The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offical] Kesler traded to Anaheim

TheRussianRocket.

I really like Kesler (always like him from a day 1 in a Canucks uniform), his style and character .Can somebody explain to me why he wants out ? and why Canucks not trying to hold on player like Kesler (and his very reasonable contract $$).

Thanks

He wants to go to a contender. The Canucks aren't likely to contend for a cup during the remainder of his contract, so it makes sense to get some value for him. His reasonable contract increases his value for a trade, as contenders are usually pretty close to the cap.

I really like Kesler (always like him from a day 1 in a Canucks uniform), his style and character .Can somebody explain to me why he wants out ? and why Canucks not trying to hold on player like Kesler (and his very reasonable contract $$).

Thanks

He requested a traded to a contender

He wants to go to a contender. The Canucks aren't likely to contend for a cup during the remainder of his contract, so it makes sense to get some value for him. His reasonable contract increases his value for a trade, as contenders are usually pretty close to the cap.

He requested a traded to a contender

In other words, abandon ship.

Thanks

Kesler has suffered some hard losses in his career (2010 Olympics, 2011 Finals, 2014 Olympics) and wants to win now. The way the Canucks are rebuilding/retooling now isn't an ideal situation for him as he wants to win a Cup.

The Canucks are trying to trade him because he requested for a trade and it would be a bad fit in the locker room if he was still part of the team.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/527706

Trade Market Heating up for Canucks' Kesler

The Vancouver Canucks are trying to trade malcontent center Ryan Kesler ahead of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft in Philadelphia, Pa. on Friday night. While it was reported Wednesday that the Canucks were feeling underwhelmed by the offers for Kesler, recent developments suggest that this new Canucks management team may have more success moving a star player at this year's draft, than their predecessors had in Newark, N.J. last June.

"There's a heightened sense of urgency," TSN's Darren Dreger reported on an NHL Draft Preview segment at TSN.ca on Thursday afternoon, "and some close to the situation believe that a trade will happen within the next 24 hours."

In an appearance on Vancouver sports talk radio station the Team 1040 shortly thereafter, Dreger's colleague Bob McKenzie suggested that something on the Kesler market has shifted substantially over the past 24 hours. He hasn't quite pinned down what the substantial something is, however:

I do get the sense that something has happened in the last 24 hours that has accelerated the timetable a little bit. There's never any guarantee a deal gets done on anybody's timetable, but there is a sense that this thing could get done (some time between now and the draft on Friday night).

So that means one of two things happened in my mind. Either one of the Chicago Blackhawks or Anaheim Ducks - the two teams that were really front and center... have altered their offers and made things a little more interest for the Vancouver Canucks or... maybe somebody from outside the pack has come in, and maybe it's something that Ryan Kesler is prepared to listen to over and above some of the teams on his original six team list...

Whatever it is, something has happened in the last 24 hours to lead us to believe that the likelihood of a Kesler trade is more likely than it was (yesterday).

Whether the Ducks or Blackhawks have sweetened the pot, or a classic "mystery team" has entered the fray and complicated things, one thing is clear: there are a number of clubs that would love to add the former Selke-winner and U.S. Olympian.

The problem for those clubs (and for Vancouver to some extent), is that Kesler's contract has a full no-trade clause. He still gets to press send on any deal that he's involved in. Kesler's list is more exclusive than what you'd find at a trendy club, though that hasn't stopped teams from going to great lengths to get in:

With the draft set to kick off in slightly over 24 hours, Kesler's status appears to be the big domino. Will he fall this time around, or will Vancouver's inability to move him hold up the market as it reportedly did at the 2014 NHL trade deadline?

Guest Dasein

The Vancouver Canucks are trying to trade malcontent center Ryan Kesler ahead of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft in Philadelphia, Pa. on Friday night. While it was reported Wednesday that the Canucks were feeling underwhelmed by the offers for Kesler, recent developments suggest that this new Canucks management team may have more success moving a star player at this year's draft, than their predecessors had in Newark, N.J. last June.

"There's a heightened sense of urgency," TSN's Darren Dreger reported on an NHL Draft Preview segment at TSN.ca on Thursday afternoon, "and some close to the situation believe that a trade will happen within the next 24 hours."

In an appearance on Vancouver sports talk radio station the Team 1040 shortly thereafter, Dreger's colleague Bob McKenzie suggested that something on the Kesler market has shifted substantially over the past 24 hours. He hasn't quite pinned down what the substantial something is, however:

I do get the sense that something has happened in the last 24 hours that has accelerated the timetable a little bit. There's never any guarantee a deal gets done on anybody's timetable, but there is a sense that this thing could get done (some time between now and the draft on Friday night).

So that means one of two things happened in my mind. Either one of the Chicago Blackhawks or Anaheim Ducks - the two teams that were really front and center... have altered their offers and made things a little more interest for the Vancouver Canucks or... maybe somebody from outside the pack has come in, and maybe it's something that Ryan Kesler is prepared to listen to over and above some of the teams on his original six team list...

Whatever it is, something has happened in the last 24 hours to lead us to believe that the likelihood of a Kesler trade is more likely than it was (yesterday).

Whether the Ducks or Blackhawks have sweetened the pot, or a classic "mystery team" has entered the fray and complicated things, one thing is clear: there are a number of clubs that would love to add the former Selke-winner and U.S. Olympian.

The problem for those clubs (and for Vancouver to some extent), is that Kesler's contract has a full no-trade clause. He still gets to press send on any deal that he's involved in. Kesler's list is more exclusive than what you'd find at a trendy club, though that hasn't stopped teams from going to great lengths to get in:

With the draft set to kick off in slightly over 24 hours, Kesler's status appears to be the big domino. Will he fall this time around, or will Vancouver's inability to move him hold up the market as it reportedly did at the 2014 NHL trade deadline?

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/527706

Edit: if elvis wants to make a new thread with this article go ahead feel free

Sounds like Pierre found out?

Biggest change in Kesler situation last 24 hours: more teams are trying to get in on the action. But would Kesler waiv for them or not?

Kesler has suffered some hard losses in his career (2010 Olympics, 2011 Finals, 2014 Olympics) and wants to win now. The way the Canucks are rebuilding/retooling now isn't an ideal situation for him as he wants to win a Cup.

The Canucks are trying to trade him because he requested for a trade and it would be a bad fit in the locker room if he was still part of the team.

If you request a trade from a club then your NT claus should be void!!!!!! You want out, don't let the door hit you. He wants to go to a contender, I want to say the Canucks are Stanley Cup Champs

Thank you very much for the information gentleman's ! Perhaps I am missing something because if we trade him to Anaheim or Chicago it will only decrease our chances next year IMO Sedins not getting any younger, we have a solid core of players, new coach and GM. I wish we can keep Kesler and become a contender with him AGAIN !

@Real_ESPNLeBrun:

Im stupid and im just copying other peoples tweets, Biggest change in Kesler situation last 24 hours: more teams are trying to get in on the action. But would Kesler waiv for them or not? But honestly who cares cause i dont really know anything

Archived