The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offical] Kesler traded to Anaheim

TheRussianRocket.

BREAKING:

Kesler traded to Anaheim for Bonino, Sbisa plus 24th overall pick.

SN -Admin

Canucks KEEP 66th & add 85th pick. Next year's 3rd goes to Anaheim.

@DarrenDreger:

Kesler's agent, Kurt Overhardt has high praise for Canucks GM Jim Benning. Says Benning worked very hard with the 2 teams given (Chi-Ana).

Latest:

http://www.csnchicago.com/blackhawks/report-ryan-kesler-wants-join-either-blackhawks-penguins

Report: Ryan Kesler wants to join either Blackhawks, Penguins

Many observers would argue that the Blackhawks are in need of a second-line center and have been for a while.

Well, what about Ryan Kesler? Would he fit the bill?

According to a report, the one-time Blackhawks rival he's still a Vancouver Canuck wants to be traded and "only wants to go to either" the Blackhawks or Pittsburgh Penguins.

[MORE HAWKS: Blackhawks to face Capitals in 2015 Winter Classic]

It's an interesting bit of information, mostly because any Kesler acquisition would bolster an already All Star-laden Blackhawks roster. He's accounted for 393 points in his career and played alongside Patrick Kane on Team U.S.A. during the Olympics earlier this year.

But there's always that one thing that throws a wrench into every dream acquisition: the salary cap. Though it's expected the salary cap will go up this offseason, it's also expected that the Blackhawks will re-sign Kane and Jonathan Toews to big contracts that will pay them big salaries. That will likely result in some of the same hard choices that general manager Stan Bowman faced following the Blackhawks' Stanley Cup victory in 2010. It means some big-money stars could be departing, not new ones arriving.

But it sounds like if Kesler has anything to say about it, he might be a Blackhawk next season. Of course, that's really up to Bowman, isn't it?

TVA's Renaud Lavoie on Sportsnet 590: "Kesler is going to be traded for sure."

-----------------------------------------------------

Edit:

@passittobulis:

"Vancouver's Ryan Kesler re-iterated his desire to be traded during a meeting with GM Jim Benning. RT @FriedgeHNIC

http://t.co/VeCaOOTfUI

http://www.thescore.com/news/515786

Report: After meeting with new Canucks management, Kesler still wants to be traded

Vancouver Canucks center Ryan Kesler, a former 40-goal scorer and Selke winner, is back on the trade block according to multiple reports.

Kesler reportedly requested a trade ahead of the NHL trade deadline this past February, reports that the U.S. Olympian unconvincingly denied at the time. Ultimately he remained with the team.

After the Canucks shuffled their front office structure - firing Mike Gillis, and hiring Trevor Linden and Jim Benning - new Canucks management made noise suggesting they would do their utmost to keep Kesler in the fold. Kesler has spent the past week in Vancouver, reportedly meeting with team captain Henrik Sedin and with new general manager Benning; but as multiple reports would have it, he appears to be unmoved.

"Ryan Kesler hasn't changed his mind," TSN's Darren Dreger reported on Friday. "He wants a fresh start and to move on from Vancouver; he met with Benning earlier this week to talk about that."

That report was echoed and elaborated on by Vancouver Province beat writer Jason Botchford during an appearance on the Scott Rintoul show late Friday night:

The word out of [Kesler's camp] is that, y'know, Benning's a great guy, but he's inherited a mess, and they don't think this roster has enough skill to win soon and they want to win. So Ryan Kesler goes back on the trade block, and we go through all of this again. ....

Both his side and the Canucks side when they met - Benning, [Kesler's agent Kurt Overhardt], and Kesler - they agreed that they weren't going to say anything - they were going to shut their mouths, and let this play out - because they don't want this big hullabaloo and the circus that encompassed Roberto Luongo, and some of the things that we've seen around Vancouver.

Kesler has two-years remaining on his contract, which carries an annual cap-hit of $5 million and includes a full no-trade clause per capgeek.com. He's reportedly willing to move to one of six possible teams, only two of whom - Anaheim, and Pittsburgh - had serious interest at the NHL trade deadline. That list could expand, presumably, depending on how badly Kesler wants out of Vancouver.

TSN's Pierre LeBrun reports that Vancouver's asking price "remains high," and that the club wants a player who can help now in addition to some high-end futures. Bob McKenzie, meanwhile, has suggested that Kesler's availability could limit Senators captain Jason Spezza's market value.

@CKNW980SPORTS:

Canucks GM Jim Benning met with Ryan Kesler recently. Appears Kesler still wants out.

@SportsnetSpec:

Vancouver GM Jim Benning has talked this week with Ryan Kesler re: future in VAN. "It's between us," Benning said. 1/2

-----------------------------------------------------

Original Post:

@SNHockeyCentral:

Canucks' Benning on 'honest' talks with Ryan Kelser and his agent: "Where it leads to, at this point I dont know."

