The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) A forgotten Free Agent?

There is a young man who had a pretty good start to his NHL career years ago. Early on though, injuries started to plague him, followed by a nasty concussion, which a lot of people thought ruined his career. Well, this young man, just last offseason, was not able to find an NHL club to sign with because of injuries and inability to get back to form. He signed a one year deal in the Swiss league, and went overseas and put up a great season! 49 games played, team leading 24 goals and 46 points. Do I have your attention yet? Anyway, for those who remember him, he goes by the name Peter Mueller. This is a kid from the day he was drafted, I always wanted to see wearing a number 88 Canucks jersey. After a great season in the Swiss league, I expect him to get a look this summer from NHL teams. He seems like he is back an healthy and ready to play great Hockey. He is still young at the age of 26, and may fly under the radar a bit because of how his career has gone. I firmly believe he could be landed on a dirt cheap 1-2 year deal, and be effective on our 2nd or 3rd line next season.

So the question at hand is, would you want this forgotten man on the Canucks?

People wants to insert youth in this line-up, yet they want to sign UFA. Instead of taking a long shot on Mueller being able to come back and be a top 6 player, I'd rather spend 1 more developping Shink, Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen.

Mueller is useless in a bottom 6 role, and will only take a roster spot from our prospect.

Santorelli and Richardson played great last year. But wouldn't you rather have Shink, Horvat, Jensen or Gaunce have 1 extra year of development under their belt (not saying all four should have made the team, only 1). Even if there weren't ready, having that 14-18 minutes of icetime would have been beneficial this year. It also could have been Schroeder too.

People wants to insert youth in this line-up, yet they want to sign UFA. Instead of taking a long shot on Mueller being able to come back and be a top 6 player, I'd rather spend 1 more developping Shink, Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen.

Mueller is useless in a bottom 6 role, and will only take a roster spot from our prospect.

Santorelli and Richardson played great last year. But wouldn't you rather have Shink, Horvat, Jensen or Gaunce have 1 extra year of development under their belt (not saying all four should have made the team, only 1). Even if there weren't ready, having that 14-18 minutes of icetime would have been beneficial this year. It also could have been Schroeder too.

I fully disagree. Yes, it would be great to insert all the kids into the lineup, but we also don't want to rush them. The honest truth here is Shinkaruk is coming off an injury that ruined his season, and needs another year minimum to develop. Gaunce just had his first legit season, and should 100% be in the AHL next season to continue developing. Horvat should be in the AHL next season as well. The only one on your list that may be worth a roster spot without rushing the player is Jensen. He played quite well his first several games after being called up last season. So really, Mueller isn't gonna take a spot from anyone. Look at more like he's either reviving his career completely and becoming a potential future asset, or he's keeping a spot warm for the following season for someone like Horvat perhaps. Rushing a prospect is among the worst things you can do. Look what happened to guys like Nino Neiderreiter and Nail Yakupov. Their games weren't fully developed and both became virtually useless right away. You can't expect every 19 and 20 year old kid to make an immediate impact.

I personally would rather have a guy like Bo Horvat getting 20 minutes a game under good AHL coaching, than 13-14 minutes a game on a 3rd line with guys that don't score much.

Sure, give him the Santo treatment, start him off as a depth forward on a one-year deal and see how he does. Also why do people think 26 isn't youth? Shawn Matthias is 26 and the team'll be looking to lean on him for 3rd line minutes.

Anyways, bring him on as 13th forward if Dalpe/ Schroeder don't come back, or just drop Top Sixtito and sign him (we have Archibald and Zalewski who are big bodies, when it just isn't worth it to keep one-dimensional face-punchers on the team full-time anymore).

I have a gut feeling if he comes back, the Isles will ink him to a cheap, under the radar contract and he'll bloom there.

They are probably truly the best fit for him to revive his career. They have a lot of good young playmakers, and a lot of room for him to get top 6 minutes. But, Mueller reviving his career in a Canucks jersey would be so incredible.

I fully disagree. Yes, it would be great to insert all the kids into the lineup, but we also don't want to rush them. The honest truth here is Shinkaruk is coming off an injury that ruined his season, and needs another year minimum to develop. Gaunce just had his first legit season, and should 100% be in the AHL next season to continue developing. Horvat should be in the AHL next season as well. The only one on your list that may be worth a roster spot without rushing the player is Jensen. He played quite well his first several games after being called up last season. So really, Mueller isn't gonna take a spot from anyone. Look at more like he's either reviving his career completely and becoming a potential future asset, or he's keeping a spot warm for the following season for someone like Horvat perhaps. Rushing a prospect is among the worst things you can do. Look what happened to guys like Nino Neiderreiter and Nail Yakupov. Their games weren't fully developed and both became virtually useless right away. You can't expect every 19 and 20 year old kid to make an immediate impact.

