The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What about Burrows?

cowboy644

Guy has an absolutely atrocious year in terms of injury, and then started to go on a tear when he was finally healthy. He's been a god-damned workhorse his entire career here and always has great underlying numbers and can literally play every forward position (not the best centre but he has done it).

You guys want to ship him out already?

also i remember him playing D too in 2011 with all the injuries

He was injury riddled sure.

He's also 32 now? I'd rather give that 3rd spot on the first line to someone with younger legs.

Burrows is a fine third liner at this point, but he's making 4m which is not 3rd line money.

You speak as if "younger" guarantees more success. It does not.

That's the new catch phrase and fan marketing: "younger guarantees better". But you may not getting someone with the hand/eye that he has. The willingness to take abuse in front of the net. The ability to come through when needed. These are all things that have been demonstrated by Burr. A young guy has to prove himself and may not.

I like burr a lot but lets put our emotions aside for just a minute

Last two seasons

Booth 78 GP and 22 pts 4.25 cap hit, averaged 13 min/game

Burrows 96 GP and 39 pts 4.5 cap hit, averaged 18 min/game

One guy just got bought out.

I still think he has a bounce back year, this year, in a canucks jersey, but I also thought booth would still be around too

This.

He bites, dives , whines and pulls hair. But he "slayed the dragon ".

He bit. Once, not plural. Because someone was jamming their glove down his throat. Better to bite back than take it?

He doesn't whine. So that's false. He chirps - there's a difference.

And hair pulling isn't cool. But neither is a lot of stuff that he puts up with, so all's fair in love/hate and hockey?

If that's all you've noticed in watching Burr over the years, change the rx for your eyeglasses.

Anyhow, it's no secret how I feel.

I like burr a lot but lets put our emotions aside for just a minute

Last two seasons

Booth 78 GP and 22 pts 4.25 cap hit, averaged 13 min/game

Burrows 96 GP and 39 pts 4.5 cap hit, averaged 18 min/game

One guy just got bought out.

I still think he has a bounce back year, this year, in a canucks jersey, but I also thought booth would still be around too

He was injury riddled sure.

He's also 32 now? I'd rather give that 3rd spot on the first line to someone with younger legs.

Burrows is a fine third liner at this point, but he's making 4m which is not 3rd line money.

The fact that he is 32 is the only thing that you said that is not debatable.

A player can have a million dollar pair of young legs but have a five cent hockey brain.

Let's try to see past last year. It was an anomaly to say the least. Burr has been one of Vancouver's more consistent players. His injuries were a major reason for his decline in production last year. It is narrow minded not to also take that into consideration. He brings talent, energy, dedication and loyalty to our team. Compare that to what Kesler has really brought.

Rather have the Burr then a Tostito on my team ;)

After doing so much for the team for so many years, he should not be punished for one season. Especially a season where he was injured and had to play under Torts' system. Giving him another year is more than fair. The only issue would be his $4 million. We have lots of cap space though so we'll see how things go.

You speak as if "younger" guarantees more success. It does not.

That's the new catch phrase and fan marketing: "younger guarantees better". But you may not getting someone with the hand/eye that he has. The willingness to take abuse in front of the net. The ability to come through when needed. These are all things that have been demonstrated by Burr. A young guy has to prove himself and may not.

I'm not saying we need to play a young guy just because he's young. I'm saying it's time for a change, and Jensen or kassian should get their opportunity there soon.

Its the fact that they do have better hand eye, they're faster, they're bigger.

If you want to talk about the past and how Burrows did so much, that's fine. I'm fine with Burrows, but he'd fallen off as muvh or more than anyone has.

I'm not advocating this whole young = wins thing, but the fact is kassian put up a lot of points over the last twenty games, and Jensen produced well himself.

We've babied kassian, and he grew a lot. He put up a lot of points for someone who had to play with booth.

Jensen himself is a very raw player. He can score a crap ton, and he's very shifty from the face off dot to the boards. We've lacked a player with those pure scoring attributes for a while.

There isn't enough of a talent gap between Burrows and kassian/jensen for me to justify playing Burrows more minutes than them.

I like Burrows,but the direction the team needs to head includes the top six jobs going to younger players.If he has value to teams now,and can play the rest of his career with a team that's ready now,then he should go.If his league value is zero,then I guess he retires here on the bottom two lines.

If we are trying to make the playoffs this year (I'm hoping that we're tanking), then we should get rid of him. He's a 3rd liner at this point making $4m+. Most successful teams use younger players to fill out the 2nd and 3rd lines. Burrows really doesn't fit in anywhere. Sure, he had injuries and a bad coach, but he's not getting any younger (33 years old).

If we're tanking = keep him

I we're trying to make the playoffs = get rid of him

If we are trying to make the playoffs this year (I'm hoping that we're tanking), then we should get rid of him. He's a 3rd liner at this point making $4m+. Most successful teams use younger players to fill out the 2nd and 3rd lines. Burrows really doesn't fit in anywhere. Sure, he had injuries and a bad coach, but he's not getting any younger (33 years old).

If we're tanking = keep him

I we're trying to make the playoffs = get rid of him

Yeah, lets get rid of the guy who led the team in goals the year before this last injury riddled one and finished 2nd in goals scored (1 behind Daniel) the year before. Lets do it now while his value is at an all-time low.

The CDC penchant for buying high and selling low is alive and well. (See the Jordan Schroeder thread for another excellent example)

12.8 S%

24 GW goals

More SH goals than PP goals

+122

Only 1 season playing less than 85% of games that season.

4 time 25 goal scorer.

Averages about 2 minutes on the PK per game.

Consistently a top Corsi and Fenwick player, and had an unheard of season in terms of injury, PDO and S% .

