The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen Out 4-6 Months...

CynideSnipe

So, Jake Virtanen is injured for 4-6 months with Shoulder Surgery. This is quite unfortunate since he was one of the top runners for the prospects that Benning and Linden were considering to draft. And personally, he was probably my favorite prospect outside of the top 5 aswell.

I mean, he plays the game-style that Benning likes and is a-custom to to. Should this injury affect his draft stock? Should it have an influence on whether we draft him or not?

To be honest, I've lost quite a bit of interest in him now. Players do not always fully recover from Shoulder Surgery. And I just don't think he'll be the same player he once was after he's recovered.

Injury's can really ruin a prospects career after the draft. So I don't really want one that already has a significant injury before the draft. I may be wrong, and it may turn out that his shoulder surgery doesn't affect him whatsoever during the early stages of his NHL career, but I just don't feel safe now.

I mean, what if It turns out badly, and he never returns to the type of player he was in the juniors? Could play out into a major bust. And that could send us quite a few steps back, if we hadn't already set ourselves a few steps back.. I say we look to a different direction, following this injury.

The next closest player to Virtanen was Ritchie, but i personally don't like Ritchie at all. I just don't see anything special in him whatsoever. Seems like one of those players that are only doing good because of their size advantage against fellow boys. Kinda like high school dunkers in the NBA Draft that get loads of hype and then do nothing in the NBA. Since they just had a size advantage... And that's all i see in Ritchie.

Virtanen however, had many more tools, Including a good shot, a nose for the next, soft hands in tight, and some speed to go along with it. Can't exactly say the same about Ritchie..

I recommend we turn our heads to the likes of Ehlers, Nylander, and obviously Dal Colle if he's still available at out pick.

Or maybe we even trade up for the #1 pick from Florida. Draft Ekblad.. Many possibilities.

Archived