The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

40 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

So what are the real bad things about the game? You say you're not overly impressed, but you name off a bunch of things you liked, and the only flaw you really named was always online.

The player based servers, rubber banding,  Random dc's both in and out of game, and having to remigrate to a new host was not a small Issue,and not something we should have to deal with in 2017.

Ubisoft should know better, and as for the online DRM, it's just a massive pain in the ass for PC users. 

That being said, it isn't awful, but the things that are wrong with tremendously cripple the games launch on PC, it is. A huge deal to that part of the community.  For console users, itd probably be a pretty fun romp, I still question the 80 dollar price tag

38 minutes ago, Chris said:

The player based servers, rubber banding,  Random dc's both in and out of game, and having to remigrate to a new host was not a small Issue,and not something we should have to deal with in 2017.

Ubisoft should know better, and as for the online DRM, it's just a massive pain in the ass for PC users. 

That being said, it isn't awful, but the things that are wrong with tremendously cripple the games launch on PC, it is. A huge deal to that part of the community.  For console users, itd probably be a pretty fun romp, I still question the 80 dollar price tag

Ah, alright. I was just wondering from like a gameplay standpoint, what your thoughts were. I get that those things affect the gameplay in a way, but I was curious how the real product was, before all that dumbass connectivity stuff that Ubisoft loves to do.

Since, it sounds like a pretty fun time before that gets thrown into the mix.

1 hour ago, DollarAndADream said:

Ah, alright. I was just wondering from like a gameplay standpoint, what your thoughts were. I get that those things affect the gameplay in a way, but I was curious how the real product was, before all that dumbass connectivity stuff that Ubisoft loves to do.

Since, it sounds like a pretty fun time before that gets thrown into the mix.

The gameplay itself isn't bad at all, It's rewarding, you feel your strikes - and(Once you have a sense of the Stamina Meter) Dodging in and out of combat is a blast - the 4 on 4 mode is really neat, you get 3 points, one on each side, and the a Battlefield Lane loaded with enemy foot soldiers to slaughter your way through,It made me feel  kind of like I was back at Helm's deep ripping through hoardes of Orcs with Aragorn at moments, you basically have 2 different modes - a "Lock/Duel Mode" Where you move your mouse and click depending on which direction you want to block, or strike from, and are locked to one other player target - which can EASILY be rotated for some of those sweet, 2 on 1 Bad ass moments( https://twitter.com/DgCNewbyCake/status/826116080145948672/video/1  - Not my vid ) - and a free mode, which lets you run, and free strike, and is usually used to whipe out minions with big AOE attacks, or lots of single attacks, again, you feel like a badass straight out of the LOTR movies at times. - if LOTR doesn't work for your, pick a fandom with Heroes Slaying multiple enemies, lol.

The one major ingame gameplay issue I had, was the balance of, believe or not - ladders, it was WAY too easy to literally troll the other team by running to a ladder and sliding down on their heads knocking them to their death, or waiting for them to come down from the top and just smacking them off to their deaths, stupid bug, can easily be fixed with time I would imagine.

It IS a very fun game, I just worry it will suffer the same fate as Hitman. - which I ended up buying and loving for a discount

If they Drop the player based servers and the singleplayer campaign lives up to the hype, They've got a very strong title and Franchise to build upon. That being said, I still don't expect it'll get anything better than a "Mixed" review on Steam based on the DRM issues and Always online problem.

Edited by Chris
  • Upvote 1

Hardware question here: Does anyone know often the new Nvidia GPUs come out? I bought a GTX  970 a year and a half ago, and it's still doing quite well for me. Decided against anything from the most recent series (1060, 1070, 1080), but I'm considering updating every other set. Assuming it's the 1100 series, when about should I expect it to be out?

On 2017-02-01 at 9:32 PM, Chris said:

The gameplay itself isn't bad at all, It's rewarding, you feel your strikes - and(Once you have a sense of the Stamina Meter) Dodging in and out of combat is a blast - the 4 on 4 mode is really neat, you get 3 points, one on each side, and the a Battlefield Lane loaded with enemy foot soldiers to slaughter your way through,It made me feel  kind of like I was back at Helm's deep ripping through hoardes of Orcs with Aragorn at moments, you basically have 2 different modes - a "Lock/Duel Mode" Where you move your mouse and click depending on which direction you want to block, or strike from, and are locked to one other player target - which can EASILY be rotated for some of those sweet, 2 on 1 Bad ass moments( https://twitter.com/DgCNewbyCake/status/826116080145948672/video/1  - Not my vid ) - and a free mode, which lets you run, and free strike, and is usually used to whipe out minions with big AOE attacks, or lots of single attacks, again, you feel like a badass straight out of the LOTR movies at times. - if LOTR doesn't work for your, pick a fandom with Heroes Slaying multiple enemies, lol.

The one major ingame gameplay issue I had, was the balance of, believe or not - ladders, it was WAY too easy to literally troll the other team by running to a ladder and sliding down on their heads knocking them to their death, or waiting for them to come down from the top and just smacking them off to their deaths, stupid bug, can easily be fixed with time I would imagine.

