The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What about Burrows?

cowboy644

Best post ive read on a forum thanks for makeing sense for everyone to see why burrows is ares for ever til he retires

He was so clutch in 2011 playoffs stood above the rest

Any fan who sugests him to be traded should be banned imo

Secondly im pretty happy linden agrees with that cause he fired torts for sugesting burr to be bought out. I didnt mind torts til that story came out i can never forgive him or say he was ok coach

A little dramatic imo.

I like Burrows but if Linden can turn him + the 6th overall into Reinhart I think you gotta take that deal.

How much of a chance did he get?

A few games here and there..certainly didnt get it with Torts and with AV he scored about 5-6 goals in as many games and was quickly removed...I also think Zack didnt know how to go to the hard areas,,he is a work in progress for sure,,and was getting it at the seasons end..this is about Burrows,, not another bash Kassian thread.

I wasn't bashing zack as much as pointing out that bur player bigger and harder they he. Your right he was playing better at the end of the season but is nowhere near ready to overtake bur.

Bur plays bigger then kass and Jensen combined. He's also more willing to go to the dirty areas and battle for the puck then anyone on the team, this is why he played well with the twins he goes to the hard area retrieves pucks and can get to the net for the finish. Zack was never willing to go to the hard areas so he never played well with the twins.

No he does not!! He may play with more energy, but he does not play bigger. He cannot muscle his way past the big boys.The Sedins are not the biggest guys. Other teams have figured them and Burrows out. They need more size on their line, especially in the Playoffs.

No he does not!! He may play with more energy, but he does not play bigger. He cannot muscle his way past the big boys.The Sedins are not the biggest guys. Other teams have figured them and Burrows out. They need more size on their line, especially in the Playoffs.

Big players that play big but we don't have any? Bur is more willing to go to the hard areas and battle then anyone, it's more then just energy it's grit. Everyone on the team had a bad year I'm not so sure they "figured us out" as much as didn't play the game with the intensity we needed to. Lots going on in the room (Lou/kess) that were sure to be messing with the teams chemistry.

I wasn't bashing zack as much as pointing out that bur player bigger and harder they he. Your right he was playing better at the end of the season but is nowhere near ready to overtake bur.

I totally disagree,he is ready to take over for Burrows,,its his time...Burrows is 3rd line material or trade bait in my books...I hope the new powers that be realize that instead of playing him on the 1st and 2nd lines...

Zack should be 2nd line this year if all goes well and he has a good camp..gawd,, he is one of our future players..give the kid a break.

Reading between the lines, JB seems to believe that Burrows is still a top six forward (i.e., I'm paraphrasing: "Booth had a couple of bad seasons of injuries...but at his salary ($4.25M) he's paid like a top six and we didn't see him as one").

So, at $4.5M, Burr is going to be expected to be a top six and produce like one. If he fulfills these expectations, then I'm all for keeping him around and finish out his contract with the Canucks. I'm sure Burr is going to feel the pressure to achieve top six forward expectations.

Rupertkbd is right -- based on the brutal season he had last year, Burr probably has very little trade value. So now is not the time to trade him. I also agree with Gross Misconduct's assertion that we will not be cup contenders with the current core...and since it's clear that TL/JB consider Burr to be part of the core, moving him at some point does make sense. Burr is one of those players that teams contending for the Cup will trade for at the deadline, so his value as trade material should be higher at that time (and will give him 3/4 of a season to up his ante).

My opinion of Burr still holds...love what he's done for the Canucks in the past, but at 32 years of age, a cap hit of $4.5M (which I believe is an overpayment for him), a three year decline (implying last year was not an anomaly as far as trends go, but would say the rate at which he declined last year was overstated for all the reasons many have already stated), redundancy on leadership role (i.e., we have the Sedins, Bieksa, Hamhuis to provide that leadership, though I suppose one can argue that you can't have too many leaders around) I believe he should be moved at some point.

Sad, but unfortunate part of teams needing to move players who are deeply rooted to allow the team to get better in the future.

For those who keep bringing up Burr's hair pulling, finger biting, chin-wagging, embellishing ways: would you not agree that he's done much to reform himself? He's kept his trap shut and has played a pretty honest whistle to whistle game for the past three years. Which, IMO, has coincided with the decline in his game. I, for one, would like to see Burrows back to being the royal pain in the @$$ that he was back in 2009-2010/2010-2011. We need him to stir the $h!t out there (though the hair pulling in particular was an embarrassment and something I'll always associate with Burrows).

