The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Willie Desjardin: VAN Head Coach

Strombone1

what did dreger say that's got everyone telling him to eat it? I must have missed it

He said that Desjardins would be choosing between Vancouver and Pittsburgh.

Nothing wrong with that, in itself, as it kind of turned out that way.

The problem was that when Dreger said this, Willie wasn't really on the Pens' radar. Rutherford was zeroed in on another candidate (most likely Bill Peters) and wasn't interested in looking at more options. And at that point, he hadn't even spoken to Desjardins.

And Vancouver was basically looking like Willie was their 1st choice (or had become their main focus after guys like Stevens, and earlier Blashill, were removed from contention).

So it really looked like Dreger was trying to stir the pot and create needless anxiety for Canucks fans (and build some buzz for himself).

Given his track record with this team, many of us didn't appreciate the timing.

And it was suspiciously similar to what went on with Jim Benning. Right when we looked set on hiring him, many media members started pushing stories that Pittsburgh was going to steal Benning out from under the Canucks.

And then the whole Pittsburgh is "way better" than Vancouver thing that flies around Twitter whenever the Pens and Canucks are rumoured to be competing for a hire. How coaching/managing a team with Crosby/Malkin is so much better than the Canucks. And how no one would ever choose Vancouver over the Pens. And all that stuff.

Dreger's timing (and the way he was playing the story--not that he was alone in this) left a bad taste.

Of course, after Peters went to Carolina, it looks like Rutherford tried to make a late scamble with an offer to Desjardins. So Willie did need to "choose" between Vancouver and Pittsburgh (just like Dreger said). But when Dreger made his original tweet, Desjardins wasn't even on the Pens' short list (and really didn't look like he was going to be a serious candidate for them).

That's pretty much how I saw the Dreger thing play out.

EDIT: typos

Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph 13s

Sounds like Vancouver #canucks will announce Willie Desjardins as the 18th head coach in franchise history on Monday. #bookit

https://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph/s...40134330683392

If Murph is putting it out there I'm more likely to believe it. That and I think Bob McKenzie has piped in. Bob rarely, if ever makes a bad call.

I haven't exactly followed the coaching search....

can someone please kindly fill in what we can expect from desjardin this coming season?

Thanks in advance :)

To be completely honest (and please don't take this as being rude), I wouldn't try and set expectations for Desjardins. Albeit, we should try and mould a team that fits the Western Conference playing style but I'll welcome any approach Desjardins wants to implement.

He fits Benning and Linden's main goals of high paced hockey and bringing life back into the Canucks fanbase and that's all that I would be hoping for.

He's had experience at both the NHL (associate head coach) and AHL levels so there is an understanding of veterans and prospects, which is a good fit for the collective mindset of integrating youth into our lineup from here on out. I see next season as a trial run/transition period for the future and I am fine with that.

I think people are missing what is being handed out here. We have career management, all who have the same goal and play style in mind. I believe we will see players moved who do not want to 'get on board' with the system. We haven't had that since 2011 (and maybe sooner, given the career years guys had there).

This group is focused and on the same page. The players better pull up their socks. Kesler is already not one of this groups guys, because he wants out.

Just nice to see our Club set their sights and get their man. No dilly dallying, no bs, no mixed signals and no damned disappointment at the end of it.

It's great to see focus, effort and a professional way of "just getting the job done"

Congrats to the owners, Linden, Benning and especially Willie D. Good job guys, now let's make some noise!!!

Archived