The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

$9 million worth of drugs seized in record drug bust

http://globalnews.ca/news/1387751/record-drug-seizure-in-alberta/

WATCH: Authorities put on a show and tell from their record drug bust

*Video can be watched through link provided*

EDMONTON The Alberta Law Enforcement Response Team has made one of the largest drug seizures in Western Canadas history.

Nearly $9-million worth of marijuana, hashish, and heroin were seized after a number of people were arrested in the Edmonton area.

The drug seizure includes:

- 292 kilograms of marijuana, with an estimated street value of $2.9 million

- 14.1 kilograms of heroin, with an estimated street value of $5.64 million

- Six kilograms of hashish, with an estimated street value of $150,000

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?size=298&quality=80&src=http%3A%2F%2Fstorage.calgarysun.com%2Fv1%2Fsuns-prod-images%2F1297570807650_ORIGINAL.jpg%3Fquality%3D80

On June 4, three Edmonton men were arrested at a west Edmonton storage facility and 95 kilograms of marijuana and six kilograms of hash were seized.

Two men were arrested on the same day at the Canada Border Services Agencys commercial facility at the Edmonton International Airport. The two men were driving a semi-tractor trailer. One hundred ninety-seven kilograms of marijuana was found inside the trailer, and 14 bricks of heroin were discovered in a hidden storage compartment underneath the trailer.

You either go hard or go home...these guys go home now lol. Crazy bust, those guys were probably living it and few of the guys being 24 years old, dangerously impressive at that age.

Anyone know what the police do with the drugs+money anyways? They just stash it away or something?..

I doubt that the drivers owned the cargo (if I had tens of millions in drugs, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be driving it across the border,) but you never know I guess.

Confiscations are held as evidence I believe until sentencing and appeals are finished, and then drugs are either used for training purposes or disposed of, and cash and assets are auctioned off and the proceeds are either used to make restitutions or split between the federal government and the police department.

Think of the contribution to the tax base if that stuff was legal...

Pot should have been legal years ago, I know that and I don't even use the stuff.

Heroin too, believe it or not Heroin addicts are actually quite calm and normal as long as they have their drugs, they are able to work and have a semi-normal life. Heroin use problems come from trying to constantly obtain an illegal substance.

Coke, Crack and Speed?

No way to properly manage that stuff...

Makes people friggin' LOCO

http://globalnews.ca/news/1387751/record-drug-seizure-in-alberta/

You either go hard or go home...these guys go home now lol. Crazy bust, those guys were probably living it and few of the guys being 24 years old, dangerously impressive at that age.

Anyone know what the police do with the drugs+money anyways? They just stash it away or something?..

You call it impressive, I call it stupid. They are nothing but low level runners who carry the biggest risk of getting caught. I'm willing to bet there will be a price to pay down the line for them.

Think of the contribution to the tax base if that stuff was legal...

Pot should have been legal years ago, I know that and I don't even use the stuff.

Heroin too, believe it or not Heroin addicts are actually quite calm and normal as long as they have their drugs, they are able to work and have a semi-normal life. Heroin use problems come from trying to constantly obtain an illegal substance.

Coke, Crack and Speed?

No way to properly manage that stuff...

Makes people friggin' LOCO

LOL! Not all of them, and trust me, I speak from experience on this one. My sister threw her entire life away, and it wasn't from trying to constantly obtain the heroin. I lost a good friend some years ago from it as well. Most addicts are constantly trying to outdo the last high, very few can use it on a social level.

Quite impressive, got to admit.

At the end of the day, we can keep cracking down on all these grow-shows, smuggles, deals, etc. But nothings going to change in regards to stopping the underground market.

What do we spend? 2 billion a year on preventing the trade and yet nothing changes. In fact, it's probably easier to get than ever.

I know people don't like this idea, but imagine legalizing all drugs, making them dirt cheap. I'm pretty sure the trade would end instantly.

At the end of the day, we can keep cracking down on all these grow-shows, smuggles, deals, etc. But nothings going to change in regards to stopping the underground market.

What do we spend? 2 billion a year on preventing the trade and yet nothing changes. In fact, it's probably easier to get than ever.

I know people don't like this idea, but imagine legalizing all drugs, making them dirt cheap. I'm pretty sure the trade would end instantly.

