The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

So I bought "Go Go Nippon!" during the anime Steam sale...Yeah, I also wonder what I'm even doing with my life

Basically, you're a foreigner around age 20 who's staying over in Japan for a week, and you're crashing with Makoto and Akira, two online friends who happen to be brothers near your age . When you're finally greeted at the airport, it turns out that they're two cute sisters instead.

Keep in mind that the setup for this game sounds ridiculous, a week to build a budding romance with Makoto or Akira seems way too short, it's got some run-of-the-mill rom-com anime tropes (a few of which are NSFW) and the protagonist makes me cringe every 10-15 minutes with his weaboo dialogue.

However, this game was way more informative about Japan that I was expecting. For every location, there are lots of interesting facts and stories about the culture and day-to-day life, plenty of which I'll find useful when I finally take a vacation to Japan. Also, you can direct the story by choosing where you want to explore in Japan at the start of each day, as each girl will be your tour guide for specific locations. Decisions about what to do at each location will also affect your relationship with whichever girl you're with at the time. Finally, the story is pretty interesting thanks to Makoto and Akira being endearing characters with relatable struggles. I've only played through the game once with full focus on Akira so far, but I expect good things with a full Makoto focus and everything in-between.

Granted, this is my first time buying a dating sim, but it's a great purchase, although buying at a mild discount is recommended.

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm upgrading my computer (new CPU, MOBO,ram) I've decided on the Ryzen 5 1600 my question is would you get product replacement for 2 years on the CPU and ram? my current CPU and ram which is a gen 1 I5 lasted this long so I'm thinking its not really worth it. 

2 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

So I'm upgrading my computer (new CPU, MOBO,ram) I've decided on the Ryzen 5 1600 my question is would you get product replacement for 2 years on the CPU and ram? my current CPU and ram which is a gen 1 I5 lasted this long so I'm thinking its not really worth it.

Product replacement on anything chip (solid state) based is often a waste of money.  Be careful installing the CPU and RAM on your motherboard and keep your components cool with proper cooling and air circulation and they'll last a long time.  If you get a lemon, you'll know fairly quickly and it will still be covered under the store and/or manufacturer warranty that comes with the component.

If you're going to build a full system from scratch then there are certain things like an expensive 4k monitor that it isn't a bad idea to get a little extra coverage past the manufacturers warranty.

9 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Product replacement on anything chip (solid state) based is often a waste of money.  Be careful installing the CPU and RAM on your motherboard and keep your components cool with proper cooling and air circulation and they'll last a long time.  If you get a lemon, you'll know fairly quickly and it will still be covered under the store and/or manufacturer warranty that comes with the component.

If you're going to build a full system from scratch then there are certain things like an expensive 4k monitor that it isn't a bad idea to get a little extra coverage past the manufacturers warranty.

I wont be needing a 4k monitor anytime soon (unless my current one dies) my video card is only a GTX970 (and hopefully got life left) so its more of a 1080 setup. and all the other components ive been upgrading as things go ie. video card, SSD, power source, peripherals. 

6 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I wont be needing a 4k monitor anytime soon (unless my current one dies) my video card is only a GTX970 (and hopefully got life left) so its more of a 1080 setup. and all the other components ive been upgrading as things go ie. video card, SSD, power source, peripherals. 

The 970 is a good card for 1080p gaming.  It should give you at least a couple more years of usefulness as long as you have at least 4gb of memory on it which was standard with those.

12 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The 970 is a good card for 1080p gaming.  It should give you at least a couple more years of usefulness as long as you have at least 4gb of memory on it which was standard with those.

you mean 3.5 and .5 of lies

2 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

i thought it was all of the 970 cards i have the evga ssc 

It was an issue with all of the ones based completely off of the reference card.  Unfortunately EVGA was one.  Still a very good card though.

I got Forza Horizon 3 and the Hot Wheels pack off the Microsoft Store. That game looks lit.

I wanted a new game and I wanted to avoid steam since buying a game there full price is just asking to get burned lol.

Edited by Xbox

21 hours ago, Xbox said:

I got Forza Horizon 3 and the Hot Wheels pack off the Microsoft Store. That game looks lit.

I wanted a new game and I wanted to avoid steam since buying a game there full price is just asking to get burned lol.

I like to keep an eye on Green Man Gaming, and Humble Bundles. The monthly bundles are usually great!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

I like to keep an eye on Green Man Gaming, and Humble Bundles. The monthly bundles are usually great!

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I'll keep an eye on both of them. There's a few games I'm still eyeing, mainly Dark Souls 3 and Fallout 4.

Edited by Xbox
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Just bought my first gaming PC. Didn't pay much for it as I don't have the money for a good one right now, but it has an NVIDIA GTX 750Ti and a Core i5 processor so it should be able to run most stuff.

As long as it runs Rust / Arma etc. I don't really care.

This video is over 2 years old and the games since then have gotten even better!  Welcome to the PC Master Race!

• Upvote 1