The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Quickest Way to Rip off a Bandaid and Rebuild

yeah a Dman that plays no defense, a third liner, a goalie that couldn't make the Panthers and a mere second round pick is "fairly even" for a top prospect and a top five pick. I want whatever it is that you're smoking.

Except I'd take Edler over anything the Flames have on defense except Giordano

What does that have anything to do with his post? I have noticed you have a tendency to attack posters based on their team when they disagree with your opinion. It just makes it impossible to have any kind of legitimate discussion with you. You have so much animosity towards fans of the teams you dislike which I cannot really understand. We are all hockey fans first, if you disagree with Baercheese's opinion, then argue that instead of going off topic making comments about Calgary.

He isn't particularly wrong either. Edler did not really have a great year and just about everybody on this forum would agree with that. He did not fit into Torts' system and it was the first year of his deal. He is going to have to return to the kind of player he was to carry significant value. At this point it seems laughable that the Isles would trade their NHL ready blue chip prospect as well as a top 5 pick which is high enough to give them a choice of some highly skilled LW like Dal Colle, Ehlers, Ritchie or maybe even Nylander.

Also I disagree with you that Edler would be a better option than anyone on Calgary except Giordano. I would take TJ Brodie over Edler as well based on age and contract. Brodie is a smart player who is very solid defensively and put up a respectable 31 points this season. I think he has the upside to be a good #2 down the road for Calgary. Imo he is very similar to Tanev, another guy I would rather have than Edler, again based on contract and his age.

This doesn't mean I think Edler isn't going to be as good as these guys but I would rather gamble on younger cheaper talent than on a 5mil defenseman regaining his form.

What does that have anything to do with his post? I have noticed you have a tendency to attack posters based on their team when they disagree with your opinion. It just makes it impossible to have any kind of legitimate discussion with you. You have so much animosity towards fans of the teams you dislike which I cannot really understand. We are all hockey fans first, if you disagree with Baercheese's opinion, then argue that instead of going off topic making comments about Calgary.

He isn't particularly wrong either. Edler did not really have a great year and just about everybody on this forum would agree with that. He did not fit into Torts' system and it was the first year of his deal. He is going to have to return to the kind of player he was to carry significant value. At this point it seems laughable that the Isles would trade their NHL ready blue chip prospect as well as a top 5 pick which is high enough to give them a choice of some highly skilled LW like Dal Colle, Ehlers, Ritchie or maybe even Nylander.

Also I disagree with you that Edler would be a better option than anyone on Calgary except Giordano. I would take TJ Brodie over Edler as well based on age and contract. Brodie is a smart player who is very solid defensively and put up a respectable 31 points this season. I think he has the upside to be a good #2 down the road for Calgary. Imo he is very similar to Tanev, another guy I would rather have than Edler, again based on contract and his age.

This doesn't mean I think Edler isn't going to be as good as these guys but I would rather gamble on younger cheaper talent than on a 5mil defenseman regaining his form.

The guy kid likes to think he's making a point but really he never has anything to back up his "opinion". Blind hate is foolish and I'm just glad someone else sees it.

And yup Brodie's skating ability is second to none as a defenseman. It's silky smooth and he gets out of difficult situations more often than not because of it. That's why he was able to play top pairing minutes with Giordano (when he was healthy) for most of the season and carried an even plus/minus, along with 31 points (compared to Edler's 22) on a far worse team on paper than the Canucks. But hey if he likes Edler and his -39 plus/minus that's fine, he's got him for four five more years and like you said at 5 million!!

Edler isn't quantity....

I think there are any number of goalies available not named Miller or Hiller we could get for $3 million or less honestly.

I added in the picks because Snow could be intelligent for once and flip them for more assets.

Snow needs to compete NOW which is where Edler and Hansen help. After losing Strome, Anders Lee is the only guy ready to step in, but they do not have a bullish 2 way center like Gaunce in their system which is why he would/may be appealing to them.

And don't listen to Setito.

Anyone can enter a thread and claim it wouldn't happen, but it takes a bit more effort to actually say why it wouldn't happen or work while taking in to consideration the kind of actions Snow has pulled in his tenure. Effort that like the actual player Sestito, the poster Sestito does not display.

I don't feel it would be what the Islanders are looking for.

Edler: I do feel they would have a strong interest in Edler. No debate there.

Markstrom: Isles have Halak in net. At best Markstrom is an unreliable back up. They can sign a more stable veteran back up for cheap instead.

Hansen: He would be an improvement to their bottom 6 but not a game changer that will save the PK. When healthy the isles forwards are not that bad a core their true downfall was with the goalie and defense itself. A year ago this team was in the top 10 in fewest shots allowed a game and this year they were middle of the pack after loosing their 2 best defensemen. Hansen is an improvement but a big 1 and not in the area they most need.

