The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I figured it out but I wasted too much time instead of playing. Still got a few hours but not the most ideal night of gaming. I only run 8 mods for my game and one of those was affecting the new, huge patch released by developers which does involve a graphics overhaul. Spent a couple hours disabling/re-enabling mods, trying to play the game with the previous patch, rolled back Windows 10 1803 to 1709 as hinted at by other players changing their Win 10 version. 

Software companies should never ever force an update out on its customers without their approval for reasons like this. I always let other people be the guinea pig and let patches break their games, their systems. Microsoft is guilty of this all the time. When those Intel Spectre/Meltdown processor coding flaws were all the rage, manufacturers released quick patches to account for this and of course naturally a lot of peoples computers and servers $&!# the bed because they weren't really tested in production. But not me - I sat back for a month and watched the chaos ensue. 

That's why Microsoft gave Windows 10 away for free for so long.  They were able to sneak in a lot of crap like automatic mandatory updates that people normally wouldn't have wanted.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

That's why Microsoft gave Windows 10 away for free for so long.  They were able to sneak in a lot of crap like automatic mandatory updates that people normally wouldn't have wanted.

yeah. Bloatware. Spyware. You can see your computer always connected to some Microsoft server for telemetry purposes

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

yeah. Bloatware. Spyware. You can see your computer always connected to some Microsoft server for telemetry purposes

Guess which version of Windows I mainly use?  Windows 7. B)

I have an Academic version of Win 10 on a separate bootable hard drive that I was able to buy from/through a student in my family that is less intrusive.  I use that only when I'm running a program that requires or runs better on Win 10.

9 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Guess which version of Windows I mainly use?  Windows 7. B)

I have an Academic version of Win 10 on a separate bootable hard drive that I was able to buy from/through a student in my family that is less intrusive.  I use that only when I'm running a program that requires or runs better on Win 10.

Eventually Windows 7 will be phased out for gaming too. It is end of life next year and will only be supported in a limited fashion by M$. It's like trying to run games nowadays on XP. Unless it's Age of Empires, in most cases you will have a problem. 

6 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Eventually Windows 7 will be phased out for gaming too. It is end of life next year and will only be supported in a limited fashion by M$. It's like trying to run games nowadays on XP. Unless it's Age of Empires, in most cases you will have a problem. 

Yep.  Which is why I got my hands on an academic version of Win 10.  I stuck it on a fast SSD and if I play a game or use a program that needs or runs better on Win 10 then I can quickly restart and boot into it.

Eventually I'm going to go all Windows 10, but I'm avoiding it for as long as possible.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Yep.  Which is why I got my hands on an academic version of Win 10.  I stuck it on a fast SSD and if I play a game or use a program that needs or runs better on Win 10 then I can quickly restart and boot into it.

Eventually I'm going to go all Windows 10, but I'm avoiding it for as long as possible.

How is it less intrusive?

This is a game I play for a couple weeks every few months.

New content/league/ladder four times a year.

Its grown massively from an indie game to a mainstream #1 game in the ARPG genre.

Absolutely LOVE THIS GAME.

100% FREE.  Pay to look cool.  Pay to convenience (stash stuff).

New league Aug 31.  "Delve".  An endless dungeon system.

Edited by xereau

Interesting that my stupid computer updated itself to 1803, then my game complained suddenly that there was a mod mismatch which caused it to CTD. I rolled back to 1709, the mismatch was gone, and my game played fine. It also rendered my video card driver as unusable and I had to reinstall that too. My computer automatically applied 1803 before and neither of these things happened. 

While in IT, I'll never really know why software does these things. Perhaps more of a software developer question. Windows and Steam files are totally unrelated. Why the hell are they conflicting? And why the hell does my video driver break one install but not the other? I've heard over the years Microsoft's development department has gone downhill from where it used to be. Some days I find it difficult to contest that assertion. 

• 4 months later...

I wanted to make fun of this, but it is kinda neat.....

Civilization 6 expansion adds Canada and all things Canadian

https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/14/18141469/civilization-6-gathering-storm-canada

Canada is bringing good government, courteous and neighbourly behaviour, and ice hockey to Civilization 6 with Wilfrid Laurier, the nation’s seventh prime minister and one of its greatest statesmen, as a playable leader.

Laurier and eight other historical figures are on the way in Civ 6’s Gathering Storm expansion coming soon. He has the “Last Best West” leader ability, which means farms may be built on tundra and civil engineering may be built on hilly tundra. Laurier also gets a discount on buying snow and tundra tiles, and double the extraction from any consumable resource on those tiles.

Yes, yes, that’s all well and good, but we need something really Canadian to distinguish this, right? That’s where the country’s unique improvement comes in: the ice hockey rink. It provides culture, amenities and appeal, and more of all three based on adjacent tiles. This works well when the player unlocks Flight in Technologies (gaining Tourism) and Professional Sports in Civics (adding Production and Food).

And if that weren’t Canadian enough, the country gets a unique unit — the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (light cavalry), of course. Canada is also well-suited to handle diplomatic emergencies and, unlike in Argo, will actually get credit for doing so. “As Canada, you can take advantage of the icy landscape that most other civilizations will ignore,” the narrator helpfully reminds. Canada! Desirably undesirable! What an economic development slogan.

Gathering Storm launches for Civilization 6 on Feb. 14, 2019, for Windows PC.

Edited by SabreFan1

• 1 month later...

Not sure if any of you have seen, but Metro: Exodus is due to launch imminently and was pulled off of Steam in favour of Epic. I'm not going to go off because we all know how bad that platform is. No reviews, must be online, security issues ect. Huge dick move from Deep Silver doing that just before the game launches. People who pre-ordered on Steam still get it and it'll be fully supported otherwise you have to wait until 2020. I like supporting devs so I never pirate games but I am strongly considering it here and then adding it to steam myself.

2 hours ago, Xbox said:

Not sure if any of you have seen, but Metro: Exodus is due to launch imminently and was pulled off of Steam in favour of Epic. I'm not going to go off because we all know how bad that platform is. No reviews, must be online, security issues ect. Huge dick move from Deep Silver doing that just before the game launches. People who pre-ordered on Steam still get it and it'll be fully supported otherwise you have to wait until 2020. I like supporting devs so I never pirate games but I am strongly considering it here and then adding it to steam myself.

They did it originally because steam takes a huge bite out of sales.

3 minutes ago, Violator said:

They did it originally because steam takes a huge bite out of sales.

I get that, but the way they did it was bulls***. It was already on steam available for pre-orders and they took it off last minute and went to Epic. It would have been different if they just did it from the beginning. I'll either wait until 2020 or download it another way.

Also I should point out they will probably be losing money off of this. A lot of people are not happy.

Edited by Xbox

1 minute ago, Xbox said:

I get that, but the way they did it was bulls***. It was already on steam available for pre-orders and they took it off last minute and went to Epic. It would have been different if they just did it from the beginning. I'll either wait until 2020 or download it another way.

Also I should point out they will probably be losing money off of this. A lot of people are not happy.

Still on consoles one positive of it