The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 10 All Around Defenseman in the League Currently?

I never really considered Subban/Karlsson to be really that sturdy defensively. I don't think they are terrible, but I don'think they are Great.

My list:

Keith

Seabrook

Suter

Weber

Chara

Doughty

Pietrangelo

Bouwmeester

McDonagh
Hamhuis (No I'm not crazy, I think he's still one of the most underrated players in the league)

Giordano could fit, imo.

This guy should probably win the Noris this year,

The advanced stats show he had the toughest zone starts of any D-man in the league, to end up with all those points and a good plus minus on a bad team is mind blowing,

BTW

Pietrangelo = overated, over-hyped by the Canadian media

Karrlsson = Not good all around, more of a rover then a D-man

Subban = underrated defensivly

I never really considered Subban/Karlsson to be really that sturdy defensively. I don't think they are terrible, but I don'think they are Great.

My list:

Keith

Seabrook

Suter

Weber

Chara

Doughty

Pietrangelo

Bouwmeester

McDonagh

Hamhuis (No I'm not crazy, I think he's still one of the most underrated players in the league)

Hamhuis is good but he lacks that 4th gear/big play ability the real top guys have

Bouwmeester? mehhhhhh.....

Giordano could fit, imo.

Absolutely agree, I live in CGY so I watch a lot of Flames games on tv and Giordano has been great at both ends of the ice ever since putting on the C. I believe he was 3rd in points per game for Dmen last season as well as having a good +/- rating for someone on a rebuild team, also had 47 points in 64 games which is insane. Seems like he hit his prime and should be in it for the coming years.

The advanced stats show he had the toughest zone starts of any D-man in the league, to end up with all those points and a good plus minus on a bad team is mind blowing,

BTW

Why would a player playing in an American market be overhyped by Canadian media? No sense. Oh and Pietrangelo is a future Norris winner

1. Weber. (Easily). 3rd in points as a defensemen with 56, he's the an animal defensively, the best defensively. Can turnbuckle players or check and hit. This guy is so underrated in his defensive game, he isn't a DFD. He has one of the best shots, he's a flawless player IMO.

2. Keith. 2nd in points as a defensemen and I've never seen a player get around him with a deke or him making a dumb move.

3. Doughty, this guy is a shark. He's all around, smart, elusive and solid.

4. Pietrangelo.

5. McDonagh

6. Suter

7. Kronwall

8. Fowler

9. Vlasic

10. Hamhuis

I would say the top 7 are a B- in every aspect of the game and the bottom 3 are atleast C+ in every aspect of the game.

Karlsson and Subban make stupid decisions defensively. Karlsson can't hit, not strong at all. Subban tries to do too much and will make a dumb mistake leading to a breakaway goal or something.

BTW

Pietrangelo isn't overrated, next season he'll be coming into his prime as a star defensemen. He checks well, moves the puck as good as Karlsson IMO, and as a very good shot. The best part is he can read everything and offensively his hockey sense is very good.

Subban I think is overrated defensively, I have no idea how he won the Norris. He'll go for the big hit and take out a player but it'll be a 2 on 1 the other way. He is too risky and fails on the risks he takes, he needs to stay calm defensively and allow the offensive to cause a turn over instead of taking out a player.

Why would a player playing in an American market be overhyped by Canadian media? No sense. Oh and Pietrangelo is a future Norris winner

1. You're kidding right? The Canadian media only hypes players in Canadian markets? Either you don't watch Canadian broadcasts, or you didn't think about that before you wrote it.

2. You base this projection on what? His "good but not great" play this year? His "very good but not spectacular" play last year? No, I believe you're making that projection based on the media constantly TELLING you he's a future Noris guy, because the hard facts don't support that projection at all.

Pietrangelo isn't overrated, next season he'll be coming into his prime as a star defensemen. He checks well, moves the puck as good as Karlsson IMO, and as a very good shot. The best part is he can read everything and offensively his hockey sense is very good.

Subban I think is overrated defensively, I have no idea how he won the Norris. He'll go for the big hit and take out a player but it'll be a 2 on 1 the other way. He is too risky and fails on the risks he takes, he needs to stay calm defensively and allow the offensive to cause a turn over instead of taking out a player.

I won't argue your Subban points, they are all true, however taking risks is not necessarily a bad thing in my eyes, in the end the benefit of those risks might outweigh the costs. And I think in Subban's case, this is true.

Those are the same things everyone was saying about Pietrangelo last year, he went on to have a "meh" season by Noris candidate standards, and in the end wasn't even in the mix for the prize.

Sorry, I'll believe it when I see it with that guy.

Weber

Pietrangelo

Chara

Doughty

Subban

Keith

Hamhuis

Suter

Girardi

Hedman

All these defensemen can actually defend, unlike Karlsson who is really a forward in defenseman's clothing.

I have a funny feeling Edler will be on this list at the end of next season. With a huge vote of support from management and a coach that won't publicly berate him, I got a feeling.

Archived