The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver and New York Islanders

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the news that Nilsson's signed in the KHL and the Islanders are forced to either re-sign Nabokov or run with Poulin as their backup to Halak, perhaps they'd be interested in making a deal for a better option. I proposed this in the thread about the Nilsson signing, but thought I'd put it here as well.

To NYI:

Markstrom

Tanev

Shinkaruk

2014 2nd

To Van:

Strome

2014 1st

Shinkaruk's a good prospect but Strome's better. Tanev's a steady if unspectacular defensman, but our top 4 is pretty full right now and we have Corrado in the wings with Weber available as well. Goalies don't get a lot of value so Markstrom and the 2nd should balance it out.

Then maybe the draft goes like this:

1. Ekblad

2. Reinhart

3. Draisatl (Edm rumoured to be high on him)

4. Ritchie (Burkie and truculence, 'nuff said)

5. Bennett

6. Dal Colle

However the draft goes, we get one of the top 5 if not two.

Nice proposal but I don't think either team does it. Nucks aren't in a situation to give up lots of youth for less number of youth. And NYI would probably want to hold onto Strome and their 1st especially since they won't have their 1st for next year.

Nice proposal but I don't think either team does it. Nucks aren't in a situation to give up lots of youth for less number of youth. And NYI would probably want to hold onto Strome and their 1st especially since they won't have their 1st for next year.

I look at it as quality over quantity.

1. Maybe Markstrom takes off but what if Benning/Linden want a little more experience in net? We aren't going to put Markstrom through waivers and risk losing him for nothing. Either that or he's a backup.
  2. Tanev's a tough piece to lose since he does a number of things very well, but he's also not physical and has a limited offensive upside. Top 4 D for sure, but not really a top 2 guy.
  3. Shinkaruk has the most potential I think, even top line potential, but it's a risk at this point. It's also an area where the Isles are weak, and you have to give something of value to the other team to make a deal.
  4. The 2nd, well it's just a 2nd even if it's at the start of the round. It's not as deep a draft though, so I'm ok with that.

1. Strome has more upside and value than Shinkaruk, and can easily be a Kesler replacement on the second line if we really are trading him.
  2. A 5th overall pick in a good draft (not quite the high end talent as last year or next year) holds good value with quality players available.

I like this, value seems pretty fair.

Where would you slot strome in next year?

That does depend on whether or not Kesler goes, but he could make our roster next year. He's a future 1st line center though, and something we lack in our system. This is just my take on a line up (with Kesler still here):

Burrows Sedin Jensen

Sedin Kesler Strome

Higgins Horvat Kassian

Matthias Richardson Hansen

Sestito Schroeder Santorelli

Lots of questions over the extras (who stays, who goes) but no question the top 4 lines would be an improvement. If one or two of Jensen, Horvat and Strome don't step up then we have Santorelli and Schroeder who can fill in, or maybe one of our draft picks step up like Dal Colle.

That's not bad. It would sting to lose Tanev and Shinkaruk but Hunter is replaced by Dal Colle and we'd still have Kesler and Edler to trade to fill in those pieces.

Not that we'd even need to move Kesler and Edler, but imagine if we did move Kesler out for a Pouliot++ type of return (maybe even Beau Bennett included)?

Burrows Sedin Jensen

Sedin Strome Kassian

Higgins Horvat Santorelli

Sestito Schroeder

Hamhuis Garrison

Stanton Bieksa

Edler Pouliot

Weber Corrado

I look at it as quality over quantity.

• Maybe Markstrom takes off but what if Benning/Linden want a little more experience in net? We aren't going to put Markstrom through waivers and risk losing him for nothing. Either that or he's a backup.
  • Tanev's a tough piece to lose since he does a number of things very well, but he's also not physical and has a limited offensive upside. Top 4 D for sure, but not really a top 2 guy.
  • Shinkaruk has the most potential I think, even top line potential, but it's a risk at this point. It's also an area where the Isles are weak, and you have to give something of value to the other team to make a deal.
  • The 2nd, well it's just a 2nd even if it's at the start of the round. It's not as deep a draft though, so I'm ok with that.
  • Strome has more upside and value than Shinkaruk, and can easily be a Kesler replacement on the second line if we really are trading him.
  • A 5th overall pick in a good draft (not quite the high end talent as last year or next year) holds good value with quality players available.
That does depend on whether or not Kesler goes, but he could make our roster next year. He's a future 1st line center though, and something we lack in our system. This is just my take on a line up (with Kesler still here):

Burrows Sedin Jensen

Sedin Kesler Strome

Higgins Horvat Kassian

Sestito Schroeder Santorelli

Lots of questions over the extras (who stays, who goes) but no question the top 4 lines would be an improvement. If one or two of Jensen, Horvat and Strome don't step up then we have Santorelli and Schroeder who can fill in, or maybe one of our draft picks step up like Dal Colle.

