The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Some Hockey Tid Bits from Edmonton re: Oates, Drafting**

carlweezer

Adam Oates was on TSN 1260 today and here are a couple of key points he mentioned for those wanting him to become the Canucks coach.

- his mind is fully set on being a Head Coach instead of Assistant Coach. He likes the responsibility and making the call on everything.

- When asked what kind of a coach is he, from a players coach to a hard nose coach he replied that he is somewhere in between and he likes to think and immulate himself as someone who coaches like Alain Vignault.

Stu Mcgregor head scout for Edmonton Oilers was also on.

- He has a major man crush on Leon Draisaitl. He is reminded of Anze Kopitar whenever he watches Draisaitl. He thinks Draisaitl biggest weakness isnt his pace but more so his play without the puck defensivley.

- He says they just interviewed William Nylander. The Oilers asked Nylander what position he sees himselsf playing in the NHL and Nylander responded with " ill play RW, LW or Centre, Whatever the cooach wants." He think Nylanderis a very very confident young man.

- He was asked about MDC. He says MDC just started playing wing 3 years ago. He thinks MDC has a chance to be a Centre at NHL but sees him more as a winger. He says next year will be a huge year for MDC as him as Cole Cassels will be the top line with Cole centring the line and will be the main offence.

* I think this should put to rest any hope for those that want Oates to come in and be our PP coach and assistant coach.

* I also have zero doubt that Edmonton takes Draisaitl if he is available at 3rd spot.

I believe the draft will go Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Bennet, Ritchie

leaving us to pick between MDC, Nylander, Virtanen

as per the canucks amateur scouting vs a potato article - if you are not going to trade up for reinhart - and that is the right answer to what should we do at the draft- you have to go with the potato's strategy and take the CHL forward available who has the highest point total in their draft year.

If that's the case, I get the feeling Oates may be left without a dance partner once the music starts in September.

He will patiently stand beside Carlysle, and await his shining moment at the "Center Of The Hockey Universe" .. and Toronto will have the best PP in the League, but fail to earn a playoff spot despite their sparkling, collective GAA of 4,89

as per the canucks amateur scouting vs a potato article - if you are not going to trade up for reinhart - and that is the right answer to what should we do at the draft- you have to go with the potato's strategy and take the CHL forward available who has the highest point total in their draft year.

But the potatoes strategy was not just about highest point totals. It was based on how teams actually picked players. So if a player with a higher point total was taken later in the draft, the potato would ignore it until later.

He will patiently stand beside Carlysle, and await his shining moment at the "Center Of The Hockey Universe" .. and Toronto will have the best PP in the League, but fail to earn a playoff spot despite their sparkling, collective GAA of 4,89

That sounds like the Leafs I know.

Adam Oates was on TSN 1260 today and here are a couple of key points he mentioned for those wanting him to become the Canucks coach.

- his mind is fully set on being a Head Coach instead of Assistant Coach. He likes the responsibility and making the call on everything.

- When asked what kind of a coach is he, from a players coach to a hard nose coach he replied that he is somewhere in between and he likes to think and immulate himself as someone who coaches like Alain Vignault.

Stu Mcgregor head scout for Edmonton Oilers was also on.

- He has a major man crush on Leon Draisaitl. He is reminded of Anze Kopitar whenever he watches Draisaitl. He thinks Draisaitl biggest weakness isnt his pace but more so his play without the puck defensivley.

- He says they just interviewed William Nylander. The Oilers asked Nylander what position he sees himselsf playing in the NHL and Nylander responded with " ill play RW, LW or Centre, Whatever the cooach wants." He think Nylanderis a very very confident young man.

- He was asked about MDC. He says MDC just started playing wing 3 years ago. He thinks MDC has a chance to be a Centre at NHL but sees him more as a winger. He says next year will be a huge year for MDC as him as Cole Cassels will be the top line with Cole centring the line and will be the main offence.

* I think this should put to rest any hope for those that want Oates to come in and be our PP coach and assistant coach.

* I also have zero doubt that Edmonton takes Draisaitl if he is available at 3rd spot.

I believe the draft will go Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Bennet, Ritchie

leaving us to pick between MDC, Nylander, Virtanen

There was another thread around here indicating that the Isles were pretty high on Dal Colle thinking he would be the guy to play on Tavares wing.

Even so worst case scenario JB has a pick of Ritchie, Nylander, Virtanen (although with that injury he might drop)

What will be most interesting is if both Ekblad and Draisaitl are available come EDM pick who do they take?

Their scouts and management have stated they believe D is there deepest prospect position, whether that is just smoke and mirrors it is still interesting nonetheless, as like this topic shares their scouts are coooo coooo for coco pu... I mean LEON!

If we get MDC it will honestly be the greatest draft day for us... the + of having Cassels developing with him on the top line is another +, our young forward pipeline would start looking amazing: MDC, Horvat, Kassian, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Gaunce, Jensen +

I was hoping that Leon Draisaitl would drop to us because I think in the perfect world where prospects always reach their potential. Draisaitl and Horvat would be perfect for the top six center spots of the future.

1. Florida Panthers: Aaron Ekblad - Florida are deep with forward prospects while their defense is not as deep. Ekblad is the obvious and smart choice by Dale Tallon

2. Buffalo Sabres: Sam Reinhart - They have centers in their system but not anyone with the potential offensive output as Reinhart. He will be a very good two-way center. Reinhart - Hodgson - Girgensons, that's a solid 3-way punch.

3. Edmonton Oilers: Leon Draisaitl - They pick him because Ekblad is not available. Good compliment to their already talented top six and now with their Head Scout saying he loves him, this could happen.

4. Calgary Flames: Sam Bennett - The Flames get a fantastic player at number 4 who will fit in really well with that team. He is a real competitor and playing him with Monahan in the future could be a very good line for the Flames.

5. New York Islanders: Micheal Dal Colle - BPA. He will become a fantastic NHL player because he has the whole package. Some hard work and determinatin and he will be a main stay on Tavares's wing for years to come. I can't see them passing on him sadly.

6. Vancouver Canucks: Who knows? - After Bennings talk about the draft at the press conference I was convinced that it was going to be Jake Virtanen but he might drop because of the shoulder surgery. I am not very high on Nylander but others seem to be same as Ehlers. I actually have no idea who the Canucks will be picking.

I don't know why everyone thinks the Oilers need Ekblad.

They have a lot of good defensive prospects and their depth down the middle is poo poo.

Draft what your system needs, not your NHL roster.

Archived