The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

On 6/4/2017 at 6:20 PM, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Anyone played Squad?

I have it but have only played a few times due to time. I also did not have a mic and there needs to be a lot of communication. I think I will get into it down the road. I enjoyed Americas Army for a while.

I noticed you are playing Arma so I was going to suggest squad to you. Seems to be a simpler version of Arma. Like a cross between Arma and Battlefield.

On 6/6/2017 at 1:24 PM, Xbox said:

The PS4 version for me will depend on exclusives although if Scorpio is 60fps I won't even consider PS4. Frame rate is very important in an fps. The cartoony nature doesn't mean anything, I couldn't imagine Overwatch in 30fps.

Pretty cool experiences you've had though!

Oh for sure, if I had to choose I'd go with the better resolution...  however it'll be 30fps across the board.  They're just hopeful on 4k resolution on the Scorpio.  

Overwatch has incredibly simple textures and small maps (by comparison), so they can squeeze 60fps out of it.  It's really too bad that the Playstation 4's CPU is so outdated.

On 6/6/2017 at 7:38 PM, StealthNuck said:

I initially was but...

Delayed release, no dedicated servers, 4v4. I have a feeling it's more of a test to gauge interest than a complete product. 

If it wasn't a complete product, they probably would've rushed it through to match the release dates for the other two.  

4vs4 is to improve matchmaking across the board.  

If you are interested in the difference between Bungie's networking and dedicated servers, it's all Explained Here.  Bungie just refuses to call it dedicated servers because they have their own network structure that works better for PVE then traditional dedicated servers, however doesn't punish people enough in PvP.  

In any case, I'm still on the fence about getting it for PC because of the delay, might just go with PS4.

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Oh for sure, if I had to choose I'd go with the better resolution...  however it'll be 30fps across the board.  They're just hopeful on 4k resolution on the Scorpio.  

Overwatch has incredibly simple textures and small maps (by comparison), so they can squeeze 60fps out of it.  It's really too bad that the Playstation 4's CPU is so outdated.

Yeah I saw that with the One X, at least now I don't have to get one. Apparently this is a demanding game but my GPU will be able to do 4k 60fps according to nvidia so I'm going to wait for the PC version for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Anyone play the Truck Simulator games?  Got an email saying American Truck one is on sale for $8.  I think I may try it out if it's that cheap.

I've played American a bit, it's great to chill out for a while. Eventually it feels a bit too much like work. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TimberWolf said:

Just rejoined the PC master race,ghot my first new rig in a decade.

Except I had it delivered to my office and I get to spend the next four hours staring at it instead of having some fun...

With all of the console peasants migrating to the PC, they brought their willingness to be screwed by gaming companies right along with them. 

Micro-transactions which used to only be just a free-to-play phenomenon are now part of a rising number of PC triple-a games that are coming out. 

Edited by SabreFan1

Any cheap indie games worth getting on the Steam sale? I'm kinda tired of the same old Triple A open world stuff.

I'm open to anything besides puzzle games really.

Edited by Guest

On 11/21/2017 at 2:19 PM, SabreFan1 said:

With all of the console peasants migrating to the PC, they brought their willingness to be screwed by gaming companies right along with them. 

Micro-transactions which used to only be just a free-to-play phenomenon are now part of a rising number of PC triple-a games that are coming out. 

Any game that involves micro-transactions for anything other than pure cosmetics won't get a single dime of my money.  I"ll still play it though.^_^

Edited by King Heffy

On 11/21/2017 at 3:48 PM, TimberWolf said:

Except I had it delivered to my office and I get to spend the next four hours staring at it instead of having some fun...

Enjoying your new rig?  Don't forget the Black Friday and Cyber Monday Steam sales.  Give GoG.com a little love too; especially if you like older games.

11 hours ago, Incursio said:

Any cheap indie games worth getting on the Steam sale? I'm kinda tired of the same old Triple A open world stuff.

I'm open to anything besides puzzle games really.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/steam-black-friday-2017-deals-and-sales-early-pc-g/1100-6455154/

They have a few non-mainstream games listed in that article.

*edit* Although to be fair and more accurate, since I'm not as up to date on games as I once was years ago, there are some games listed there that I don't recognize the names of.  They could just be crappy ports from consoles.

Edited by SabreFan1

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Enjoying your new rig?  Don't forget the Black Friday and Cyber Monday Steam sales.  Give GoG.com a little love too; especially if you like older games.

Plan to go ape on steam. Vanilla Skyrim so I can mod it too the nuts, and Fallout New Vegas for the same. May look into Oblivion as well. I don't know much about what GoG is, though. What's the story there? A steam alternative?

I hooked it up to my HDTV and I'm blown away. My frames per second on GTA5 for example are staggering, I can't make the performance drop. Playing Warcraft (extremely casually) on max settings and it runs as smooth as if I drop to minimum. 

2 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Plan to go ape on steam. Vanilla Skyrim so I can mod it too the nuts, and Fallout New Vegas for the same. May look into Oblivion as well. I don't know much about what GoG is, though. What's the story there? A steam alternative?

I hooked it up to my HDTV and I'm blown away. My frames per second on GTA5 for example are staggering, I can't make the performance drop. Playing Warcraft (extremely casually) on max settings and it runs as smooth as if I drop to minimum.

Glad that you're enjoying your new machine.  The high-res textures from modders are better than the textures that the creators of Skyrim put out.  Of course, you should also patch in the adult-only patches as well. ::D

GoG is a popular site that offers some new and many old DRM-free games.  Some of the games from years ago-decades have great gameplay.

On 11/21/2017 at 1:48 PM, TimberWolf said:

Just built a descent rig for VR gaming myself mostly sim racing. These new VR games are incredible !  Went VR because Oculus was only 550cdn. A  triple monitor setup to handle the FPS I needed would be 3k easy lol  I can never go back to racing on a regular screen I am ruined for life : D

• Upvote 1