The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sign UFA Dave Bolland?

What do you think about signing Dave Bolland?

Played only 23 games/injury, made 3.375m/yr

Might be able to sign him at bargain 2m-2.5m / 4 year

Only 28 years old and lot of playoff experience

2nd or 3rd line centre

You shopping at Wal-Mart?

That's an offer that would end up in the trash bin real soon. I would sign Bolland for four years at $5.0M and to make room for him, I would exercise compliance buy out on Alex Burrows (so essentially, it would be like having Bolland on the books for $9.5M for four years...actually more because Burrows was paid $6.0M this past season).

The benefit of doing the two in tandem is that it frees up cap space to spend on a player that is entering the prime of his career, while letting go a player who's past his expiry date at a cap hit of an additional $0.5M. I would do this knowing that this would be an unpopular move because of all that Burrows has done for the organization, but IMO, Burrows at $4.5M is an albatross that's going to be a millstone around the organization's neck for the next four years. Would be a bold move by new management.

Cancer in the room. No thanks to this piece of trash.

Other than picking on the Sedins on the ice and in the media, what would qualify Bolland as a cancer in the room, Hef? From what I remember, Bolland publicly apologized for his Sedin bunk-bed comments.

You shopping at Wal-Mart?

That's an offer that would end up in the trash bin real soon. I would sign Bolland for four years at $5.0M and to make room for him, I would exercise compliance buy out on Alex Burrows (so essentially, it would be like having Bolland on the books for $9.5M for four years...actually more because Burrows was paid $6.0M this past season).

The benefit of doing the two in tandem is that it frees up cap space to spend on a player that is entering the prime of his career, while letting go a player who's past his expiry date at a cap hit of an additional $0.5M. I would do this knowing that this would be an unpopular move because of all that Burrows has done for the organization, but IMO, Burrows at $4.5M is an albatross that's going to be a millstone around the organization's neck for the next four years. Would be a bold move by new management.

Would be this generaztion's equivalent of bringing in Messier and running Linden out of town.

Other than picking on the Sedins on the ice and in the media, what would qualify Bolland as a cancer in the room, Hef? From what I remember, Bolland publicly apologized for his Sedin bunk-bed comments.

Countless classless comments in the media are are enough for me to want no part of this waste of oxygen. A public apology does not make up for him being enough of a scumbag to make the comments in the first place.

The Leafs would have signed him already at tha price.

Bolland has better numbers than Clarkson and 2 cups and Clarkson signed for 5M$ last year. He will get at least 4M on the market for sure.

Yeah sometimes GM's screw up and better players arent re-signed because of another player eating up useless cap. Same thing happened to Vancouver in 2011 with Ballard and Ehrhoff. "If" the Leafs would have signed him to that, then mind explaining why they haven't?

Would be this generaztion's equivalent of bringing in Messier and running Linden out of town.

You think? Linden was still in his prime, while Messier was in the twilight years of his career. Though I would agree that Burr's popularity vs. Bolland's lack of popularity in these parts are similar to the Linden mess (that's my weak effort at play on words).

All things being equal (i.e., both players have fully recovered from their injuries), I'd take a 28 year old Bolland over a 33 year old Burrows 100 times out of 100. And I'm a fan of Burrows, though I think his usefulness has diminished.

You think? Linden was still in his prime, while Messier was in the twilight years of his career. Though I would agree that Burr's popularity vs. Bolland's lack of popularity in these parts are similar to the Linden mess (that's my weak effort at play on words).

All things being equal (i.e., both players have fully recovered from their injuries), I'd take a 28 year old Bolland over a 33 year old Burrows 100 times out of 100. And I'm a fan of Burrows, though I think his usefulness has diminished.

Again, the problem is Bolland is a cancer in the room and has a history of disgraceful conduct towards our leaders. Burrows is a heart and soul guy who had a tough year with injuries piling up and played better than his stats indicate.

It's more likely that Burrows rebounds than Bolland becomes a respectable human being.

Again, the problem is Bolland is a cancer in the room and has a history of disgraceful conduct towards our leaders. Burrows is a heart and soul guy who had a tough year with injuries piling up and played better than his stats indicate.

It's more likely that Burrows rebounds than Bolland becomes a respectable human being.

I suppose I don't view disgraceful conduct to our leaders as grounds for labeling Bolland as a cancer. I would categorize Bolland as a player who plays hard for his teammates, tries to agitate opposing players on and off the ice (especially during the playoffs) as a "us against them" mentality, which is far from being a cancer in the room. As much as I hate Bolland when he's wearing an opposing jersey, he's the kind of player I'd want on my roster.

You must have more insight onto Bolland's character that would qualify him as being a despicable person than the body of evidence you've provided.

IMO, at similar cap hits (i.e., +/- 25%) Bolland over the next four years >>>>>>>>> Burrows over the next four years. That's my opinion, without wearing my homer glasses and hat.

I suppose I don't view disgraceful conduct to our leaders as grounds for labeling Bolland as a cancer. I would categorize Bolland as a player who plays hard for his teammates, tries to agitate opposing players on and off the ice (especially during the playoffs) as a "us against them" mentality, which is far from being a cancer in the room. As much as I hate Bolland when he's wearing an opposing jersey, he's the kind of player I'd want on my roster.

You must have more insight onto Bolland's character that would qualify him as being a despicable person than the body of evidence you've provided.

IMO, at similar cap hits (i.e., +/- 25%) Bolland over the next four years >>>>>>>>> Burrows over the next four years. That's my opinion, without wearing my homer glasses and hat.

And that's the kind of reasoning that brought Mark Messier to Vancouver and almost got the team moved. I have no desire to live through that kind of debacle again.

I suppose I don't view disgraceful conduct to our leaders as grounds for labeling Bolland as a cancer. I would categorize Bolland as a player who plays hard for his teammates, tries to agitate opposing players on and off the ice...

Well that described Burrows as well, however Bolland does it better and without the theatrical bitting, hair pulling and other shit that occasionally made the Canucks look like a bunch of girls. I like Burrows, but I'd take Bolland over Burrows any day... even if he costs a bit more.

Archived