It IS a very fun game, I just worry it will suffer the same fate as Hitman. - which I ended up buying and loving for a discount

If they Drop the player based servers and the singleplayer campaign lives up to the hype, They've got a very strong title and Franchise to build upon. That being said, I still don't expect it'll get anything better than a "Mixed" review on Steam based on the DRM issues and Always online problem.

That's the kind of $&!# that gets me hype! Lol I used to love playing the old LOTR games on PS2 back in the day, like The Two Towers I think was my favourite.

I think the next Beta for For Honor is out soon, so maybe I'll try that.

On 2/2/2017 at 6:56 AM, ajhockey said:

Hardware question here: Does anyone know often the new Nvidia GPUs come out? I bought a GTX  970 a year and a half ago, and it's still doing quite well for me. Decided against anything from the most recent series (1060, 1070, 1080), but I'm considering updating every other set. Assuming it's the 1100 series, when about should I expect it to be out?

Google is your friend.   http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-volta-gpu-leaked-2017-2018/

Take the info from there and Google until your heart's content.....

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/2/2017 at 4:56 AM, ajhockey said:

If money is a factor for you, it may be worth waiting a year or two longer before upgrading. The technology in GPU's is upgrading exponentially right now and the requirements by games are following suit. You may spend 800 bucks on a GPU next year that can't play new games at 60 FPS within a year.

I just bought a 1070 in October and it was a great purchase, but early looks at the upcoming graphics cards has me wondering if I should have waited.

4 hours ago, Fateless said:

If money is a factor for you, it may be worth waiting a year or two longer before upgrading. The technology in GPU's is upgrading exponentially right now and the requirements by games are following suit. You may spend 800 bucks on a GPU next year that can't play new games at 60 FPS within a year.

I just bought a 1070 in October and it was a great purchase, but early looks at the upcoming graphics cards has me wondering if I should have waited.

Should really just OC the 970 or SLI with a second card later.  Cheaper options.

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Should really just OC the 970 or SLI with a second card later.  Cheaper options.

SLI is honestly the biggest gimmick and money sink that I've seen. So unnecessary. By the time games are requiring more power that one card can't give, there is a new model out around the same price you would have paid for the second card in SLI configuration. Except that you have a modern GPU instead of two old ones.

Not to mention you don't have to deal with the hassle that is SLI.

As far as the 1070 goes, its been phenomenal. I bought the non-OC version and have manually overclocked it myself and am getting better performance than most of the OC versions get before artifact starts to appear in benchmarks. The improvement from a 970 or 980ti is massive considering the cost difference being relatively minimal (at least when I purchased mine).

I think the 1060 and 1070 are great value. The 1080 and Titan not so much. Small performance increase at the cost of hundreds.

Edited by Fateless

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Caboose said:

Anyone still playing Civilization VI? fired it up again today after a while away.

I'm playing 5, got it and all the DC for less than $50 ish and I just forced france to surrender everything in Africa.  Now I am turning my eyes towards Russia and England.

Prepare to see my final solution.

(I am playing as the shoshone so shhh...racsists)

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Xbox said:

Joining the master race this month with a budget of $1800. Goona build a BEAST.

$1,800 will net you a very solid build.  Post your specs when you decide what components you are buying. 

Hold off if you can on buying a top of the line Nvidia 1080Ti GTX video card because the GTX 20 based cards are coming out in the summer and will be better suited for 4k gaming.

The Nvidia 12nm based Volta GPUs are going into supercomputers this year but won't be available for consumer PCs until sometime in 2018.

-----------

Lord GabeN welcomes you!!

812.jpg

• Upvote 1

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:47 PM, Xbox said:

Joining the master race this month with a budget of $1800. Goona build a BEAST.

Dam man, that seems like a lot of coin.  Are you building a pilot simulator lol?  That would be so fun, if I ever won the lottery I'd make a kickass gaming room complete with my own flight simulator thingamajig.

Image result for pilot simulator rigImage result for pilot simulator rig

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2017 at 11:33 PM, SabreFan1 said:

$1,800 will net you a very solid build.  Post your specs when you decide what components you are buying. 

Hold off if you can on buying a top of the line Nvidia 1080Ti GTX video card because the GTX 20 based cards are coming out in the summer and will be better suited for 4k gaming.

The Nvidia 12nm based Volta GPUs are going into supercomputers this year but won't be available for consumer PCs until sometime in 2018.

-----------

Lord GabeN welcomes you!!

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Dam man, that seems like a lot of coin.  Are you building a pilot simulator lol?  That would be so fun, if I ever won the lottery I'd make a kickass gaming room complete with my own flight simulator thingamajig.

Thanks guys!! And the reason why my budget is so high is because this will also be a work computer for rendering and editing videos. I'll post it when it's done!! 

Edited by Xbox
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Xbox said:

Thanks guys!! And the reason why my budget is so high is because this will also be a work computer for rendering and editing videos. I'll post it when it's done!! 

If you aren't going to get the GTX 20 series card in 2-3 months, then get the 1080Ti video card.  Both the 1080Ti and upcoming 20 series are Pascal based architecture and pretty heavy duty.