The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

On 3/1/2019 at 4:38 PM, Tre Mac said:

I need a new graphic card to play some higher end games.  They're not hard to install right?  Any suggestions?

GeForce GTX 1070Ti https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1070-ti/ Great balance of cost + performance. Stay away from the RTX series though.

If you're looking for AMD I got nothing, I don't know anything or have experience with any of their products.

Edited by Xbox

5 hours ago, Xbox said:

GeForce GTX 1070Ti https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1070-ti/ Great balance of cost + performance. Stay away from the RTX series though.

If you're looking for AMD I got nothing, I don't know anything or have experience with any of their products.

I have the 1060 3gb. Runs high/ultra at 60fps. my monitor is 75hz. Really depends on what you're willing to spend and if you want 4k and splurge on a nice monitor.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shop/geforce/?page=1&limit=9&locale=en-us&search=1060 3gb

The 1060 is a third the price

Edited by Baer.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:45 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Depending on your system it might be better to go with a whole new computer. Eventually the processor and etc are going to struggle

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:58 AM, Xbox said:

I believe it's a I7 with quite a bit of Ram still.  It was once a beast of a machine and I just need a better card to play some new games.  I will check that card out, thanks.

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2019 at 7:19 PM, Baer. said:

I have the 1060 3gb. Runs high/ultra at 60fps. my monitor is 75hz. Really depends on what you're willing to spend and if you want 4k and splurge on a nice monitor.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shop/geforce/?page=1&limit=9&locale=en-us&search=1060 3gb

The 1060 is a third the price

Maybe for 1080p, but his setup is good for 1440p so I don't see why he'd cheap out on the GPU when his RAM and CPU are quality. Better to get a good new GPU to go with it and game in 1440p no problem.

I guess it depends on the resolution of his monitor. If it's only 1080p then the 1060 is fine.

Edited by Xbox

On 3/8/2019 at 11:58 AM, Xbox said:

4 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I believe it's a I7 with quite a bit of Ram still.  It was once a beast of a machine and I just need a better card to play some new games.  I will check that card out, thanks.

I would tell you the complete opposite of what he said the RTX 2060 is a better card then the GTX 1070ti and its cheaper. the Ray tracing is a feature that is pointless right now but overall the card is still better.

that is unless you can get a 1070ti for cheaper then a 2060 because they are very similar spec wise. 

depending on how old your system is you might bottleneck at the CPU so a GTX 1060 6gig might be something to look at. 

Edited by CanuckinEdm

53 minutes ago, Violator said:

It's not exclusive to the Epic store, it's coming on Windows store as well. Hope it's play anywhere with Xbox.

Pretty crappy of these publishers to have Steam pages created and pull it from Steam. Maybe 1/10 people will buy the game compared to if it was on Steam. Guess I'll have to start pirating games and adding them to Steam myself.

Edited by Xbox

• 1 month later...

Anybody heard anything about Epic Games taking a lot of franchises away from the Steam store to try to boost their own new platform? They have an exclusive deal on Borderlands 3 for the first six months of it's release and just recently purchased Rocket League, which they will likely eventually be removing from the Steam store as well eventually.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Anybody heard anything about Epic Games taking a lot of franchises away from the Steam store to try to boost their own new platform? They have an exclusive deal on Borderlands 3 for the first six months of it's release and just recently purchased Rocket League, which they will likely eventually be removing from the Steam store as well eventually.

It's becoming an epidemic on PC. They just stole the 5th most played game off of Steam. I'm not going to download the Epic launcher or give them a penny of my money for multiple reasons which I'm sure you're aware of. When they suddenly pulled Metro Exodus off of Steam with no warning it was such a dick move.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:51 AM, -AJ- said:

On 5/2/2019 at 12:51 PM, Xbox said:

It's becoming an epidemic on PC. They just stole the 5th most played game off of Steam. I'm not going to download the Epic launcher or give them a penny of my money for multiple reasons which I'm sure you're aware of. When they suddenly pulled Metro Exodus off of Steam with no warning it was such a dick move.

You're going to see more devs hopping over to Epic.  They only take 12% of the revenue compared to more than double that on Steam.  If I were a dev, I'd do the same thing.

That said, the whole Metro situation was pretty effed up...

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

You're going to see more devs hopping over to Epic.  They only take 12% of the revenue compared to more than double that on Steam.  If I were a dev, I'd do the same thing.

Yeah it's unfortunate, but there are other things to factor as well such as sales quantities and PR. There's no doubt they'll sell less on Epic (probably not enough less to make the difference between Steam's percentage though) and from what I've seen, the games moving to Epic have been a pretty big PR disaster. If they can handle the situation adeptly it might be transversable, but the effect of bad PR can be hard to measure and obviously pretty devastating.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Pretty lame all the games I was looking forward to getting on PC I'll be getting on console now instead. I understand the devs getting more revenue (88%>75%), but a lot more people are willing to buy off of Steam than Epic. So in order to make the difference in lost sales Epic just throws money at devs to get them exclusive on their platform which has numerous issues including security. That's what my problem with it is. I also don't know what it's going to take for Gaben to just match the revenue share.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah it's unfortunate, but there are other things to factor as well such as sales quantities and PR. There's no doubt they'll sell less on Epic (probably not enough less to make the difference between Steam's percentage though) and from what I've seen, the games moving to Epic have been a pretty big PR disaster. If they can handle the situation adeptly it might be transversable, but the effect of bad PR can be hard to measure and obviously pretty devastating.

I think some are taking a hit to the bottom line now in the hopes of forcing Steam to lower it's own percentage so they can go back to simultaneous releases.  It'll be up to the gamers if it will work or not.  Personally I hope it works because games are so expensive for these devs to make these days that developers are afraid to make anything other than shooters they can cram micro-transactions into.

I have no loyalty towards one company over another.  I'm just interested in the games that are and aren't being made.