The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll/ Discussion] Nylander vs. Ehlers; only 2 options for Canucks at #6

canucks155

Who should the Canucks draft at #6  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know this topic has been beat to death, brought back to life and beat to death again, but I thought I'd share who the Canucks should draft. The way I see it, the Canucks have 2 options at the #6 spot: Nylander or Ehlers. The other guys are all great players as well, but it's too high to take them at #6 (Virtanen, Fleury, Perlini, Fiala, Kapanen), or they don't fit the bill of a fast, skilled team (Ritchie), like Benning said. Since we will be using the 6th and 36th picks in the draft, I say we pick 1 of these guys. Here’s a breakdown of each:

William Nylander

Pros:

-incredibly skilled in puck handling

-great passer

-quick

-genes of former NHLer

-great vision

-high hockey IQ

-accurate shot w/ good release

-ripped it up at the U18’s

-plays in harder league w/ grown men

Cons:

-defensive game is bad

-inconsistent

-too small

-“greedy”, holds onto puck too long/ doesn’t use teammates enough

-tries to do too much at times

-needs to add velocity to shot

-unimpressive stats

Nikolaj Ehlers

Pros:

-speedy

-good hands

-hard, accurate, elite level shot

-great balance, hard to knock him off the puck

-good passer

-great vision

-not afraid to go to “dirty areas” an isn’t 1 dimensional in terms of where he goes on the ice

-high hockey IQ

-amazing stats (100+ points, +51, 1 goal away from 50 goals)

-can be a playmaker or a sniper

-unselfish

Cons:

-inflated stats due to playing in Q and playing w/ Drouin

-too small

-defense needs work

MY CHOICE: Ehlers. Less of a risky pick than Nylander, w/ the same upside. I think he can put up 60+ every season as long as he puts on some muscle since he’s 6’0. Thoughts?

I'd take Ehlers.

Less puck hogs on this team please. Good teams distribute the puck consistently and often. I'd have our team be at fault for overpassing rather than taking 50 crest shots a game. Quality over quantity, look at what players like Zuccarello can do for a team.

Pro Comparisons for these 2?

My opinion:

Ehlers low end (if he doesn't bust) - Carl Hagelin type with a bit more natural offensive talent

Ehlers high end - Nyquist type player of player style wise, with Gaborik like upside (in his prime/peak)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nylander low end (if he doesn't bust) - Current Ales Hemsky

Nylander high end - Claude Giroux

My opinion:

Ehlers low end (if he doesn't bust) - Carl Hagelin with maybe a bit more natural offensive ability

Ehlers high end - Nyquist type player of player style wise, with Gaborik like upside (in his prime/peak)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nylander low end (if he doesn't bust) - Current Ales Hemsky

Nylander high end - Claude Giroux

The only difference between the old Hemsky and the current one is that the old one would go around the entire opposing team but mess up at the end and doesn't score. The current Hemsky just doesn't score.

Archived