I personally would rather have a guy like Bo Horvat getting 20 minutes a game under good AHL coaching, than 13-14 minutes a game on a 3rd line with guys that don't score much.

Won't Horvat have to go back to Jr next year as well?

I can see your point but out of them all I think Guance should at least get a look at being on the roster, but I agree with Shinkaruk getting AHL time to recover from his injury and also to play with higher level competition. Fox is another guy I can see having some time in the AHL.

Mueller might not be a bad option on a cheap contract

Won't Horvat have to go back to Jr next year as well?

I can see your point but out of them all I think Guance should at least get a look at being on the roster, but I agree with Shinkaruk getting AHL time to recover from his injury and also to play with higher level competition. Fox is another guy I can see having some time in the AHL.

Mueller might not be a bad option on a cheap contract

Wherever Horvat plays, I don't think he's NHL ready.

As for Gaunce I 100% think he should start in the AHL. The leap from OHL to NHL is tough. I think he needs that AHL experience. If he plays well and gets called up at some point in season if we have room, I'm fine with that. I just don't think we should be rushing these kids right now.

Wherever Horvat plays, I don't think he's NHL ready.

As for Gaunce I 100% think he should start in the AHL. The leap from OHL to NHL is tough. I think he needs that AHL experience. If he plays well and gets called up at some point in season if we have room, I'm fine with that. I just don't think we should be rushing these kids right now.

Why is Gaunce not ready but Horvat is?? Both should get an equal opportunity to make the team and whoever wins starts on the 3rd line...

Good post OP. An elusive right handed shot / draw at center ice to boot.

Not completely forgotten: I followed and agreed with posts to give him a crack before he signed with Florida and last year. We flushed a bad contract and gave similar, but more raw, Dalpe that chance last year. I would have preferred Mueller.

Still not giving up on him either...

Most people would consider Danny Briere a flop in Montreal. He remains expensive. But damn their 4th line, with him on it, is much more dangerous than ours has been prob since 94? Is he as big, er lets call it that, as Mueller? No Mueller is not the stereotyped 4t liner, but Briere is not either... Point is, you would be foolish to presume he's only useful in a top 6 role.

This is a guy who has the proven skill to play NHL, but has desperation to finally stick? Look what Santorelli did last year, its a dangerous wild card!

Danny / Hank / Jensen

Burr / Kesler / Kassian

Higgins / Santorelli / Hansen is a great 3rd line

Booth / Mathias / Mueller is a wickedly talented, big, fast 4th line!

Tostito / Richardson

Linden and Benning said they wanted to play 4 deep?

There comes a time when many guys realize their best shot is being a role player, they change their training, increase their intensity, what they are willing to do and compete like hell will freeze over to grab and keep ANY role they can get. Then that team has a 3rd or 4th liner of substantially better talent than most. Detroit has done it for years with guys most said are over the hill. Torres and Malhotra were both high draft picks that adapted to playing roles rather than wash out. Bernier was done, suddenly he reappeared on Jersey's 4th line and they went to the final. Many a talent player has extended their careers 5, even ten years, by adding winning pucks, fore checking and crashing the net to their original repertoire of scoring and passing skills.

Mueller can also play wing, as well as center. He could make Jensen earn his spot, but be vastly more likely ready to be effective in a depth role (as above) if Jensen or Shinkaruk beats him out. But don't discount that he could play with the Twins, or be that elusive passer we have craved for Kesler for eons...

$925,000 guaranteed for 2 years one way? Can still be popped in the minors without counting against the cap. Ace in the hole!

:towel:

I have a gut feeling if he comes back, the Isles will ink him to a cheap, under the radar contract and he'll bloom there.

The Islanders core of young centers, and center prospects is a lot more advanced than ours? If not better, but lets not get into that. Compare Nelson, Nielson, Strome, Bailey and Cizikas with Schroeder, Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels, Lain and Mallet.

As I said, definitely more game ready. I don't see them as likely to give Mueller a shot instead of say Frans Nielson who already has a 58 point season under his belt? Or Strome, who has more upside than any of our guys or Mueller. Nelson, Bailey and Cizikas are also already older, and more established on the team where we can afford to develop Gaunce and Horvat to make space for Mueller.

The opportunity is better here!

Archived