I always thought it would be a fascinating social experiment to drop someone from another country into the VPD HQ at Main & Hastings and then tell them to walk out the door and cross the street.

if you legalized all drugs there would be a problem. All kids would want to try everything, and the addicting drugs would take hold on a TON of people. Im 25, and I know if all drugs are legal I would have wanted to try them all during my "party" stage. I have tried my fair share and enjoyed them for the most part. But that was years ago. I dont mess around with my life anymore... if all drugs were legal I would have potentially ruined my life before it even began with addiction. Thank god I never got addicted to anything I tried. Except ciggarettes. Cigarettes are the worst thing I ever started. I smoke every day and wish I didnt. I hate it.

In what world is 6kg of Hash worth 150 0000? Same with the marijuana for almost 3 mill. Police estimates are always at the extreme high end prices. That is over 4500 for a pound.

If it is going south of the border then it will be easily worth that.

if you legalized all drugs there would be a problem. All kids would want to try everything, and the addicting drugs would take hold on a TON of people. Im 25, and I know if all drugs are legal I would have wanted to try them all during my "party" stage. I have tried my fair share and enjoyed them for the most part. But that was years ago. I dont mess around with my life anymore... if all drugs were legal I would have potentially ruined my life before it even began with addiction. Thank god I never got addicted to anything I tried. Except ciggarettes. Cigarettes are the worst thing I ever started. I smoke every day and wish I didnt. I hate it.

Regarding the smoking: If you hate it, why don't you make a conscious effort to stop? I smoked for 2 years and stopped cold turkey, granted that isn't a long time. My dad's girlfriend smoked for 20 years (ballpark) and just stopped and hasn't had a problem for 5 months now.

----------------------------------------------

Anyway, back on topic.

I feel that is very debatable.

First of all, the idea it would cause lots of kids to try it doesn't make sense imo. We already have DARE programs implemented to let children know the harms of drugs and I feel further implementation in schools and homes would take place if it were legally accessible. As of now, kids lacking direction are going to try them anyway. I think they are more accessible to children now than ever before and they're coming from shady dealers!

Furthermore, I'm not advocating all of these legalized drugs be sold in gas stations and supermarkets like cigarettes, I think it should be available at specific government pharmacy's where it can be properly prescribed for essentially it's minimum value. Therefore, anyone wanting to purchase a prescription would have to come in to the pharmacy and register in the system. I feel that would be way safer for everyone involved. The government would have a file on who is using and occasionally the pharmacy could offer cheap rehab sessions to people frequently using. Overall, the substance would be clean, the users would be known and the habit would be regulated in a specific location. I feel it would be MUCH LESS likely kids could get to it, especially if there's an age limit.

Then if this system works:

- Less people would be using because it no longer has the "danger appeal" associated with it and anything illegal right now.

- The underground market would take a major hit that would probably cripple the entire market within a year (Meaning the gov't could stop spending $2B in tax payer money on something that isn't working).

- Less people would be in court for possession alone (Also meaning less money being spent).

Regarding the smoking: If you hate it, why don't you make a conscious effort to stop? I smoked for 2 years and stopped cold turkey, granted that isn't a long time. My dad's girlfriend smoked for 20 years (ballpark) and just stopped and hasn't had a problem for 5 months now.

You should be proud of that, but not everyone has the ability to stop cold turkey. For some it's a lot harder than that. I'm not a smoker, but my wife is and she's "quit" about 5 times in the past 5 years. She has tried extremely hard to stay off, and does a pretty good job of keeping the number down (she's never really smoked more than half a pack a day), but quitting is a slow, hard process for her. If she goes cold turkey she's liable to murder someone. :)

You should be proud of that, but not everyone has the ability to stop cold turkey. For some it's a lot harder than that. I'm not a smoker, but my wife is and she's "quit" about 5 times in the past 5 years. She has tried extremely hard to stay off, and does a pretty good job of keeping the number down (she's never really smoked more than half a pack a day), but quitting is a slow, hard process for her. If she goes cold turkey she's liable to murder someone. :)

::D

Thank you sir, I am proud of myself and am definitely happy I stopped early.

Have you and your wife ever considered E-cigs?

Those who produce drugs in BC send them all over the world for example a lot of it goes to Chicago. Even if you tax it production will still continue as it's not necessarily just sold locally.

Archived