Gaunce: Redundant. Down center they have Tavares, Strome, and Nielsen. Assuming Strome continues to improve this would be one of the best top 3 center cores in the NHL. Nielsen has already been an honorable mention with some Selke votes in the past and would be a sick 3C if Strome surpasses him. Or if he is moved to wing to stay in the top 6 Josh Bailey is a good defensive player who also is a more natural center. Really no reason to hold Gaunce is any high regard for them.

2nd round pick 2014

3rd round pick 2014

5th round pick 2014: Snow said something along the lines of he was satisfied with the build up of talent they already accumulated from years of high draft picks and selling and was not interested in stockpiling more draft picks or project players. His priority was adding players that help them now. So I doubt they would be to interested in getting a bunch of picks like these.

So basically Edler and Hensen are the only 2 players in this package I see offering them any form of improvement. But certainly not at the price of basically two #5 picks. If they wanted to move Strome and this years #5 I feel they could get a package or 2 different trades that address their needs better.

+1

Good post

I think there are any number of goalies available not named Miller or Hiller we could get for $3 million or less honestly.

I added in the picks because Snow could be intelligent for once and flip them for more assets.

Snow needs to compete NOW which is where Edler and Hansen help. After losing Strome, Anders Lee is the only guy ready to step in, but they do not have a bullish 2 way center like Gaunce in their system which is why he would/may be appealing to them.

And don't listen to Setito.

Anyone can enter a thread and claim it wouldn't happen, but it takes a bit more effort to actually say why it wouldn't happen or work while taking in to consideration the kind of actions Snow has pulled in his tenure. Effort that like the actual player Sestito, the poster Sestito does not display.

Umm the Isles still have Griffin Reinhart, Calvin De Haan, and Matt Donovan all possibly making the team next year. They also have Brock Nelson who is miles ahead of Gaunce. They do not need Edler hoping he would turn it around or a third liner to "push them over the top." Especially not at the expense of Strome OR the fifth overall. It's just not even close to being realistic.

Edler gives them a much more viable top 4 while paired with Hamonic and regardless of what Heffy might say does indeed give them a solid D man of the type they haven't had in a while. And I do believe Edler would be a serious threat on the blueline in the East

Thoughts?

You think about me way too much. Get help.

Read his posts and his sig and you'll find out he's the definition of someone who tries to get under our skin and he was already banned once for it.

Read his posts and his sig and you'll find out he's the definition of someone who tries to get under our skin and he was already banned once for it.

Still has nothing to do with what I wrote.

I only speak the truth and facts. You just have a tendency to cry troll when the truth starts to hurt. You make outlandish claims yet never back it up with anything. You are the very definition of a troll. Stop trying to make everything I say about the Flames and actually talk about the game of hockey for once.

Still has nothing to do with what I wrote.

I only speak the truth and facts. You just have a tendency to cry troll when the truth starts to hurt. You make outlandish claims yet never back it up with anything. You are the very definition of a troll. Stop trying to make everything I say about the Flames and actually talk about the game of hockey for once.

Hard to take you seriously when your sig calls a Flames scrub better than any "Casuck".

Thanks for the credit, but there's a lot different in your deal. My proposal has Tanev and Shinkaruk as well as Markstrom because they need right handed D and top 6 left wingers. Edler is yet another left handed D for them (they have a ton, and they're top D prospect in Reinhart is left handed as well). Hansen is another depth right winger they already have enough of and they have plenty of centers already even without Strome.

I don't think that convinces the Isles to trade despite all the pieces we throw in, which is a huge overpayment even if they're minor pieces for the most part.

The Kesler trade's closer, even if the 6th and 7th mean very little to the value we include.

These are 2 teams who are suited to deal:

Tanev

Higgins(if he won't), then Hansen

Booth(retain 2 mill, make him cheap depth for NYI)

Markstrom(Nilsson/Nabby prob gone, so they need BU)

2015 1st (condition, IF our 1st is a top-7 pick, they get our 2016 1st, instead)

NYI send:

Strome

Reinhart

2014 2nd

If they won't include Rhino, try for D Pulock & maybe one more asset(eg-2015 3rd)

Rationale- Tanev, Hansen, Booth & Markstrom could help them climb to the middle of the pack. Then the 2015 1st Rd pick they send Buffalo may be equaled by the pick we send to them.

I'd be willing to sacrifice the above players, + a #8-15 overall? next yr, to land these two studs, Rhino & Strome.

Then acquire extra picks in dealing Kesler.

I can make the argument that he is with facts. Hard to take YOU seriously when all you do is make claims that aren't true. Try harder.

He has 1 NHL goal. We have 2 former Art Ross winners, as well as a Olympic gold medal winning defenseman (who won THIS season). Given the name of the website you are posting on, you should expect to take some flack for calling the Canucks the "Casucks" in your sig.

Archived