Burrows ain't going anywhere.

Best post ive read on a forum thanks for makeing sense for everyone to see why burrows is ares for ever til he retires

He was so clutch in 2011 playoffs stood above the rest

Any fan who sugests him to be traded should be banned imo

Secondly im pretty happy linden agrees with that cause he fired torts for sugesting burr to be bought out. I didnt mind torts til that story came out i can never forgive him or say he was ok coach

Burrows is going to have a big rebound year and he has chemistry with the Sedins, until u find someone that also has Chemistry with the Sedins you shouldn't trade him unless your trying to tank.

I also think he is going to retire as a canuck and stay in organization.

This is the problem right here. Some fans just won't accept that the window has closed.

Let's say you're right and Burrows has a rebound year. You think Burrows and the Sedins can carry this team anywhere in the playoffs if they even make the playoffs? Delusional if you believe that.

I'm not saying we need to play a young guy just because he's young. I'm saying it's time for a change, and Jensen or kassian should get their opportunity there soon.

Its the fact that they do have better hand eye, they're faster, they're bigger.

If you want to talk about the past and how Burrows did so much, that's fine. I'm fine with Burrows, but he'd fallen off as muvh or more than anyone has.

I'm not advocating this whole young = wins thing, but the fact is kassian put up a lot of points over the last twenty games, and Jensen produced well himself.

We've babied kassian, and he grew a lot. He put up a lot of points for someone who had to play with booth.

Jensen himself is a very raw player. He can score a crap ton, and he's very shifty from the face off dot to the boards. We've lacked a player with those pure scoring attributes for a while.

There isn't enough of a talent gap between Burrows and kassian/jensen for me to justify playing Burrows more minutes than them.

In respect, I have to disagree.

"There isn't enough of a talent gap between Burrows and Kassian/Jensen for me to justify playing Burrows more minutes than them."

Your statement is rather flippant is it not? Do you mean together or separately?

Would you put Kassian/Jensen on the PK? Do you actually feel the consistency Burr has proven he can perform is less than what the other two have contributed? Kass and Jensen were drafted does that in any way compare to what Burr had to accomplish by sheer determination and effort just to get where he is now? Kassian and Jensen are rookies who are still in need of learning their trade and you suggest they are on the same level as Burrows?

Ask yourself this question. If you needed someone on the ice to handle a special situation, would you call on the rookies or Alex Burrows. I believe Kassian and Jensen will do well in their own time but as a humble armchair hockey coach, I would definitely look at the Burr (despite his 32 years of age) to be the man to get the job done - at this time. There is a lot to be said about experience and a proven level of competence over just raw, young potential talent.

This is the problem right here. Some fans just won't accept that the window has closed.

Let's say you're right and Burrows has a rebound year. You think Burrows and the Sedins can carry this team anywhere in the playoffs if they even make the playoffs? Delusional if you believe that.

I think you're correct in your assessment of the team's potential. The problem I have with moving Burrows now is that he has less value currently than he should have, based on his recent career rather than his last season.

Now if Tallon were willing to swap the 1st overall for Burrows straight up, (as the OP seems to suggest) then I take that deal and run. However, I think we'd agree that this won't happen.

It makes far more sense to me to give Burrows a year to get back closer to where he was the two seasons previous to this past one and then see what the market is for him.

In respect, I have to disagree. "There isn't enough of a talent gap between Burrows and Kassian/Jensen for me to justify playing Burrows more minute than them."

Would you put Kassian/Jensen on the PK? Do you actually feel the consistency Burr has proven he can perform is less than what the other two have contributed? Kass and Jensen were drafted does that in any way compare to what Burr had to accomplish by sheer determination and effort just to get where he is now? Kassian and Jensen are rookies who are still in need of learning their trade and you suggest they are on the same level as Burrows?

Ask yourself this question. If you needed someone on the ice to handle a special situation, would you call on the rookies or Alex Burrows. I believe Kassian and Jensen will do well in their own time but as a humble armchair hockey coach, I would definitely look at the Burr (despite his 32 years of age) to be the man to get the job done - at this time. There is a lot to be said about experience and proven level of competence over just raw potential talent.

When I was referring to a talent gap, I meant it offensively because I'm saying they're better suited for the offensive duties with the Sedins. I wouldn't put them on PK no, but that's because the PK is a job for two-way players, and bottom six forwards. I believe that should be the role for Burrows next year.

Burrows has proven he can score YES. He's also on the decline and that is quite obvious to me. At some point, the rate of decline has to take over no? See you're confused. I'm saying I'd rather have one of the young offensive players to play with our offensive forwards who need to be used in mostly offensive situations, unlike the 50/50 split they had last year.

I'll take Burrows in a late game, because that part of Jensen/Kassian's game is unproven - even though I'll argue that Kassian was better defensively than Burrows was last year. He was also more disciplined throughout the regular season. Also, Kassian is about to enter his fourth season in the NHL.

I think you're correct in your assessment of the team's potential. The problem I have with moving Burrows now is that he has less value currently than he should have, based on his recent career rather than his last season.

Now if Tallon were willing to swap the 1st overall for Burrows straight up, (as the OP seems to suggest) then I take that deal and run. However, I think we'd agree that this won't happen.

It makes far more sense to me to give Burrows a year to get back closer to where he was the two seasons previous to this past one and then see what the market is for him.

The 'move Burrow or not' issue is seperate from my point. Holding back on Burrows to let him have a rebound year is not a bad idea if there is no good deal to be had.

I was pointing out the blind faith some delusional fans still seem to have that the Sedins, either with Burrows or someone else, can carry this team anywhere. It's over. There is no more Lui, no more Schneider, the Sedins are a year older. It's all about the rebuild now.

Archived