some improvement out of him now that he's had some time as a starter and another off season of experience, should do well this season.

You're a special kind of stupid aren't you? Not having a top tier goalie is more reason to play defensively. But lack isn't so bad where we need to collapse in front of our net and keep throwing the puck in the neutral zone. I'm kind of excited to see some improvement out of him now that he's had some time as a starter and another off season of experience, should do well this season.

You may want to make your points without insulting everyone you respond to, or folks will just put you on 'ignore' and you will end up talking to yourself? .. just a thought ..

People saying no to Trotz don't actually have one god-damned clue what they are talking about. All they do is parrot the same garbage they hear from other uninformed simpletons. This is why they aren't running hockey teams. So don't bother listening to these scrubs. Trotz is a great coach, and if we get him we will be lucky.

yeah heaven forbid people have there own opinions. the same parrot comment could be said for all the sheep on why he's a good fit. he has coached a defense first trap for the better part of 15 seasons the predators have been a trap team since they came into the league those are the facts regardless of team personal and financial resources. he might be a great coach but i HATE the style of play he has coached since coming into the league. i've been at games were the preds score first and it SUCKS it the opposite of entrainment.

i have a different opinion the fact you believe we all must think like you makes you a

yeah heaven forbid people have there own opinions. the same parrot comment could be said for all the sheep on why he's a good fit. he has coached a defense first trap for the better part of 15 seasons the predators have been a trap team since they came into the league those are the facts regardless of team personal and financial resources. he might be a great coach but i HATE the style of play he has coached since coming into the league. i've been at games were the preds score first and it SUCKS it the opposite of entrainment.

i have a different opinion the fact you believe we all must think like you makes you a

I really don't give a sh*t on what kind of style of play you do or don't like. The goal is to win a cup. I don't care what style this team has to use to get it done. There is nothing exciting about losing.

I just threw up a little in my mouth...

I do not want solely run n gun. I want any type of consistent scoring. I want to feel goals coming not waiting endlessly for the perfect play to develop. Hockey should be more exciting than a fierce 2-1 tight checking line battle. I grew up watching multiple 50 goal scorers light it up night after night. I have a different view on how the game should be played. Take a chill pill and Relax bro it's only game !

I find the defensive aspect of the game equally entertaining.

I find the defensive aspect of the game equally entertaining.

I think what people fail to realize is that those who are praising the "Boston Model" think that thuggery and big hits is what has given them so much success over the years.

Actually, it's because they're the best Defense in the league. These guys have a system that rarely gives teams any move to maneuver unless they beat them outright on a rush.

Tim Thomas played fantastic in 2011 but, like most Conn smythe winning goalies, it wouldn't have mattered how hot he was if his Défense didn't make life easier for him.

Where is Tim Thomas now?

Why does every goalie who suits up for LA look like a top tier goalie?

Now you guys tell me, is boston "boring"? Do you see them as a "trap team" who plays only a "defensive style"?

I don't think the Nashville Predators are boring because of the style of game they play. They're boring because they don't have anyone on their roster outside of weber or Rinne worth putting on a billboard.

Ugh. Can we have an end of the pimp my Trotz wagon? No. Just No. If I wanted Trotz I'd rehire Torts instead. Torts >>>> Trotz.

Why do we want Nashville's leftovers? He's had 15 years to get 'r' done, and hasn't.

Your opinion is laughably wrong. :lol::picard:

If Trotz gets hired, I'm not going to watch Nashville style hockey on the Canucks. Sorry. I want the Canucks to stay far far away from that dumpster fire of a franchise and that includes rummaging through their refuse.

There are other, better candidates who actually play up-tempo hockey.

Can't tell if trolling or actually serious with ridiculous comments? <_<

His scope of the game is very limited. In a good discussion, all related variables are explored, while he only looks at one.

I do like Trotz. Like much of you, I was a little iffy on how 'defensive' he seemed. But listening to him on the Team 1040 in an interview, he seemed not only like he was an adaptable coach but just generally a smart hockey guy. He seemed pretty level-headed, reflective on his time in Nashville, and I think he learned a lot during his tenure. He seems like he likes to adapt to his players, which not only says that he isn't purely defensive, it also means that he'll understand his players a lot better. That is good in many ways. I've gotten pretty irritated with my friends that've said, "Ughhh... Trotz the defensive coach..." I've done some pretty extensive reading and he certainly doesn't deserve to be painted with that brush. If we sign him, I'll be happy.

I really don't give a sh*t on what kind of style of play you do or don't like. The goal is to win a cup. I don't care what style this team has to use to get it done. There is nothing exciting about losing.

so the goal is to win a cup and hope the band wagon fills up because the crap style and extremly boring hockey won't sell tickets. (not in canada) not to mention theres nothing exciting about scoring one goal and standing at the redline either.

winning the cup is the goal of every team (except the oiler) playing a crap system doesn't guarantee anything except there will be lots of boring crap games were the out come is decided by one goal....awesome.

clearly i could careless about what you believe is the right direction,but don't try to sell a pony as a horse he's a d-first coach .

and i hope he get a job elsewhere.

Ugh. Can we have an end of the pimp my Trotz wagon? No. Just No. If I wanted Trotz I'd rehire Torts instead. Torts >>>> Trotz.

Why do we want Nashville's leftovers? He's had 15 years to get 'r' done, and hasn't.

Why do you think he stayed in Nashville for 15 years??? 15 years as a NHL coach is a lifetime to all of us, they average around 3 years with the same team as a head coach. He coached low budget teams, structured his GM's drafting of high quality d-men, and solid goal tending. To state the last part of your point isn't fair at all to this man and what he's done with little to work with.

I personally think the guy is one of the best hockey minds in the game, and given the $$$ to work with as well as the pretty decent talent this team currently has, he'll do a far better job than the previous guy. He knows the Western Conference like a book, and what was the first thing Torts said to us? "I'm relying on my assistant coaches, because I'm not very familiar with the West", or something along those lines. Did Torts adapt to the West? NO, he didn't in many ways. Practices, travel, overplaying veterans, dumping and chasing instead of the puck possession game they were good at, and many more talked about extensively on this board. He was in Nashville for that long for a reason.

??? what was incorrect about my statement??? you just felt you needed to throw some comment out to show people you are still alive in your moms basement? either add somthing to the discussion ,elaborate how you think im wrong in my assessment or take a walk some fresh air and sunlight might do you good.

MY mother is 88 year old, that all the somthing I'm going to add to this discussion with you.

Archived