The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Certainly! You can fire V2 type rockets around the map once '45 rolls around and the development of basic jet engines. I smoked both Stalingrad and Moscow when I was pushing in from the east, totally obliterated the infrastructure in two of their most heavily dense states.

Sweet!  Then you did exactly what the US generals wanted to do in real life after WW2.  Nuke Russia to within an inch of it's life.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:17 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

:lol:

20180428195112_1.jpg

That looks like a game that I might enjoy.  I would definitely choose that dude in the center with the huge pipe, he looks like the dictator type. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2018 at 10:55 AM, -AJ- said:

Somehow, I'm back to playing Skyrim again. I recently hit over 1000 combined hours on all platforms and game versions.

I always somehow manage to start playing Skyrim again ... le sigh .. 

• Cheers 1

On 4/23/2018 at 4:01 PM, Rush17 said:

fortnite is free. most of our kids play it. easy to play once you get the basics down. fun game in groups.

Oh my god. Not it is not. There is a difference between playing and then playing an actually doing something. You should be averaging 5 kills a game if you're good. That is really hard to do. The really good people can get 10+ on average. Fortnite is not an easy game to get kills in.

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2018 at 2:02 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

It varies. It calculates a score for every country when you quit the game, whoever has the highest score is the winner. Or the game ultimately at the end of 1950, I think, and calculates a score based on economy, military, countries/states/provinces you hold. It depends how you want to play it, I suppose. In the game there I could've quit after 1943 when the Soviets steamrolled Hitler, but I played on. When the peace negotiations came into play, they had far bigger influence because of their contribution to WW2 and basically hijacked Europe installing puppet states. The Comintern was literally 20 countries strong including most of Europe. It's about 1950 in my game now, I've toppled Stalin, they've suffered over 20 million military casualties. 

It's really a crazy game. You can also do the unhistorical version and become a fascist United States if you want and alliance with Hitler or form your own faction. But of course if it's the unhistorical version, democracy might take over in Germany, or the communists take hold. 

Hey TR... I've played HOI 2 for years now, and toyed with the idea of HOI 4.  Have you played HOI 2, and if so, what are the pros and cons comparing to HOI 4?  HOI 2 has been fun, but there are some significant flaws, and since the game is so old, no one will fix them.  I also had to reinstall windows recently, so of course that meant reinstalling HOI2.  After reinstalling the patches, it's still not the same and some old glitches have returned.  I'm hoping for a good grand strategy WWII game to feed that need.

On 6/1/2018 at 5:34 PM, Kragar said:

Hey TR... I've played HOI 2 for years now, and toyed with the idea of HOI 4.  Have you played HOI 2, and if so, what are the pros and cons comparing to HOI 4?  HOI 2 has been fun, but there are some significant flaws, and since the game is so old, no one will fix them.  I also had to reinstall windows recently, so of course that meant reinstalling HOI2.  After reinstalling the patches, it's still not the same and some old glitches have returned.  I'm hoping for a good grand strategy WWII game to feed that need.

I don't know as I've never played #2, but my coworker suggested it to me and now I'm hooked. It's like video game crack. 

6 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I don't know as I've never played #2, but my coworker suggested it to me and now I'm hooked. It's like video game crack. 

Oh yeah, these long games can get addicting.  I can sit and play HOI2 for 6-8 hours at a time easily if the wife doesn't say anything.  "Just a little longer, I'll be right down."  Same goes for Sid Meier's Civ games (3, 4, and 5... haven't tried 6 yet... might need an PC upgrade)

Good thing I don't like things like WOW.  I'd likely be single now.

5 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Oh yeah, these long games can get addicting.  I can sit and play HOI2 for 6-8 hours at a time easily if the wife doesn't say anything.  "Just a little longer, I'll be right down."  Same goes for Sid Meier's Civ games (3, 4, and 5... haven't tried 6 yet... might need an PC upgrade)

Good thing I don't like things like WOW.  I'd likely be single now.

Wow isn't bad if you just roll 1 character.

Divinity original sin 2 is amazing.

• 2 months later...

I re-installed BF1 and tried to play it...Did not find it enjoyable, at all.

I only ever used to play FPS (CS series, BF, PUBG) and I am not getting any enjoyment out of those. I like the idea of a survival type game like PUBG, but maybe not as much battle royale. Anybody play any fun survival games that you can play alone and not get bored after 5 mins? 

Maybe even a simulator game...I should just play Farm Simulator or something haha.

12 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

God

Anyone who thinks pushing updates out for your operating system or otherwise without your consent should be banished to hell. The amount of times I've seen fresh updates break things is unreal. Now one of my games is busted and they don't let you play without applying the update.

Does your game ban all Windows 7 users?  If not, buy a cheap 128GB SSD, install Win 7 and your game on it.  The downside is having to reboot your computer every time you want to play it.

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Does your game ban all Windows 7 users?  If not, buy a cheap 128GB SSD, install Win 7 and your game on it.  The downside is having to reboot your computer every time you want to play it.

I figured it out but I wasted too much time instead of playing. Still got a few hours but not the most ideal night of gaming. I only run 8 mods for my game and one of those was affecting the new, huge patch released by developers which does involve a graphics overhaul. Spent a couple hours disabling/re-enabling mods, trying to play the game with the previous patch, rolled back Windows 10 1803 to 1709 as hinted at by other players changing their Win 10 version. 

Software companies should never ever force an update out on its customers without their approval for reasons like this. I always let other people be the guinea pig and let patches break their games, their systems. Microsoft is guilty of this all the time. When those Intel Spectre/Meltdown processor coding flaws were all the rage, manufacturers released quick patches to account for this and of course naturally a lot of peoples computers and servers $&!# the bed because they weren't really tested in production. But not me - I sat back for a month and watched the chaos ensue.