Not that we'd even need to move Kesler and Edler, but imagine if we did move Kesler out for a Pouliot++ type of return (maybe even Beau Bennett included)?

Burrows Sedin Jensen

Sedin Strome Kassian

Higgins Horvat Santorelli

Sestito Schroeder

Hamhuis Garrison

Stanton Bieksa

Edler Pouliot

Weber Corrado

If we get Dal Colle trading Kesler for a package including Mantha that would do nothing but wonders for us.

Mantha - Horvat - Bennett

Dal Colle - Cassels - Kassian

Gaunce - Strome - Jensen

Archibald - Matthias - Grenier

That's a forward group I can see competing with the big boys in 2-3 years. Cassels with Dal Colle because of chemistry.

I see this trade working out as,

Shinkaruk vs #5

With Shinkaruk's injury the Isles will have to be really high on him to make this swap. Considering that both the Oilers and Flames are likely expected to draft a center with their pick, the Isles will have their pick of LW. I expect Dal Colle, Ehlers, Ritchie all being available at #5. In short I don't see the Isles being interested in pulling something like this.

Strome vs Tanev, Markstrom, 2nd

Strome had a monster year in the AHL. He put up 49 points in 37 and would have easily lead the league in scoring had he played the entire season there. He came up to the team and showed flashes of being the player the Isles think he can be. He finished with a respectable 18 points in 37 games which works up to a 40 point pace, respectable for a rookie. He has the skill and the tools to one day be considered a #1C in this league. Considering how rare and valuable those are, if I were the Isles if I am trading Strome I am looking for something equally valuable like a potential #1 defenseman. I love Tanev but I don't think he has the offensive skills to become a #1 defenseman which is what the Isles desperately need. If I am the Isles I would want someone like Ryan Murray, Cam Fowler, Hampus Lindholm, Morgan Rielly, Dougie Hamilton. Even still its a gamble which I am not sure I would want to make. The Isles are not a team that can afford any mistakes.

I don't think the incentive is big enough to do such a swap either. The Isles have committed to Halak so will not value Markstrom as anything more than a backup. The second this year isn't really enticing as the Isles have 4 second round picks in the coming 2 drafts.

If we get Dal Colle trading Kesler for a package including Mantha that would do nothing but wonders for us.

Mantha - Horvat - Bennett

Dal Colle - Cassels - Kassian

Gaunce - Strome - Jensen

Archibald - Matthias - Grenier

That's a forward group I can see competing with the big boys in 2-3 years. Cassels with Dal Colle because of chemistry.

I highly doubt we can get Mantha from Detroit if they do want to trade for Kesler. There's some room there that they might like to, with Datsyuk aging and Helm having his back issues. I'm not sure what they'd do with Weiss unless they have a buyout left, but they'd like Kesler unless they really feel Sheahan is ready.

I don't think Strome falls below Cassels on the depth chart either, he's probably ahead of Horvat to be honest.

What about if we were to get Beau Bennett along with Pouliot in a Pittsburgh deal?

I see this trade working out as,

Shinkaruk vs #5

With Shinkaruk's injury the Isles will have to be really high on him to make this swap. Considering that both the Oilers and Flames are likely expected to draft a center with their pick, the Isles will have their pick of LW. I expect Dal Colle, Ehlers, Ritchie all being available at #5. In short I don't see the Isles being interested in pulling something like this.

Strome vs Tanev, Markstrom, 2nd

Strome had a monster year in the AHL. He put up 49 points in 37 and would have easily lead the league in scoring had he played the entire season there. He came up to the team and showed flashes of being the player the Isles think he can be. He finished with a respectable 18 points in 37 games which works up to a 40 point pace, respectable for a rookie. He has the skill and the tools to one day be considered a #1C in this league. Considering how rare and valuable those are, if I were the Isles if I am trading Strome I am looking for something equally valuable like a potential #1 defenseman. I love Tanev but I don't think he has the offensive skills to become a #1 defenseman which is what the Isles desperately need. If I am the Isles I would want someone like Ryan Murray, Cam Fowler, Hampus Lindholm, Morgan Rielly, Dougie Hamilton. Even still its a gamble which I am not sure I would want to make. The Isles are not a team that can afford any mistakes.

I don't think the incentive is big enough to do such a swap either. The Isles have committed to Halak so will not value Markstrom as anything more than a backup. The second this year isn't really enticing as the Isles have 4 second round picks in the coming 2 drafts.

