The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

Little man cannot win with his infantry de ligne?

Have you done the coalition campaign? I've tried it twice as Russia on hard and very hard. Gave up by 1806 in both. Getting tired of the nonsensical alliance breaking and declarations of peace made in turn. All the major powers except Britain declare war on me even when relations were "very friendly" the week before. Meanwhile there is unwavering peace between France, Austria, Prussia, and the Turks allowing them to turn all their armies at me.

Have you done the coalition campaign? I've tried it twice as Russia on hard and very hard. Gave up by 1806 in both. Getting tired of the nonsensical alliance breaking and declarations of peace made in turn. All the major powers except Britain declare war on me even when relations were "very friendly" the week before. Meanwhile there is unwavering peace between France, Austria, Prussia, and the Turks allowing them to turn all their armies at me.

Please... I do not "co-ally" with any peasant nations. Line up your Cossacks and Ulans all you want, but bow before the might of my 12 lb batteries.

Peasant.

I'd have to reinstall and look into how Darthmod multiplayer works. Must play Attila.... must restore honour to Rome...

Rome 2 is cool. Played for a bit with the gore mod. Realistically bloodly battles. It's hard to go back to swords and arrows once you get guns and massive cannons. You could see the transition between Empire to Napoleon, to Rome 2. In Empire, there is no attrition, liberation, etc, but there is Napoleon, and then those things are carried over into Rome 2. Dunno if those things were available in previos TW, but yeah..

Figured out the alliance thing, I think. Kiss a bit of ass and give some of your technology away as a gift. Allow military access indefinitely. Giving tech counts as a state gift and counts towards friendlier relationships (+). I don't think that was the case in Empire so it never occurred to me to do that here. Prussians and Austrians aren't at my doorstep now.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

I had forgotten about the new Unreal Tournament. To my surprise you can download the pre-season alpha right now.

I've always sucked at fast paced arena shooters so this should be an interesting (or seeing red, rage inducing) experience.

Thank you for the heads-up, I'm downloading it now!

I've heard about the reboot, but I didn't realize they could release the game this quick in any form. I hope it retains what has made the original game such a classic. For me, UT has forever spoiled my expectations for the FPS genre. IMO, Epic's "jump" from UT to Gears is a total devolution of shooters, playing the Gears multiplayer feels like driving a tank, although the single player campaigns were great fun.

Rome 2 is cool. Played for a bit with the gore mod. Realistically bloodly battles. It's hard to go back to swords and arrows once you get guns and massive cannons. You could see the transition between Empire to Napoleon, to Rome 2. In Empire, there is no attrition, liberation, etc, but there is Napoleon, and then those things are carried over into Rome 2. Dunno if those things were available in previos TW, but yeah..

Figured out the alliance thing, I think. Kiss a bit of ass and give some of your technology away as a gift. Allow military access indefinitely. Giving tech counts as a state gift and counts towards friendlier relationships (+). I don't think that was the case in Empire so it never occurred to me to do that here. Prussians and Austrians aren't at my doorstep now.

There is nothing realistic or good about TW Rome II. It is by far the worst Total War game out there (Empire comes a close second). Mods cannot save it. Patches couldn't save it.

In response to your gun-loving though, I have some things to say. First, I disagree. I'm currently playing Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai. I have completely snuffed out any form of modernization, and I'm running my completely inferior swords/spears right into a modern rifled army (supported by shrapnel artillery and gatling guns). My guys are half-strength by the time they reach the lines but it is absolutely glorious to watch.

It also seems you haven't played the original Rome Total War or Medieval II. Rome is the magnum opus of Creative Assembly. The physics system is wonderful, the music is high-paced and it's just an overall joy to go back to. Same with Medieval II. After that is Shogun 2, which, despite the flaws of the atrocious Warscape engine, is a supremely polished game. But yeah, the composer makes a big difference. Those three games all used Jeff van Dyck as the composer while the rest (Empire, Napoleon, Rome II, Attila) all used Richard Beddow, and his music is absolutely boring in-game.

My two cents.

anyone playing the Battlefront beta? it's pretty fun, but not sure I'd buy it

I have been playing it on PS4. I am also unsure if I will buy it (at least at full price) mainly because it gives me the vibe that it will get boring after a short period of time.