The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Salaries: Lowest in Canada?

Russianfan

Thank you for those who responded:

I ) I graduated from SFU with a Communications degree specializing in Marketing. From what I was told all my life is that if I go to school and I finish university I will be better off than 90% of other people. For those who said " a degree is a dime a dozen" give your head a shake. Stats show 1 out of 10 people finish post-secondary, that already puts me in the top 10% of income earners because I finished secondary education.

Everyone knows and everyone who I knew growing up encourgaged me to go to school and finish college. Keep in mind 90% of people can not afford college and are not smart enough to withstand the demanding GPA requirements to get in and to finish. Guess what, I DID! As a result I fully expect to be rewarded with a good salary in a position that matches my school of study.

There is no reason not to have high expectations, we live in a society where our parents provided us with every tool, every opportunity and every chance to get ahead, and I feel my generation have every right to ask for high salaries because we are the future of the retiring "Baby Boomers" you need us more than ever and we can ask for whatever we want.

People seem to think "university kids are a dime a dozen" guess what, I havent checked out the job market but I bet you everyone with a degree has a job. Like I said 1 in 10 have degrees, they are the first people hired and they have a lot of bargaining power with employers.

II ) Its not just about experience its about skill and power of your degree. There are kids going to Wall Street right out of college at 21 years old landing 100k year jobs, lawyers, doctors, electricians, miners, sales people etc.. Experience means nothing if you have a degree and you have high grades, thats the beauty of school.

School is a short cut to experience, its either you go to work after high school hoping to rise through the ranks or you take a short cut and go to school and expet to make just as much as someone who didnt 5 years back.

III ) I fully expect 60k MINIMUM out of school, considering how expensive my degree was it is only fair to ask for that much back. Consdering how expensive housing here is, how hard it was to get my education, the countless hours of homework etc i think i deserve to be rewarded with a nice job and income.

Employers are not stupid they know the cost of housing, they know how hard it is to finish school, they know how good kids are out of school there is no reason not to pay them well and pay them high.

So with that being said, is $60,000 too little to ask for? I cant imagine the job market being any less than that for an average out of school salary, providing you have a post-secondary degree.

You are in for a rude awakening.

This.

I find it hilarious that all these people my age who are finishing university/college are thinking its a golden ticket to automatically get a job with great pay.

I know a girl who finished a business degree at SFU LAST YEAR, and just found a mediocre job NOW.

I also went to SFU for a bit before switching to another institution.

You're in for a big surprise. The university theory took you for a ride my friend.

It's the person...not the degree that land/hold the desired job.

III ) I fully expect 60k MINIMUM out of school, considering how expensive my degree was it is only fair to ask for that much back. Consdering how expensive housing here is, how hard it was to get my education, the countless hours of homework etc i think i deserve to be rewarded with a nice job and income.

Please help I have a few days left, I have to admit i was given 4 months to do this project but I been chilling with friends, playing video games and hanging out with girls. I am kinda freaking out that the deadline is coming and its worth 75% of my grade, I cant afford to screw this up, I will be in a deep hole with my parents, my school and my future.

Good luck on your future endeavours. It sounds like you have it all figured out.

Thank you for those who responded:

I ) I graduated from SFU with a Communications degree specializing in Marketing. From what I was told all my life is that if I go to school and I finish university I will be better off than 90% of other people. For those who said " a degree is a dime a dozen" give your head a shake. Stats show 1 out of 10 people finish post-secondary, that already puts me in the top 10% of income earners because I finished secondary education.

Everyone knows and everyone who I knew growing up encourgaged me to go to school and finish college. Keep in mind 90% of people can not afford college and are not smart enough to withstand the demanding GPA requirements to get in and to finish. Guess what, I DID! As a result I fully expect to be rewarded with a good salary in a position that matches my school of study.

There is no reason not to have high expectations, we live in a society where our parents provided us with every tool, every opportunity and every chance to get ahead, and I feel my generation have every right to ask for high salaries because we are the future of the retiring "Baby Boomers" you need us more than ever and we can ask for whatever we want.

People seem to think "university kids are a dime a dozen" guess what, I havent checked out the job market but I bet you everyone with a degree has a job. Like I said 1 in 10 have degrees, they are the first people hired and they have a lot of bargaining power with employers.

II ) Its not just about experience its about skill and power of your degree. There are kids going to Wall Street right out of college at 21 years old landing 100k year jobs, lawyers, doctors, electricians, miners, sales people etc.. Experience means nothing if you have a degree and you have high grades, thats the beauty of school.

School is a short cut to experience, its either you go to work after high school hoping to rise through the ranks or you take a short cut and go to school and expet to make just as much as someone who didnt 5 years back.

Employers are not stupid they know the cost of housing, they know how hard it is to finish school, they know how good kids are out of school there is no reason not to pay them well and pay them high.

So with that being said, is $60,000 too little to ask for? I cant imagine the job market being any less than that for an average out of school salary, providing you have a post-secondary degree.

You've lumped quite a cross section of positions for someone 21 years old. You do know its a minimum of 7 years before you get a law degree, or become a doctor?

troll for sure. way too much ignorance in that last post for someone who says they completed university.

Those were the words of someone who has never worked a day in their life.

He is even on here trying to help him complete a project that is due in days worth 75% of his mark while he slacked off.

Yeah.....top level executive quality candidate straight out of Uni, right there.

I'd love to see a reality show about his job hunt. That would be entertaining as all get out.

Ever since I read the paper on it I've been seeing it all over the place.

Dunning-Kruger Effect

The DunningKruger effect is a cognitive bias manifesting in two principal ways:

Unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their ineptitude.[1]

Those persons to whom a skill or set of skills come easily may find themselves with weak self-confidence, as they may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. See Impostor syndrome.

David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others".[2]

Dunning and Kruger proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

tend to overestimate their own level of skill;

fail to recognize genuine skill in others;

fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;

recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they are exposed to training for that skill.[5]

Dunning has since drawn an analogy ("the anosognosia of everyday life")[1][6] with a condition in which a person who suffers a physical disability because of brain injury seems unaware of or denies the existence of the disability, even for dramatic impairments such as blindness or paralysis.

If youre incompetent, you cant know youre incompetent. [] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is.

David Dunning[7]

In all honesty, compensation in marketing is often performance-based, with commissions and bonuses for those who are successful. So if a kid fresh out of marketing school manages to land a few big accounts and knock them out of the park, sure, he could be making over 100k in short order.

However, it also works the other way. If he slacks off, drops the ball, or simply doesn't have the ingenuity and work ethic to be one of the best, then he's probably not going to make much more than the receptionist.

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm going to go ahead and project the OP as part of the latter group.

Probably why the most incompetent people are the loudest and confident, and the most competent people doubtful in their abilities

That's exactly the case.

It's also why the few who bully their way through the cracks wind up in positions of extreme power.

There is a viciousness to their undervaluing of those around them.

Russianfan meet real life. The average wage in Canada if $47,000 per year. You would be lucky to get that right out of University as a marketer.

Aren't you the guy that thinks that life is all about money? Ha ha. Justice.

Archived