The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alex Burmistrov will stay in KHL, will not return to Jets next season

His agent did leave the door open for a potential return in 2015-16, however:

The Winnipeg Jets and Alex Burmistrov never had the ideal relationship. He requested a trade before the trade deadline last season, then and signed a two-year deal with Ak Bars Kazan of the KHL as a free agent.

Although he signed in the KHL, the Jets still retain his NHL rights and will be without him for next season, according to his agent Yuri Nikolaev.

@WiebeSunSports

Yuri Nikolaev, the Russian agent for Alex Burmistrov, said via e-mail his client will remain with Ak Bars Kazan of #KHL next season #NHLJets

@WiebeSunSports

Nikolaev did leave the door open for a possible return to #NHL after Alex Burmistrov honours 2nd year of his contract w/Ak Bars #NHLJets

Burmistrov scored 37 points in 54 games with Ak Bars Kazan in the 2013-14 season.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/511546

Burmistrov is already a good player and he still has room to develop. I would love for the Canucks to trade for his rights to replace Kesler if he is traded knowing that Burmistrov wants to be in Vancouver and a deal has already been worked out. A solid young two-way center with skill. Surely can't take too much to pry him away since he has no desire to play in Winnipeg.

I wonder what the Jets would want for his rights? Our 36th? I get the feeling he is going to return but not to the Jets.

I'd be kinda pissed if benning did that. Maybe our 3rd but this is the highest second we've had in years. Too much of a gamble.

When you really think about it, it shouldn't really cost much. Good player but the jets aren't in a position of strength here. I doubt any team would waste a second round pick on a chance this guy might want to play in the nhl one day.

I doubt this would work but I wonder if they would want Booth? Burmi will likely never lace em up for the jets again and it would be nice to get something for him. Maybe something like booth and a 3rd. They take a chance on a booth who was starting to come back to form at the end of the season. They only take his cap hit for a season, might work, might not but he only has 1 year left. They also gain a high 3rd round pick.

We essentially pay a 3rd round pick to dump him a year earlier and get burmi's rights.

Both teams take a gamble with some upside and the jets get a pick for burmi.

Its so hard drafting/acquiring a Russian knowing that any given day he could take off back to the KHL and you won't get compensated for their departure, just retain their rights which could only get you a mid round pick at best.

I didn't think Kovalchuk would leave after getting $100M reasons to stay.. Radulov took off...Burmi is gone.. Only a matter of time before someone else does too.

Archived