The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why are the Van Giants an after thought on this board?

Travis Green is high on the list for coach as well.. All depending on what the Canucks do with him in Utica.

Not sure if that makes sense. I can see Tim Hunter wanting a shot to be a head coach somewhere because he hasn't had that opportunity yet. For Green to take a head coaching job at the junior level when he's already a head coach in the AHL would be step down, would it not?

1. This is a Canucks board. Not a Giants board.

2. Vancouver has the Canucks. They're the cities number one focus and they get all the attention. While BC is Canucks territory, and they're considered the home team in the Okanagan, on Vancouver Island, etc. These are smaller cities without big league teams, so the Royals, Blazers, Rockets, etc are the top dogs in Victoria, Kamloops, Kelowna, etc.

1. This is a Canucks board. Not a Giants board.

2. Vancouver has the Canucks. They're the cities number one focus and they get all the attention. While BC is Canucks territory, and they're considered the home team in the Okanagan, on Vancouver Island, etc. These are smaller cities without big league teams, so the Royals, Blazers, Rockets, etc are the top dogs in Victoria, Kamloops, Kelowna, etc.

You are wrong oh great one..this topic is Jr. Hockey discussion.sorry to burst your bubble....I kind of understand what you are saying but I find it odd that there is very little input into a Jr. team that caters to basically 2 million people.

I understand there are other cities in this province and I think I have been to most as I have lived here a few years but judging by the input on this forum they are vastly more popular than the Van Giants.

Im not upset about this fact, I just find it strange...but cest le vie...and thanks for you wonderful insight.

Most Canucks fans in the city of Vancouver are just Canucks fans. They aren't hockey fans. They only know the Canucks and have a general knowledge of a few players around the league and how good the teams are. When it comes to actual hockey talk, they won't stand a chance but again, Vancouver is a Canucks town, not a hockey town.

I agree with the poster .. Ive actually said this before ... The problem is that we are not a hockey town .... We are a canucks town ... And half of those canuck fans are just bandwaggoners who will follow whatever team is doing well .. be that the blue jays , white caps , or whoever ... its embarrassing actually ... we are who they think we are

OK, so if Vancouver isn't a hockey town, then what NHL city is?

Montréal? In the four years I was there, not one person I talked to ever brought up anything to do with the 'Q'. In Montréal, it's all about the Habs.

Toronto? Almost no one watches hockey once the playoffs begin because in Toronto, if the Leafs aren't involved, then it doesn't happen, as far as they're concerned. They have no clue about anything in the Western Conference. Junior hockey? There's a reason why the Ice Dogs and the Battalion were moved from Mississauga and Brampton respectively.

When it comes to bandwagoners and fans who don't have a clue what they're talking about, Vancouver isn't unique or even the worst.

The real hockey fans are the ones who appreciate and enjoy hockey at all levels. I completely agree with the last couple of posts. Vancouver isn't a hockey town...It's a city filled with a bunch of band wagoners. Its sad but true. Anybody who has been to a WHL game knows it is an exciting brand of hockey and the kids that are playing in the league are playing for their future. I wish the giants got more love in the city.

Used to love them - cheap entertainment and super exciting games. Kind of lost touch recently and they were terrible a year or two ago, so also lost interest.

But I remember watching Blum, Watt, Bliz & Luc during a pretty great period for the team. Brule. Wacey Rabbit ... what's not to love about a team with a guy named that?? Been some good times watching the Giants and I'd like to regenerate my interest again...just haven't had much time to support them. Lions/Canucks and now Whitecaps. Giants have fallen to the bottom.

OK, so if Vancouver isn't a hockey town, then what NHL city is?

Montréal? In the four years I was there, not one person I talked to ever brought up anything to do with the 'Q'. In Montréal, it's all about the Habs.

Toronto? Almost no one watches hockey once the playoffs begin because in Toronto, if the Leafs aren't involved, then it doesn't happen, as far as they're concerned. They have no clue about anything in the Western Conference. Junior hockey? There's a reason why the Ice Dogs and the Battalion were moved from Mississauga and Brampton respectively.

When it comes to bandwagoners and fans who don't have a clue what they're talking about, Vancouver isn't unique or even the worst.

Exactly!

Hate to break it to some of you, but Vancouver IS as much a hockey town as anywhere else. If you don't consider Vancouver a hockey town, then you can't expect places like Toronto and Montreal to be more hockey towns.

It's pretty god damned sad how much self-hatred some people on CDC have of their own team and fanbase. Oh, and if we weren't such a hockey town, the Vancouver Giants wouldn't exist. But they do, because we love hockey.

Also, this is a Canucks forum first and foremost, so of course the Canucks are the team to talk about here. They are a franchise in a major sport. Maybe if the Canucks never existed, the Giants would get more exposure. Oh, and Vancouver, as well as the rest of BC produce lots of great hockey players. Because we like hockey.

