The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Combat Vet Beaten To Death by Five Cops

nucklehead

In another tale of police brutality from the United Police States of America, a two time combat veteran, Tommy Yancy, who fought in both Iraq and Afghanistan has been beaten to death by five California cops. Yancy was stopped for not having a front license plate on his vehicle, and for the infraction, he was tasered, handcuffed, and beaten profusely. He later died from his injuries. The event took place on Mothers Day.

Here are the specifics from the YouTube video page:

Tommy Yancy, 32, father of two, was savagely beaten to death by five law enforcement officers during a routine traffic stop near the city of Imperial last Sunday, on Mothers Day. Yancy, a veteran who suffered from PTSD, served in Afghanistan and Iraq in the 259th Field Service Unit following the 9/11 attacks.

Yancy was stopped on his way to the store after a highway patrol officer spotted a missing front license plate on his vehicle. He was subsequently pulled from his car and attacked by a police K-9 unit, hit by a taser, and attacked by five officers until he succumbed to the beating and died. A witnessed, who filmed the incident, can be heard screaming on the recording: How long before you guys call an ambulance? Call an ambulance! According to the source of the video, who asked not to be named, his family has not been permitted to see his body, nor have they been given a cause of death.

http://truthuncensored.net/combat-vet-beaten-to-death-by-five-cops-in-routine-traffic-stop-for-no-front-license-plate/

Five vs one? Seems like they didn't adequately apply measures to restrain/arrest this poor fellow? I mean, come on - beating him to death? A little unnecessary and I'm quite sure 5 cops should have been able to subdue him without killing him. Sure, he may have resisted but with all those cars/cops there? Perhaps they need to be retrained if they had problems handcuffing and throwing him into the back of the car. That should be the drill - nothing more. They shouldn't engage in arguing or proving a point beyond arresting someone who is not complying.

Cops gone wild. Awful.

I have friends and family who are cops - it's a tough gig and they put themselves at risk daily. But, in situations like this, they're the problem, not the solution. Just awful. Hope real justice is served in this.

And what right do they have to his body? His wife/children and mother who gave birth to him should have access to and be the ones to decide what happens with his body. I'd be the next in line to take a beating if they tried to keep me away. I'd feel the family would have every right to decide on the body...I'm quite sure they would like to have a funeral and lay their loved one to rest?

Seems like cops get more crooked every day, they didn't need to kill the man, they probably didn't even need to hurt him.

I heard a statistic once but dont know if it's true or not, but apparently being a police officer is the #2 preferred occupation of a sociopath. With all the horrible stories that are in the news about them I'm inclined to believe that's true.

Cops gone wild. Awful.

I have friends and family who are cops - it's a tough gig and they put themselves at risk daily. But, in situations like this, they're the problem, not the solution. Just awful. Hope real justice is served in this.

Cops gone wild? You read an article and all of a sudden everyone on the scene is labeled as "wild". Um ok.

Sure there are bad cops, just like there are bad teachers, doctors and forum board moderators. Doesn't mean we label everyone one of them as bad. And the source of the article makes a lot of accusations. Go read up some more articles from a less biased sources on the incident. The person video taping actually made the statement that he was uncooperative and not following their instructions. 2 sides to every story. Doesn't mean the cops weren't wrong in this case, just means making the statement "Cops gone wild" is inflammatory and unfair to those that work the beat (including your family and friends).

And your right, your friends and family who wear the uniform do put themselves at risk everyday. When someone calls for backup they show up without regardless of what has transpired, and then they have the press and people criticize them without all the facts. Nice of you to give someone else's family members who wear the badge the benefit of the doubt and let the system take its course before judging them <sarcasm>.

Cops gone wild? You read an article and all of a sudden everyone on the scene is labeled as "wild". Um ok.

Sure there are bad cops, just like there are bad teachers, doctors and forum board moderators. Doesn't mean we label everyone one of them as bad. And the source of the article makes a lot of accusations. Go read up some more articles from a less biased sources on the incident. The person video taping actually made the statement that he was uncooperative and not following their instructions. 2 sides to every story. Doesn't mean the cops weren't wrong in this case, just means making the statement "Cops gone wild" is inflammatory and unfair to those that work the beat (including your family and friends).

And your right, your friends and family who wear the uniform do put themselves at risk everyday. When someone calls for backup they show up without regardless of what has transpired, and then they have the press and people criticize them without all the facts. Nice of you to give someone else's family members who wear the badge the benefit of the doubt and let the system take its course before judging them <sarcasm>.

Did they issue proper warning? .. "FOLLOW OUR INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER OR WE WILL BEAT YOU TO DEATH"

Did they issue proper warning? .. "FOLLOW OUR INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER OR WE WILL BEAT YOU TO DEATH"

How do we know we weren't there... Unless of course you were? I don't have all the facts and I safely assume neither does anyone else until the matter goes to court. But I get it, it's popular to scream "cops gone wild" without having all the details. Because who cares about all the facts right? lets just run with what little we know... F-da police!!!

