The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why are the Van Giants an after thought on this board?

I have noticed that any thing about Van Giants is not responded to...but all Victoria, Kamloops and others is a hot button???

I cant understand this,,, what a joke!!

I posted in the Van Giant thread about new head coaching candidates and not one response???

I just dont get it...keep on keeping on!

Love the Giants, don't get out to many games, but I try. There's not a lot of media coverage on them, and Team 1040 doesn't do much at all to announce anything. Neither do the major newspapers. The Giants and Canadians seem to get shafted by the sports media in this city.

It's pretty clear there's a lot of NHL fans in Vancouver. WHL, no so much.

Love the Giants, don't get out to many games, but I try. There's not a lot of media coverage on them, and Team 1040 doesn't do much at all to announce anything. Neither do the major newspapers. The Giants and Canadians seem to get shafted by the sports media in this city.

It's pretty clear there's a lot of NHL fans in Vancouver. WHL, no so much.

In all fairness, most of the other WHL (or CHL, for that matter) teams don't have to compete with an NHL team in the same city. And while it is good hockey to watch, it's still junior hockey—it's a world away from the NHL level.

Add to that, the Giants were at the bottom of the junior hockey cycle two years ago; they're only starting to be back on the rise again. In a couple of years, when the Giants are serious contenders again, they might get more attention.

In all fairness, most of the other WHL (or CHL, for that matter) teams don't have to compete with an NHL team in the same city. And while it is good hockey to watch, it's still junior hockey—it's a world away from the NHL level.

Add to that, the Giants were at the bottom of the junior hockey cycle two years ago; they're only starting to be back on the rise again. In a couple of years, when the Giants are serious contenders again, they might get more attention.

thats great...so basically if you are a winner,,they will come..if not,,we dont even care what you are doing.. :lol:

I dont buy it for a second...the Giants are former Memorial cup winners,,and need a little respect in this town..

Meanwhile the rest of CDC is going crazy over the upcoming draft?

Where the hell do these players come from..I just lurve Junior hockey.

thats great...so basically if you are a winner,,they will come..if not,,we dont even care what you are doing.. :lol:

I dont buy it for a second...the Giants are former Memorial cup winners,,and need a little respect in this town..

Meanwhile the rest of CDC is going crazy over the upcoming draft?

Where the hell do these players come from..I just lurve Junior hockey.

Come on, it's not like no one's coming out to the games. There's been a pretty good turnout every time I've gone out.

And speaking of the NHL draft, none of the current eligible Giants are high on the draft radar, either. So that isn't helping raise their profile at the present time.

Come on, it's not like no one's coming out to the games. There's been a pretty good turnout every time I've gone out.

And speaking of the NHL draft, none of the current eligible Giants are high on the draft radar, either. So that isn't helping raise their profile at the present time.

Its been a dry spell for sure and we got some high draft picks ....couple of guys coming through the chain could be..but...all I am saying is..lets get behind theses kids.

Its been a dry spell for sure and we got some high draft picks ....couple of guys coming through the chain could be..but...all I am saying is..lets get behind theses kids.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying people shouldn't support the Giants but bear in mind, this is a Canucks forum, not a Vancouver hockey forum—big difference there. The focus of the whole website is the Canucks and that's the main reason why people visit and/or log on.

I find it harder to cheer for/follow kids who are way better at hockey when they're not trying than I will ever be. I'd rather cheer for someone older than me. Great logic, I know.

WJCs are different though. They're representing my country :)

Its a public forum.. People post when they want about what they want. Some just troll.

The Giants aren't an afterthought... but CDC is mostly for the Canucks. If someone has something to say about the Giants, I'm sure they will.

It sucks Don Hay is heading back to Kamloops.. Obviously that means there is a coaching vacancy in Vancouver for the Giants. Its alot different to comment on this when you don't hear much on it like you do with the Canucks search for a coach. I don't know who the options are... I don't know where these options could come from.. You could go with a former NHL player like how Guelph did with Scott Walker.. So i guess that comes to suggest.. whose interested in coaching? Would they want to hire a local boy? If so... what arae your options? Dave Babych?

Tim Hunter looks interested in getting behind the bench. He has some NHL coaching experience from his time in Toronto.

Personally, I would try to go after an assistant from the Oil Kings such as Steve Hamilton.

It's because Vancouver isn't really a sports city and most people who like the Canucks only like the Canucks when it comes to hockey. There are a lot of die hard Canucks fans in this city, however this is a lack of die hard hockey fans it seems. I also feel that the Giants don't do a good enough job marketing themselves. I'm sure having a canuck prospect on their squad once in a while would help as well.

Archived