Big players that play big but we don't have any? Bur is more willing to go to the hard areas and battle then anyone, it's more then just energy it's grit. Everyone on the team had a bad year I'm not so sure they "figured us out" as much as didn't play the game with the intensity we needed to. Lots going on in the room (Lou/kess) that were sure to be messing with the teams chemistry.

Burrows main strength when going to the tough areas was timing. He still gets pushed around or pushed off of the puck. With other teams dealing with the Sedins cycle better, Burrows is getting beat down for nothing on many occasions because he can't hold his position once he gets insde the hashmarks. Bigger players can battle in there, giving the Sedins more time to make a play.

If you get rid of Kes, you definately should be cautious to get rid of burrows. Much like Kes is a versatile do it all center, Burrows is our versatile do it all winger. He can play anywhere in the top 9, left wing, or right wing. Discarding last year, he is one of our most consistent scorers, as well as a workhorse. He has chemistry with the sedins, and from what we have seen in a short period time, Jensen too. Burrows and Kes are out 2 top penalty killers. You can't just get rid of both in the same year without a plan to replace them

Burrows main strength when going to the tough areas was timing. He still gets pushed around or pushed off of the puck. With other teams dealing with the Sedins cycle better, Burrows is getting beat down for nothing on many occasions because he can't hold his position once he gets insde the hashmarks. Bigger players can battle in there, giving the Sedins more time to make a play.

We don't have any big player that play the game you speak of, it's not all about size intensity is more important. It would be great to have a big skilled player with high intensity but we just don't have any and they are hard to come by.

I totally disagree,he is ready to take over for Burrows,,its his time...Burrows is 3rd line material or trade bait in my books...I hope the new powers that be realize that instead of playing him on the 1st and 2nd lines...

Zack should be 2nd line this year if all goes well and he has a good camp..gawd,, he is one of our future players..give the kid a break.

Give the kid another year on the third, he has growing yet to do and his game is not ready for the matchups he'd get on the first or second line. You need to give the kid a break and chill out and let him develop on a line he gets a better matchup on.

You speak as if "younger" guarantees more success. It does not.

That's the new catch phrase and fan marketing: "younger guarantees better". But you may not getting someone with the hand/eye that he has. The willingness to take abuse in front of the net. The ability to come through when needed. These are all things that have been demonstrated by Burr. A young guy has to prove himself and may not.

People say a lot about points, and it's true, points win hockey games.

But Burr is one of those guys who can "Get points" even if he isn't getting them himself.

If Burr is causing a stir in front of the net for a couple of shifts, gets knocked around by their d-man, but is creating the traffic in front, it can cause a distraction. And you know that he's chirping the whole time. If he can get a goalie thinking about him, instead of the play, for even a fraction of a second, that can be the difference between a goal and a save.

Yes, goalies, especially at the NHL level are professional. But they're still human. Same with the d-men. If he's taking all the heat from one of their top D-men (especially when playing with the Sedins), that leaves one of Henrik or Daniel to fend off their only other D-man. So again, Burr might get no points on a scoring play by simply standing on the opposite side of the Sedins, and creating space by "being somewhere".

He needs to be healthy to play that role. If he gets and stays healthy this season, he'll bounce back. It's not like his talent has suddenly gone missing, and his work ethic, even last year, was still there.

I'll always be a Sedin fan. But Gillis f'd up and made it near impossible to have a realistic Cup run with a lot of his moves.

The Sedins are going to be asked to provide 1st line points once again and unless they catch some magic in a winger (which they have in the past of course) they won't be able to sustain that level throughout the season and into a deep playoff run. Without a legitmate scoring threat from the Canucks 2nd and 3rd lines, it's too easy for teams to hone in on shutting down the Sedins.

Asking this core of players to have a big season is not realistic cause we've seen the struggles over the last few seasons. And now you can add no Lui or Schneider into the mix. So, if the team is gonna get the younger players to take on bigger roles this season, which I think they should, then asking them to come together instantly and have a great year and a deep playoff run with a new head coach thrown in as well is asking a bit much. Wouldn't you agree?

I agree 100%. There is nothing wrong with your logic. How about this scenerio. Moving the Sedins down a line and establishing a very competitive #1 line, through the trade process and some youth may be a possibility as well. Kesler would be the key to getting a gem first liner. That takes pressure off the Sedins but keeps them formidable with second line scoring.

I believe both Sedins will have a bounce back year next season. I also know some will argue they are being paid too much to be second liners but does that really matter if a scenerio like that works. If our first two lines are scoring, who really cares what they are being paid. I want goals and wins and I don't give a damn how that is achieved as long as it happens.