How do we know we weren't there... Unless of course you were? I don't have all the facts and I safely assume neither does anyone else until the matter goes to court. But I get it, it's popular to scream "cops gone wild" without having all the details. Because who cares about all the facts right? lets just run with what little we know... F-da police!!!

I asked a question .. please don't pontificate on what happened, as I am not .. five 'trained' police officers', armed with tasers, clubs, bear-spray, pistols, shotguns and probably semi-auto rifles cannot 'take down' one unarmed man? .. I doubt it .. shoot him in the knee or beat him to death? .. there are other options.

The media would not use a term like "cops gone wild' unless they actually 'went wild' on occasion. There are too many examples of 'cops gone wild'. to be followed immediately by a cover-up, over and over. This is happening repeatedly at every level of law enforcement, and not just in the US.

You sound frightened, and realize 'da cops' are all that stand between you and the 'madding crowd'? .. maybe you should move!

Yes, cops gone wild...that's what I equate it to. Tell me in what situation it's ok to kill a man other than in desperation/self defense? In the case of police, they do have back up and should use every attempt to simply arrest suspects, NOT to teach them lessons or get carried away in that. Five on one and they have methods and tools of restraint...I don't see how it became necessary to kill him?

Did I imply all cops? No, I did not...I was commenting on an incident.

Even IF he was "uncooperative", death is never an option. "Beating" someone is against the law and is not ok. Sure, in cases of self defense you need to act in that - but when you have cops with handcuffs, back up and cars inwhich to get the bad guy into custody, I don't know that keeping him on the ground and laying a beating on him is part of that.

They sign on for the job - they aren't forced into it. And yes, I applaud those who do it well and have them in the highest regard. But those who don't deserve the condemnation that comes their way. When your job is to uphold and enforce the law, that doesn't include breaking it. You don't get a free pass or immunity.

I don't "judge" everyone the same and these cops are who my comments are directed at. So I don't change my mind despite you wanting me to.

I screamed? Let's not exaggerate here to make a point. I commented. So, speaking of facts, stick to them?

Your last sentence? So put your own spin on it to make it more dramatic?

What could the facts be to make it ok to "beat" a suspect to death? The fact of the matter, one that "I know", is that cops "beating" anyone is against the law. Their job is to restrain/arrest people, not to beat them.

So they couldn't taser him or 2 cops strap his feet together/immobilize him while others worked on getting him into handcuffs and into the car? Five of them?

There seems to be a lot of facts missing in this report. They casually mention he was suffering from PTSD. People who suffer from that have been known to do some very irrational things. Now what is disturbing along with the guys death is the fact the police have not been allowed the family to view the body, nor given a cause of death. Which certainly brings up the CYA red flag.

Most traffic stops I've ever seen there is 1 maybe 2 cops, yet he was attacked by a k-9 unit and then five patrolmen????

As others have said, Police have to deal with the stuff that none of us would want to deal with. Domestic disputes, traffic violations, robberies, violent incidents. When you deal with the lowest in society, it's not hard to see how that would wear you down. There are good cops, and there sadly are people who never should put the uniform on in the first place.

I'd like to know what you would do in this situation?

You know the situation is going bad when he asks "How much have you had to drink tonight?" and his response is "Plenty.". I still don't know how a revolver jammed, but the officer is lucky he's not dead.

That's a one on one situation though ^ If you have opportunity to beat a man to death, you likely could have diverted that energy to simply getting him restrained? This cop (above) didn't engage with the guy, he shot at him and was shot at. We're talking in a takedown situation, the force used to kill someone likely indicates that techniques should have been employed to disarm him if necessary and get him into the back of the car. The numbers should have meant that could be, somehow, accomplished.

My issue is with the fact that five officers couldn't bring him down. Sure, drugs and PTSD could make someone in a rage extremely difficult to apprehend, but I just don't see that beating him to death was the only option. Even as a last resort. Sure, in an altercation and in self defense...but to death. We'll see...facts will eventually come out.

I am of the mindset that assault and brutality are never the appropriate way to attend to an incident unless, of course, it IS an aboslute fight for life and death situation. Sure. But 5 on 1 - with weapons, etc.? Doesn't seem reasonable to me.

cops are a holes everywhere, they are really bad in kelowna and calgary...ive had first hand encounters with them. In kelowna the incident was caught on video and the cops confiscated the video camera and erased the content.

i feel bad for this latest victim and his family, RIP.

Let's not jump to conclusions here.

I rarely take the cops' side but I'm just saying.

I agree, the location and time lead me to believe there is likely more to the story. They wouldn't just yank a guy and start beating the guy for no front plate in the middle of the day on a busy intersection.

Archived