The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Pittsburgh Penguins narrow coaching search down to two candidates; Desjardins not an option

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/522825

The Pittsburgh Penguins are close to naming a successor to Dan Byslma and are down to selecting between two finalists, according to a report from TVA's Louis Jean:

The Penguins have reportedly interviewed Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins head coach John Hynes, former Leafs bench boss Ron Wilson, TSN analyst Marc Crawford, and New York Rangers assistant Ulf Samulesson during this process. In all, TSN's Darren Dreger suggested on Wednesday that roughly 10 candidates had interviewed.

The Penguins WERE reportedly interested in Texas Stars head coach Willie Desjardins, although there's conflicting reports on whether or not he's a serious contender for the Penguins job.

"Whoever our head coach is has to have the right relationship, the right communication, and be able to get the most out of all our players, especially those top ones," Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford told Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Wednesday. "The coach doesn't have to be the players' friend. He has a job to do. They have a job to do. The coach and players only have to respect each other."

Rutherford also told Rossi that he was on schedule to hire a new head coach by July 1, and that NHL experience wasn't a prerequisite for the job.

So who are the final two candidates? Presumably we'll know soon enough.

Hallelujah! Seems Desjardins is out of the picture in Pittsburgh and ups the probability of him being our guy.

Gut feeling says John Hynes or Ulf Samuelsson will get the Pens job.

Keywords are conflicting reports. Desjardins could still be the Pens new head coach as Rutherford is looking for the same guidelines we're looking for in a coach.

Seems Desjardins is out.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2014/06/19/Penguins-Interviews-for-new-coach-are-finished/stories/201406190191

Penguins: Interviews for new coach are finished

Phase 1 of the Penguins coaching search is over.

Probably.

General manager Jim Rutherford interviewed his eighth candidate Wednesday, then reiterated he does not expect there to be a ninth.

I think Im through it now, he said, unless theres some surprise that comes along tonight.

Rutherford apparently has not spoken with Texas Stars coach Willie Desjardins, whose team won the American Hockey League championship Tuesday night, and at this point, it seems unlikely that he will do so before settling on Dan Bylsmas replacement.

The list of candidates is believed to include Wilkes-Barre/Scranton coach John Hynes the only publicly acknowledged contender NHL assistants Ulf Samuelsson (New York Rangers) and Bill Peters (Detroit), Red Wings associate coach Tom Renney and longtime NHL coaches Ron Wilson and Marc Crawford. The identities of the other two candidates have not been established.

While it is impossible to predict who Rutherford will settle on to be behind the Penguins bench in 2014-15, he said several of the interviewees appear to be capable of helping the Penguins perform to their potential in coming seasons.

I think its fair to say theres more than one, which makes it good, he said. I will say that all the guys I interviewed did a good job. Here, in the near future, I have to make a decision that most suits what we need.

Rutherford said the coach he selects will have to have a presence and the respect of the players, and reinforced the idea his choice must coach a puck-possession style and have a proven ability to make adjustments in individual games and playoff series.

While he might have been impressed, to varying degrees, by everyone he interviewed, Rutherford acknowledged that a few had separated themselves from the group while speaking with him and other members of the Penguins front office.

Im getting it down to a couple, he said. I really, as I narrow it down here, would like to make a decision fairly soon.

The only deadline Rutherford has stipulated is that he would like to have a coach in place before the start of free agency July 1.

Rutherford hired a handful of coaches in his time as general manager for the Hartford/Carolina franchise and has developed a mental checklist of sorts he will run through while winnowing the list to one.

You just break it down as to the knowledge of the coach, as to the preparation of a coach, as to his character and his leadership, he said.

All these guys have all those things. Its a matter of who I ultimately feel has the best overall package.

One thing that isnt likely to influence Rutherfords selection to any significant extent is a hunch. For better or worse, gut feelings have played a part in countless hockey decisions over the years, but Rutherford said they will not be part of this equation.

Its [all about] how the process works and how they presented themselves, he said. What they know about the league, what they know about the Penguins, what their systems are, what they know about the game.

Although Rutherford is just completing his second week on the job, he appreciates the importance of the hire he is preparing to make. His current plan is to be the general manager here for only two or three years, so the decision on a coach is a virtual lock to rank among the most significant of his tenure.

It will be one of them, Rutherford said. It will certainly end up being in the top three.

Still hoping for Crow to get a shot. Apparently he's really mellowed in his years out of the league.

Keywords are conflicting reports. Desjardins could still be the Pens new head coach as Rutherford is looking for the same guidelines we're looking for in a coach.

I truly hate when you post something. I end up wasting significant amounts of time playing with that damn orca.

Still hoping for Crow to get a shot. Apparently he's really mellowed in his years out of the league.

I truly hate when you post something. I end up wasting significant amounts of time playing with that damn orca.

I do that too..

Anyoneelse think its interesting Totorella isn't vying for a coaching job with one of these teams?

No. Tortorella's melt down...and his grand efforts to appease his family by forgoing practice with his team in VAN when they sorely needed & wanted it...proved that he needs & will take his millions for some family time. The Aquilini's will definitely be on the hook to pay him his due.

Tortorella's subsequent disconnect & quit on his team in VAN ...proved that his wad was spent & he needs to re-fuel, re-evaluate his schtick & give himself a much needed make-over...if he's ever going to re-emerge as a NHL coach, again. Perhaps, after a couple of years... he may try-out Europe like Crow did....or he'll ignore calls for him to change ...and just emulate Milbury & Cherry by embracing his bombastic-side & become the colour on some media broadcast,... giving-up serious coaching, altogether.

Archived