The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Feb. 24, 2015) The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Xbox

Still trying to force myself to finish the Witcher 1, lol. It's a high quality game, intricately detailed, but such a slog to try and finish. Though I still know everything about it, I don't feel like I can skip it. One day I will finish it.

Witcher 2 was a far superior game either way. Though I do still have to play through it all for myself, seeing with as I mentioned before I haven't gotten through the first game.

Will wait until I finally get through the predecessors before I finally jump on the Witcher 3. but damn does it look good.

I have far too much respect for the developers at CD Projekt Red. They put in the time and detail to make sure a game offers all it can, and they don't lie about what it has to offer. That, plus they don't treat their customers like idiots.

I was hoping these guys would have some news as to their other project in Cyberpunk 2077, but I guess that's a very distant ways away.

I have to do another playthrough of both games myself.

I am looking forward to playing Witcher 2 with a 770. My old 560 ti SLI rig did not like that game at all.

My laptop hates running Witcher 2, which is annoying seeing as it can handle every game from 2011-2014 on at least high settings. It asks for too much. Looks really good when you run it properly though.

The game was always playable on PC with a controller, before they ever ported it to 360.

I beat it with a keyboard, but it was a pain to learn the timing etc. Was fine after that though.

I do not look forward to learning it all over again so I may just buy a dedicated pc controller.

I've never played either of the Witcher games, but this 3rd one looks like a day 1 buy for me. The game looks amazing.

I'll have to look into grabbing the other ones on PC I guess. They aren't for PS3, are they?

They are not available for the PS3. Witcher 2 is available on the 360, but it's far better on the PC.

You should be able to get the first and second packaged together for under $10 during the Summer Sale on Steam or during random sales on GOG.

I've never played either of the Witcher games, but this 3rd one looks like a day 1 buy for me. The game looks amazing.

I'll have to look into grabbing the other ones on PC I guess. They aren't for PS3, are they?

Nope. Sorry for my misleading post because I assumed it was since TW3 is on PS4. They didnt make it for PS3 because of the complicated cell processor they had (like Left 4 Dead) vs. Easy porting from PC.

I think I'm going to skip TW2 on 360 anyways and just start fresh with 3. I was absolutely mind blown with this game. I think Dragon Age looks bad ass too.

Nope. Sorry for my misleading post because I assumed it was since TW3 is on PS4. They didnt make it for PS3 because of the complicated cell processor they had (like Left 4 Dead) vs. Easy porting from PC.

I think I'm going to skip TW2 on 360 anyways and just start fresh with 3. I was absolutely mind blown with this game. I think Dragon Age looks bad ass too.

You should check out Dragon Age Origins. I'd go so far as to call it one of my favourite games of all time. It's one of those rare-ish games like The Witcher 1 and 2, that actually gives you a series of quests, and a bunch of events, and then bothers to actually shape and evolve the world around the choices that you make.

Dragon Age Origins gives you a text crawl telling you all the differences you made to the world after you save it, but in this regard, the Witcher 2 is even better. There are 2 entirely different branches of the game depending on who you helped at the end of the first act. There are something like 16 different fully integrated endings, and smaller changes based on the stuff you did.

Both Witcher 2 and Dragon Age Origins are definitely worth playing. Dragon Age Origins is probably the more user friendly game with the old school combat system. And the Witcher 2 is a grittier action game. The customization and ability to choose your character in Dragon age Origins (I don't like Geralt) makes me give it an edge.

Dragon Age 2 sucks nuts though.

You should check out Dragon Age Origins. I'd go so far as to call it one of my favourite games of all time. It's one of those rare-ish games like The Witcher 1 and 2, that actually gives you a series of quests, and a bunch of events, and then bothers to actually shape and evolve the world around the choices that you make.

Dragon Age Origins gives you a text crawl telling you all the differences you made to the world after you save it, but in this regard, the Witcher 2 is even better. There are 2 entirely different branches of the game depending on who you helped at the end of the first act. There are something like 16 different fully integrated endings, and smaller changes based on the stuff you did.

Both Witcher 2 and Dragon Age Origins are definitely worth playing. Dragon Age Origins is probably the more user friendly game with the old school combat system. And the Witcher 2 is a grittier action game. The customization and ability to choose your character in Dragon age Origins (I don't like Geralt) makes me give it an edge.

Dragon Age 2 sucks nuts though.

Awesome I shall check it out! The only game I've played where choices affect you is Fallout: NV. That's probably why it was one of my favourite games of all time.

