The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) 3 Picks in the Top 6

OK, humour me please, what does Kesler and a 2nd rounder get you in terms of a top ten pick

here is my point, if someone called up the Canucks and said we will trade you a 30 year old player, that has the potential to score 30 goals, can play wing and center, can play on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd line, plays the power play and penalty kills, played in 2 Olympics, and played the most minutes of any USA player in those olympics, is a leader by example, on a cheap contract....what would you give for him? What would we give up for Backes?....I know this!

Canucks first for him is a steel

NYI first for him is a steel

Calgary's first for him is still a steel

Edmonton's first for him, rosterplayer/prospect and a 2nd is still pretty fair

Buffalo's first and a 2015-2nd is probably pretty close

So what is florida's pick worth?

Remember Pitts will probably offer Poullet and their 22nd-OA this summer

Anahiem will offer 10th-OA, 24th-OA and maybe Etem or Theodore

I think there will be a darn horse in there too

But my bet is probably Pitts or Florida........and yes I know those offers are conjecture, but it will be something like that

So maybe you are right to say Kesler is not worth1st over all, but then Bennett and Reinhart will be there at 2 and 3 sooo?

Although I don't be the first overall pick, maybe I get Bennett just the same...

Also, while I am here.....if one of Garrison/Edler/Tanev doesn't get you NYI 5th Overall...what would you have to add maybe Hansen or Schroeder or Booth, maybe a late round pick?

If some team that had good defensemen offered one of their 3 top 5 Dman and I get to pickm and a roster player and a late round pick, we would be talking that is for sure......

So I admit you are probably right on the 1st Overall, but Kesler is certainly worth more than out 5th by a long shot!

Thoughts.......and thanks for playing.......am I close on my revised offers?

To ANA: R. Kesler ©
To VAN: E. Etem (LW/RW) + S. Theodore (D) + 10th + 24th

1 young player, 1 prospect and a 1st has been rumoured to have been offered by Anaheim at the trade deadline, and
the deal didn't get done. They can sweeten it a bit.... Same division trade - they have to overpay! We can add a fringe player or something if it needs to be evened out a bit.

To Det: A. Edler (D) + Schroeder © + 36th pick
To Van: A. Athanasiou (LW) + T. Pulkinnen (RW) + M. Callahan (RW) + J. Kindl (D) + 15th pick

This one will take a bit of a longer explanation.
2 prospects and a 1st for Edler has been discussed on forums a number of times, and seems to be fair.

I like dealing with Detroit, as they have a boatload of good prospects, so why not add to it?

I'd love to acquire Nyquist or Tatar or Jurco, but that is less likely...

I've added a depth Center and our 2nd for Mitch Callahan and Jakob Kindl. This takes back a bit of cap space (Kindl), which Detroit might demand, and after Emmerton bolted for the KHL, Detroit is low on center prospects. This also gives us an extra veteran defenceman that we could perhaps use to acquire the # 1 pick from Florida ;o)
Detroit has so many good young prospects they might have a hard time fitting some of them in their lineup. Callahan and Pulkinnen are NHL ready now but there are likely no roster spots for them. Plus they have Mantha (a right winger "in the wings" for the red wings - ha ha). So, instead of Detroit losing these players to the KHL or losing them on waivers, trade em.
Plus this would still give Detroit a decent pick, which might help make it worthwhile for Detroit.

Callahan is a big body, aggressive checking type and can score. 26G 18A 44pts in the AHL last season.

Pulkinnen is a european speedy goal scorer. 31G 28A 59pts in the AHL last season. 4th on AHL goal leader board.

Athanasiou makes me drool. Seriously, watch his prospect videos, this kid looks amazing. 6'2" 204lbs, aggressive and he scores a lot of goals.

Gain a few NHL ready young players, a couple of really good prospects AND 10th, 15th and 24th picks.

Stop there and draft best available players with each pick, or flip some/all of them for higher picks and target Reinhart or Ekblad and Dal Colle or Virtanen - whatever the team thinks is best.

To FLA: Kindl or Tanev (D) + 6th + (add a later round pick / b prospect / extra player if necessary)

To VAN: 1st overall pick

Could be lots of movement at the top of the draft, so we don't know for sure what order the top 5 will go, or if a slightly off the chart pick (Nylander/Ehlers etc) will go earlier than expected.

