The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Evander Kane being sued

I don't know if this is old news or new news, but just came across it on THN website...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/57252-Jets-forward-Evander-Kane-says-it-was-he-who-was-attacked-by-man-suing-him.html

WINNIPEG - Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane says he did throw three punches, but only in defence, as he was attacked in Vancouver by a man now suing him for assault.

Vancouver resident Lev Makievsky has said he was returning home from work Aug. 10, 2013, in the downtown area when he was assaulted by Kane, who is from Vancouver.

His statement of claim gave no details of the alleged incident but listed a long series of injuries he says he incurred, including a concussion and an unnamed permanent physical disability.

Kane's lawyers have filed a response that says he has known Makievsky for about four years and encountered him at about 2 a.m. on the date in question.

It says Makievsky tried to get Kane to fight and when he declined, charged and swung at Kane, who responded with three punches and knocked his attacker down. Then, as Makievsky got up and swung again, Kane pushed him down and left.

"The Plaintiff was highly confrontational and shouted insults at the Defendant," says Kane's response filed in the Supreme Court of British Columbia.

"When the Defendant attempted to walk away, the Plaintiff said 'let's go' and suggested that the Defendant should engage in a physical fight with him."

The response also says Makievsky was heard boasting at work the next night that he planned to sue Kane.

"The Defendant's conduct was at all times consistent with preventing or repelling the Plaintiff from attacking him. The Defendant used no more than reasonable force to defend himself from the Plaintiff."

Kane's response notes no charges have been laid. Vancouver police have said they did investigate an incident that night and found no basis on which to lay charges.

Seems like young Evander has a way of having trouble find him, though I would have to say that in our modern day society, celebs and athletes seem to be easy targets for those who are seeking fame and financial opportunities for themselves.

Certainly am not professing Kane to be a saint (what young 20-something kid who becomes a millionaire almost instantaneously is?), but the plaintiff in the suit sounds like a dude trying to look for a payday from Kane...plaintiff knew Kane for four years, so perhaps buddy was hatching up a sketchy plan to exhort money through the legal system.

Anyways, seems like Kane can Cooke-out in the alley as well as on the ice. If I were the owner/Pres./GM of an NHL franchise, I'd have no problems making a play for Kane as one of my top six roster players.

Another case of some Joe Blow trying to make a couple bucks off of a guy who has money. Just like that idiot Kings fan claiming the water he got sprayed in his face messed him up.

Put your efforts into your job and maybe you can make better money.

The moron is going to lose more money than he can gain.

Evander is a millionare, he'll have good lawyers and if there were no cameras recording the incident, the guy would have no evidence against Kane. Kane can just ride the "self-defense" card and would most likely win.

The moron is going to lose more money than he can gain.

Evander is a millionare, he'll have good lawyers and if there were no cameras recording the incident, the guy would have no evidence against Kane. Kane can just ride the "self-defense" card on a "He said - she said" basis and would most likely win.

If Kane only threw three punches he is more controlled and level-headed than I gave him credit for in the past. Not bad for such a young kid who is trained to fight and is a professional athlete.

What would you do if someone tried to fight you, curl up in a ball and take it?

Well if I'm rich then that would be up to my entourage to decide what to do with him haha. Seriously though everyone has a camera now, just start filming while the cops are on the way and there won't be much problems.

there are a lot of 20 year olds in the league earning millions and are behaving responsively. I have no sympathy for Kane acting like a clown

Acting like a clown? Really dude? He got verbally and physically attacked, and he defended himself. The guy who's suing sounds and looks like the clown here.

Archived