Fair points, but I don't think there's that much concern from anyone on Shinkaruk's surgery. He's fully recovered now and back skating to prepare for next season so they can easily see if it's affected him at least in practice. The Isles are lacking on top LW'ers and at this point they're likely moving a center there or hoping one of Kabanov or Halmo can step up from the AHL. Shinkaruk gives them another option and he'd be a year closer to ready than drafting Dal Colle (and able to start in the AHL as well and call up if they wanted to).

You're right on Strome that they don't get a comparable #1 piece back, but we don't short them on quality either and send back pieces that fill needs they currently have. They certainly aren't going to move Strome ahead of Tavares any time soon, so it might be a situation they look to move him anyway with Nielson and Bailey both playing well and Nelson coming in to the team this year.

Halak does have some past injury issues and at 29 is a little older than the young core they have coming up. I'm sure they'd like another competent option in case he goes down, and someone they could build on in future as well that is better than Poulin.

Good point about the 2nd though, so maybe we could keep it if they really don't want it and perhaps offer another depth option. Either that or they use all the 2nds to trade up to a better pick. I don't think that makes or breaks a deal though.

Doesn't make sense. The incentive for NYI to deal(as we've discussed, in my NYI proposal) is not primarily for more youth, but to add pieces that help them improve immediately. They NEED to climb out of the bottom-10, pronto.

Markstrom & Tanev are fine..but we should send more vets, in return for more future promise.

Doesn't make sense. The incentive for NYI to deal(as we've discussed, in my NYI proposal) is not primarily for more youth, but to add pieces that help them improve immediately. They NEED to climb out of the bottom-10, pronto.

Markstrom & Tanev are fine..but we should send more vets, in return for more future promise.

I highly doubt they want to take on significant salary. They want affordable young players who are ready to contribute to a winning team while still satisfying the need for good enough talent in return in spots they have holes (rather than depth players).

^Well, can't really claim to know WHAT they're thinking. Snow hasn't exactly earned high marks for team building-strategy, thus far. & is their owner just trying to offload this mess, or will he borrow his friend's pickup to move his stuff to Brooklyn? Also hearing Nabokov might take over Snow's position. Hard to predict with this bunch; but there's certainly some youth I'd like to see Van pilfer.

^Well, can't really claim to know WHAT they're thinking. Snow hasn't exactly earned high marks for team building-strategy, thus far. & is their owner just trying to offload this mess, or will he borrow his friend's pickup to move his stuff to Brooklyn? Also hearing Nabokov might take over Snow's position. Hard to predict with this bunch; but there's certainly some youth I'd like to see Van pilfer.

We don't need to claim to know, it's been documented they have an internal budget. If the ownership changes or it's a player of the calibre of Vanek (and they can offload a player like Moulson due for a big raise as a part of that) then maybe it happens, but I don't think their cap limitations change this year.

Besides, it's Lubo they're grooming as the next GM, not Nabby. :P

What about

Something around

Edler/Garrison

Eriksson

2nd

For

Strome

1st

Yeah man, you & I are singin' a harmony. But I don't think they'd give THAT much future, especially with their 1st 2015 already gone.

Add to our package. They NEED to climb, & avoid the lotto. Make it CHEAP so there's no way they could do the same with UFA signings. & their frugal owner will nod approvingly.

EG: your package, PLUS Booth and/or Burrows(50% retained). We don't need to spend to the cap this season-we need youth.

So NYI would give to us a couple beauts, like Strome & Pulock(giving us three players from 2013 class).

Yeah man, you & I are singin' a harmony. But I don't think they'd give THAT much future, especially with their 1st 2015 already gone.

Add to our package. They NEED to climb, & avoid the lotto. Make it CHEAP so there's no way they could do the same with UFA signings. & their frugal owner will nod approvingly.

EG: your package, PLUS Booth and/or Burrows(50% retained). We don't need to spend to the cap this season-we need youth.

So NYI would give to us a couple beauts, like Strome & Pulock(giving us three players from 2013 class).

I would add in booth in a flash.

I would also do a Kesler trade as well to Anaheim.

Kesler for Theodore, 10th , 24th.

That would give us

Strome

5th

6th

10th

24th

Woot.

^C'mon you can't believe NYI will kaibosh their 1st's two yrs running? No question with both trades consummated, we're smellin' like a rose..but it's surely a ripening prospect we'd get, not their 1st. Too embarrassing for Snow to have us hanging at the podium like teens at the 7-11.

At some point the Isles want to win. Building the best prospect pool (they've been one of the tops for a while now) is nice, but doesn't necessarily equal wins in the NHL. The right package and they'd absolutely trade draft picks, Snow's even gone on record to say they're open to trading the 5th overall already.

Archived