My butt may be out in left field with the above proposal but would it hurt to try something new with the Sedins in an exhibition game or two just to see how it would work. If it doesn't work revert back to the old plan. You still have the players you traded for but are still exposing some youth for a change.

Give the kid another year on the third, he has growing yet to do and his game is not ready for the matchups he'd get on the first or second line. You need to give the kid a break and chill out and let him develop on a line he gets a better matchup on.

and Burrows is..I dont get that at all...Burrows will be an after thought in 2 years . Lets move on and change this old home on the sunny side of the creek.

Kassian may end up on the 3rd this year...but I also think he is ready for the second.

I would like to see the Canucks get rid of Kesler, Burrows, Hansen and Shroeder...give the kids a chance..if we arent going to be able to compete for 2-3 years..now is the time.

We talk about the core being stale...well lets get rid of half of it..this is a biz also.

I agree 100%. There is nothing wrong with your logic. How about this scenerio. Moving the Sedins down a line and establishing a very competitive #1 line, through the trade process and some youth may be a possibility as well. Kesler would be the key to getting a gem first liner. That takes pressure of the Sedins but keeps them formidable with second line scoring. I know some will argue they are being paid too much to be second liners but does that really matter if a scenerio like that works. If our first two lines are scoring, who really cares what they are being paid.

My butt may out in left field with the above proposal but would it hurt to try something new with the Sedins in an exhibition game or two just to see how it would work. If it doesn't work revert back to the old plan. You still have the players you traded for but are still exposing some youth for a change.

I've said that at this stage of their career, the Sedins need to be 2nd line players. Yes, they can still play 1st line but they can no longer carry the load. So as 1st liners, they could have a bounce back year and put up some big points and entertain as usual. But I doubt they can carry that into the playoffs and take this team anywhere.

Establishing a 1st line or a legitimate 2nd line (kinda like a 1a,1b scenario) is where we agree. If Gillis hadn't of screwed up, he would of got at least 1 perhaps, 2 potential top line guys if he handled Luo and Schneider right among other moves. With the cap, I doubt he would of been able to pull 2 1st liners into the lineup.

The perfect scenario for the canucks imo, would be to have a younger, established 1st line to share the minutes (again, a 1a 1b scenario) with the Sedins. This would give them some more room cause they wouldnt be up against the top Dmen every shift, every night.

This is 100% untrue. Ever seen him in front of the net? That's nothing to do with "timing", he battles hard there and gets crosschecked and hammered but stands in there. Watch closer.

and Burrows is..I dont get that at all...Burrows will be an after thought in 2 years . Lets move on and change this old home on the sunny side of the creek.

Kassian may end up on the 3rd this year...but I also think he is ready for the second.

I would like to see the Canucks get rid of Kesler, Burrows, Hansen and Shroeder...give the kids a chance..if we arent going to be able to compete for 2-3 years..now is the time.

It appears some feel a 32 - 35 year old player is beyond the age capable of playing in the NHL. Come now, let's not get ridiculous. A player at that age is not a spring chicken but he is also not over the hill either. Google some of the older players in the NHL who are still giving their team a good bang for their buck. It will prove my point.

It appears some feel a 32 - 35 year old player is beyond the age capable of playing in the NHL. Come now, let's not get ridiculous. A player at that age is not a spring chicken but he is also not over the hill either. Google some of the older players in the NHL who are still giving their team a good bang for their buck. It will prove my point.

I dont feel age has anything to do with it at all...Burr could have an outstanding year.....but lets get real..does he deserve a NTC....nope..teams should be able to play the best players at anyone position..Burr doesnt look so good lately..time to move on and get some new energy...I have always liked Burrows,, but I am tired of seeing him on the 1st and 2nd line..he shouldnt be there.....I said he is a solid 3rd liner...what more do you want?

We talk about the core being stale...well lets get rid of half of it..this is a biz also.

The team needs a shake up but I'd stop short of passing on our hardest working player on the team, trading kesler and establishing an second line is the shakeup we need. But may drop to the second line if we find a player that fits better with the twins but as of now that player in not part of the team (Jensen in a few years?). You want to put a floater in his place just because he has more size even though he doesn't use it? I'm not trying to bash kass here he is starting to show some upside but his work ethic is still no place close to a top six player, give him a few years to earn his stripes. The match ups in the top six would kill him in the defensive zone and drag the line down. I find you kind of insane wanting to dump one of our best players because he had ONE off year, if he has another off year we can talk a little more till then zip it.

Archived