I'd consider flipping the 15th to NYI, Carolina or Toronto (in that order) and draft Dal Colle if he is still available. It only requires that 1 team go off board with their pick. Florida probably takes Nylander or Ehlers with our old #6 pick, and Carolina is rumoured to be interested in Kapanen, so anything is possible...

Not sure what it would take to flip the picks, but it could maybe be doable without costing tooooo much.

Draft Rienhart with # 1.

Draft Dal Colle (hopefully) at # 5 or # 7 or # 8 Draft Virtanen if Dal Colle is gone.

Draft Virtanen or Fleury at # 10

Draft Lemieux or Sanheim at #24

Resign Santorelli, Kassian, Tanev (if not traded to Florida)

The above trades also frees up $10 million in cap space, so :

Sign UFA P. Statsny to replace Kesler

Maybe sign a UFA rental goalie for a year to share duties with Lack. Send Markstrom to the AHL and split duties with Eriksson.

Possible line-up - adjust as you see fit:

N. Jensen H. Sedin A. Burrows - scoring 1st line *
D. Sedin P. Stastny T. Pulkinnen - scoring 2nd line
C. Higgins M. Santorelli Z. Kassian
E. Etem S. Mathias M. Callahan

extra: Richardson, Hansen, Sestito

* if Burr isn't performing on the 1st line, move him back or if necessary get him to waive and trade him.

If any of our top prospects are ready (Reinhart, Horvat, Fox) all the better. Sweet!

Still have assests (Hansen, Higgins, Burrows, Sestito, various prospects) to make other moves to adjust the roster spots.

Main Prospects:

Center: Reinhart, Horvat, Gaunce, Fox, Cassels...

Left: Etem, Shinkaruk, Athanasiou, (Dal Colle)...

Right: Virtanen, Grenier, Kenins, M. Callahan...

Defence: S. Theodore, (H. Fleury), Sanheim, Tommernes, Cedarholm, Hutton...

How's that?

Agoork I don't think we can get all that for Kesler, and personally I would have no problem taking out Etem and receiving just Theodore, 10th, 24th. The Edler trade is insane, there is no way that trade is fair for Detroit. Personally I would prefer to move him and Jordan to Columbus for the 16th and Rychel, (him and Kassian are buds from Windsor)

OUT: Kesler, Edler, schroeder
IN: Rychel, Theodore, 10, 16, 24

That is great imput Agoork and Zimbiekat

I don't find either of the post wrong and taht bad much how negoiataions work

You present an Idea aka mine, then there is a counter offer then it goes back and forth with compermise,

So we need a few more entering the post that will enter the debate and then we start trying to pair it down for a concensuis

I would accept for Kesler for the 10th.24th/ and Theodore

I forwould accept Rychel and a 16th for Edler. Could the Detroit off be paired down a little in a compermise? Now sure of the Detroit prospects, so I have to trust you, maybe I take out our 35th OA and They take back a preospect or 2?

I still wouldn't mind getting one of the the top 3 picks though?

Suggestions Please.......possible we have 6th, 10th, (15th or 16th), 24th, and 35th OA

Well, I did say we could "add a fringe player or something" to even out the Kesler trade :)
There seems to be a bit of disagreement on here as to what Anaheim is willing to give up, but its not far off... maybe a bit of tweaking. I'd add that fringe player or b-prospect if it means pressing the 24th out of Anaheim.

If it's Etem that they won't trade, then Kesler for Theodore and the two 1st round picks is not bad - not a great return, but ok. Anaheim would probably jump all over that, which to me indicates we're not asking enough. They need Kesler more than we need to trade him. Just my opinion though.

The Edler trade looks like a lot at first, but you have to compare the added pieces too. For Edler its really 2 prospects and the 15th pick, which iis not too far off - seen that mentioned lots of times on here. Schroeder for Callahan is a pretty even swap and helps both teams swapping players who probably won't make their current team's roster. Kindl for our 2nd round pick is also pretty even I think, but I could be wrong on that,as I don't really know Kindl - just read somewhere that he would be a piece Detroit would be willing to move.

These are our 2 top trading pieces and we have to get as much as possible out of trading them.

We also have to consider who Edler will waive to go to. Not sure if Columbus would be one of those.

Archived