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2014/5/30/5765784/keslers-days-in-vancouver-seem-numbered

In a perfect world, Wyatt Arndt's tweet comes to fruition:

Bo10jhyIYAAKZhR.png

@TheStanchion:

Ryan Kesler submits his list of teams to he'd be willing to play for to Trevor Linden:

4:44 PM - 29 May 2014

Unfortunately, ever since the rumor surfaced that Ryan Kesler told somebody at the Sochi Olympics that he wanted out of Vancouver, the proverbial fire has not been extinguished, even though he said this in February:

Complete denial. Right? Nah, I was never convinced. The trade deadline didn't help matters either. CBC's Elliotte Friedman had said that "Kesler was only believed to have interest in six teams: Anaheim, Chicago, Colorado, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay."

So did Kesler really want to stay and management wanted to move him? Was it mutual? Did ownership actually veto a Mike Gillis trade of Kesler at the deadline? I think I have an answer for some of that. The Score asked new Canucks GM Jim Benning about Kesler yesterday and he said this:

"I touched base with the agent, and with Ryan yesterday. We're still going back and forth on that. We're going to listen to Ryan. We're going to have a good, open, honest communication. Where it leads to, at this point, I don't know, but we've had open communication with him and his agent."

Ergh. That's where you can read between the lines. 100% certainty? Almost. It appears Kesler would like to be traded. It sucks. He's the heart and soul of the team. Players like Kesler don't grow on trees. I want him here. But if he wants out, yea, by all means, please ship him out of town when the deal is right. It's a lousy reality but it appears to be what is going down.

Will a deal go down on Draft Day? Maybe the Canucks are one of the 6-or-so teams interested in Florida's first pick overall.

Kesler needs the same thing alot of the Current roster needs.

A New City, a New Group, and new teammates.

I am a very conflicted fan right now. On one hand I don't want to give up chasing the cup, but on the other, I don't believe the team was as bad as last season would have us believe.

At this point, I just hope Trevor and Jim do what is best for the Canucks chances to win a cup, and if that means letting go of RK17, then I guess I'll just have to accept it and continue to cheer on Kesler where ever he ends up. Tough Times for Canucks fans.

Done deal just a matter of to where

Florida for the top pick and a prospect (doubt hed go there)

Tampa for connolly and kucherov or picks or combo

Detroit for mantha or nyquvist

Philly for Couturier or read or picks or combo

Pitts for pouliot bennett matta picks or combo

Montreal for Galchenyuk or tinordi or combo with picks

Anaheim for etem silverberg picks or combo

Columbus for wennberg and jenner

Or maybe even colorado or chicago or minny

Edit fixed spelling

Tamapa for connolly and kucherov or picks or combo

Philly for couterioure or read or picks or combo

Pitts for pouliote bennet maata picks or combo

Montreal for galcheyenek or tinordi or combo with picks

Anahiem for etem silverberg picks or combo

Columbous for wennberg and jenner

Or maybe even colorodo or chicago or minny

90% of those players don't exist.

Tamapa for connolly and kucherov or picks or combo

Pitts for pouliote bennet maata picks or combo

Montreal for galcheyenek or tinordi or combo with picks

Columbous for wennberg and jenner

Or maybe even colorodo or chicago or minny

If we can trade Kesler and a 2nd for Connolly and Kucherov, That would be wonderful.

I still think Anaheim is one of the best trading partners, divisions be damned.

If both teams feel they got what they wanted, why should it matter if they share a division?

Myself, I would like to see Emerson Etem in the Canucks system.

Shinkaruk and Etem played well together in junior, they might have some chemistry up here also.

I am not saying Kesler is worth only Etem, but I would like to see him as part of the deal.

There prospects so some havent played in the nhl yet. But there all good prospects :)

He means you absolutely butchered the spelling of nearly all the names (cities, too). Well we're at it, they're* for both.

I don't want Kes out. If he does though, no point in keeping a player with no will to play here.

You can tell who watches alot of hockey and who doesn't by how badly they butcher player names. :lol:

It's not only player names. The way this guy butchers the English language is really something to behold.

It's not like the site doesn't have a spell check.

Tampa for connolly and kucherov or picks or combo

Pitts for pouliot bennett matta picks or combo

Montreal for galchenyenek or tinordi or combo with picks

Columbus for wennberg and jenner

Or maybe even colorado or chicago or minny

Edit fixed spelling

^ try again.

90% of those players don't exist.

In so many instances, spelling matters. ;)

Anaheim, Chicago, Colorado, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay

A trade with ANA and TBL would be good. Both teams are loaded with young talent.

I agree those would be the priority esp tampa

Also would be good to analyze how those teams scout cause it seems to work

Archived