So, maybe you self-haters should shut up before saying something that isn't actually very smart or well thought out.

Exactly!

Hate to break it to some of you, but Vancouver IS as much a hockey town as anywhere else. If you don't consider Vancouver a hockey town, then you can't expect places like Toronto and Montreal to be more hockey towns.

It's pretty god damned sad how much self-hatred some people on CDC have of their own team and fanbase. Oh, and if we weren't such a hockey town, the Vancouver Giants wouldn't exist. But they do, because we love hockey.

Also, this is a Canucks forum first and foremost, so of course the Canucks are the team to talk about here. They are a franchise in a major sport. Maybe if the Canucks never existed, the Giants would get more exposure. Oh, and Vancouver, as well as the rest of BC produce lots of great hockey players. Because we like hockey.

So, maybe you self-haters should shut up before saying something that isn't actually very smart or well thought out.

Thank you. I get so sick of all the people bashing the Canucks, Vancouver, BC whatever. They need to pick a new team, or move or just shut the hell up.

Also, Canucks fans aren't just IN Vancouver. You people do realize that, right? We have Canucks fans all over BC, as well as Canada, and even the world. Of course the Canucks, being a major team in a major sport, get the most attention.

Maybe minor league teams like the Giants would get more exposure if they had better TV deals. A lot of us are not able to watch Giants games. Minor league teams rarely get put on TV.

Also, even though this is Canucks Dot Com, you are still posting this thread in a junior hockey discussion forum. So yes, we do know these teams exist. However, they have no more affiliation to the Canucks as a team all the way in the QMJHL.

• 5 weeks later...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying people shouldn't support the Giants but bear in mind, this is a Canucks forum, not a Vancouver hockey forum—big difference there. The focus of the whole website is the Canucks and that's the main reason why people visit and/or log on.

your right. im just trying to look at canucks stufff. i live an hour away from van i can just see giants games instead of looking on here for there stuuff

Kinda off topic but why hasn't done hay gotten a NHL job even as an assistant coach. If guys like Wd, Johnson, ect... Get jobs how come a guy who help e Kane, lucic, franson, ect... Be regular NHL timers not even a interview.

Has he stated like the hunters they prefer junior hockey over ahl or NHL coachimg?

Kinda off topic but why hasn't done hay gotten a NHL job even as an assistant coach. If guys like Wd, Johnson, ect... Get jobs how come a guy who help e Kane, lucic, franson, ect... Be regular NHL timers not even a interview.

Has he stated like the hunters they prefer junior hockey over ahl or NHL coachimg?

Don Hay is coaching the Kamloops Blazers,,Vancouver doesnt have a head coach yet,, they arent rushing but Tim Hunter remains high on the list.

My in laws are giants season ticket holders but I swear they go mainly for the social aspect of hanging out with some friends. I'm pretty sure they dont even know too much about the top players on other teams.

Also as someone mentioned its hard to get attached to players when there is so much turnover.

I think I heard somewhere that Don Hay didn't want an NHL job because he wanted to be close to his family etc.

I think that's an unfair assessment of non-Giants fans.

Many fans of the sport are only fans of professional hockey. They enjoy the high tempo of the NHL, the European leagues, and perhaps even the AHL. Overall, the game at the junior level is sloppy at best, many of the players aren't talented enough to be really noteworthy (many simply re-enter life afterward and require full-time regular employment), and the turnover rate of players on any particular roster is high enough that followers can't become too attached to the individual players or personalities. Some of these players continue to play recreational hockey afterwards, and they don't particularly stand out in any way.

The CHL is a strong league for Canada's player development program, but from an entertainment or quality perspective it is severely lacking in comparison to the pro leagues. Passes frequently aren't crisp, the players generally collapse in the defensive zone and give the opposition far too much time and space, and the game's pace can sometimes seem very slow. As a consumer product that we are required to pay money to see, the quality of the product might not be worth the price of admission. The value of scouting players at the junior level might be worth the price to some, but generally coverage of the CHL's top players is extensive in the media anyway.

To draw a parallel, a diehard soccer/football fan may enjoy watching every level down to the MLS level, but their love of the game might not extend down to the USSF, USL or NASL levels. How important were the Whitecaps to most Vancouver soccer fans when they were in the United Soccer Leagues First Division?

I don't agree. Look at Football in the US. High School and College Football is no where near the level of the NFL. Yet in the US people in small towns fill stadiums in the thousands to watch games. There is a serious loyalty to the schools you either went to or support.

It's about culture on the sport you like. I've gone to more Vancouver Canadians baseball games than I ever have for the Mariners.

I've also watched more minor league football, than I have CFL, or NFL live. Depending on my schedule at work this fall, I'm planning on going to Giants games, I doubt I'll have the cash to even go to 1 Canucks game this year.

Archived