Awesome I shall check it out! The only game I've played where choices affect you is Fallout: NV. That's probably why it was one of my favourite games of all time.

I like when games do it properly, but it's rare. A lot of times games will simply fake that they do to look good. Or pretend to do so, and claim afterwards that they wanted you to feel like you have control, but took it away so you sit and watch helplessly as what you didn't want happens, as if it was added impact.

Or some other Bullshit. It's all complete garbage. I hate those types of games. Don't need games to be lazy, or manipulative, or both.

If you like Fallout NV, but haven't played Fallout 3, then go play Fallout 3. It's the same game engine, just a different story. You control events on what's probably a lot more personal level, rather than ultimately deciding the fate of a war like in Fallout NV. It had a pretty shitty ending, but the people at Bethesda admitted it sucked/was a mistake, and then fixed it (but I obviously can't go into detail without spoilers). If you have the complete edition of the game, one of the DLCs works into the main story's ending and alters it.

But just to speak about these games and why I love them. I know it makes for wonkier narratives when you don't let a storyteller play things out the way they directly intended, but as a gamer, forging your own path is about as interactive as a game can be. The idea of being able to control your fate with the choices you make is the most attractive thing you can sell to me in a game.

I don't want to sound all biblically philosophical here, but the idea of feeling like you took the "good" action only exists if there was an "evil" option you could have taken at the same point (this applies more to fallout than anything). And I like the idea of playing a game, and searching for the path that leads to the best future I could have (a la Witcher, and Dragon Age Origins)

And it all only works if it leads to something at the end of everything (which is why I hate games that simply fake choices)

Also I like the idea of being free to be a destructive jackass if I so wish, lol.

Yeah I beat Fallout 3 completely as well lol. Great game, but I find NV takes the karma thing to a whole new level with the Legion/NCR thing. Both games are great but New Vegas was fantastic. I like the contrast in the missions.

NCR Mission - find the evil sniper and kill him before he shoots the president (which is totally up to you if you want to save the president, which shifts the whole game)

Legion - Blend in with the NCR and kill the president.

That's the type of thing that separates F3 from NV

I'd almost say Fallout NV was perfect besides a few bugs left, but the fact that the NCR is a lot more involved than the Legion is sucks. There's so many more NCR bases then Legion camps.

I love the narrative part too. Just the way how every little thing shapes New Vegas is impressive and it makes you wanna replay it from all angels. I have a save file from Level 16 right before you have to choose a faction at the Boomer base in Nellis.

Yeah I beat Fallout 3 completely as well lol. Great game, but I find NV takes the karma thing to a whole new level with the Legion/NCR thing. Both games are great but New Vegas was fantastic. I like the contrast in the missions.

NCR Mission - find the evil sniper and kill him before he shoots the president (which is totally up to you if you want to save the president, which shifts the whole game)

Legion - Blend in with the NCR and kill the president.

That's the type of thing that separates F3 from NV

I'd almost say Fallout NV was perfect besides a few bugs left, but the fact that the NCR is a lot more involved than the Legion is sucks. There's so many more NCR bases then Legion camps.

I love the narrative part too. Just the way how every little thing shapes New Vegas is impressive and it makes you wanna replay it from all angels. I have a save file from Level 16 right before you have to choose a faction at the Boomer base in Nellis.

When I played the game, I headed south to Primm first. Then continued south until hit that NCR base, and then cut right. I ended up at the town Nipton.

Now I read the story "The Lottery", when I was a kid, and it's one of those incredibly shocking things that stuck with me as I grew up. The moral behind that story is not present in this game's subplot, but it's an obvious influence, with winning=death, and being for the greater good, etc.

So when I walked into Nipton, heard that about their lottery, and their massacre, seeing a burnt down town, and bunch of Jesus-y crucifictions down the road, I was not exactly kind to the Legion, who did it. When that Vulpes guy and his thugs walked away and laughed when I said I was going to do something about it, I shot his head off, lol.

After that, the Legion adopted a strong "shoot first" policy against me, and I continued to shoot back, lol. Not like I would have joined them either way though, on account of the massacres and the slaves and what have you.

Though after you deal with Matthew Perry on the strip, they come back and offer to forgive all you've done if you talk to Caesar. All they did though was lead me directly to him, and I punched his head off as well.

Good times with that game. Good times. Lots of Masochistic stuff, but it hits hard and well. Just uncovering the story behind Vault 11 is chilling enough.

But that's enough about Fallout, because this thread is about the Witcher.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived