The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Assets

Well, to the many CDC posters that have read my posts, I apoligize for the many trade posts. What I have been trying to put out there in my own way, is that we have many good assets, and really it is how we use them that will dictate how long and how fast we move through the bottom third of the league.What I will try to put forth now is a consolidated post that points out the very difficult task at hand.

#1. Cap space: With the rise in cap, the removal of Booth, and the possible departure of Kesler, we will have more that enough cap space to resign our RFA's and pick up a couple of UFA'd if that is the right thing to do. But that is the question isn't it, should we?

#2. Veterans to trade: Yes, there is alot of NTC's, but it hasn't stopped Kessler from demanding a trade, that goes both ways, and TL needs to recognize that. The question is when do we move them? What is their Value? My list of Assets are as follows:

H. Sedin.......will retire a Canuck

D. Sedin.......will retire a Canuck

R. Kesler......................................will be traded before the 2014 draft

C. Higgins....................................will be traded, great trading chip for 2014-2015 deadline

A. Burrows...................................will be traded, deadline of 2014-2015...it's now or never!

Y. Hansen....................................will be traded, he is replaceable

J. Shroeder..................................will be traded, he redundant

B. Richardson..............................will be traded

D. Hanhuis....will be held for years before considering being traded

K. Bieska......should retire a Canuck

J. Garrison...................................will be traded 2015 deadline

A. Edler........................................will be traded next year at the earliest, his value is too low now

C. Tanev......................................will be traded possibly this year because of everyones elses NTC

#3. Draft Picks:

2014-6th overall........best position in a long time to be able to move up enough in the draft

2014-36th overall......should keep, we need to draft another Dman

2014-66th overall......movable

2015-1st round..........The Canucks should still be in the lower 1/3..........possible 4 to 12....keep

2015-2nd round.........should keep and use in a deep draft

2015-3rd round..........should keep and use in a deep draft

2016-1st round..........could be used to move up in either 2014-2015 or 2015-2016

2016-2nd round.........movable

2016-3rd round..........movable

The questions I would be asking if I were Linden are:

#1. How fast should we move towards the upper end of the league (Immediately or within 2 years)

#2. After our decision on question #1, should we just hold our #6 pick and wait and see who falls, or should we go after Reinhart now because we won't get that close again? (I say go for it!)

#3. Should we be open to consolidating our 2015 and 2016 1st round picks if the option presents itself at the draft of 2015 to move up again to pick a higher end player in a deep draft?

Note* #3 should be discussed now in the form of longer term planning....the question is where do we see ourselves in the 2016 season.....if low maybe keep, if we think we will be higher, look for a bottom feeder who thinks we will still be low in 2016

Conclussion: We are our own masters, with the extra cap, our owners ability to spend to the cap limit, our 2014 draft position, the ability to consolidate our picks, Keslers trade request, the movement of veterans for extra picks, we should be healthy and stronger within a very short time. It is my opinion that we should always go for quality over quanity. Except in cases like Keslers, which I believe could be a long term bonus.

5 more sleeps to the draft!

Thanks for Reading!........just remember I try! I really do! LOL

Deap

lol

i would rather wait to get up to the top of the league because i don't want to rush prospects or pull off risky moves.

Thing is, you can't aquire top end young talent at the top of the league as a rule, not true elite talent. I just read through a post about season ticket holders, and they are saying they won't come if the Talent isn't there. As much as I agree with you, waiting for 3 to 4 years for later 1st round picks to develope, isn't in their vocabulary....they want it now!!!!

So, my answer to that is consolidate picks, aka quality or quanity, and buying the best UFA's you can, as well as trading some older vets to suppliment your drafting......after all Montral did it through the 70's and won a few cup doing it at other teams expense...

PS.....I got 3 of the "deaps" out of there.........where the heck is the spell check?.....not bad though! LOL

R. Kesler......................................will be traded before the 2014 draft

C. Higgins....................................will be traded, great trading chip for 2014-2015 deadline

A. Burrows...................................will be traded, deadline of 2014-2015...it's now or never!

Y. Hansen....................................will be traded, he is replaceable

J. Shroeder..................................will be traded, he redundant

B. Richardson..............................will be traded

D. Hanhuis....will be held for years before considering being traded

J. Garrison...................................will be traded 2015 deadline

A. Edler........................................will be traded next year at the earliest, his value is too low now

C. Tanev......................................will be traded possibly this year because of everyones elses NTC

Kesler-Yes, he should be traded.

Higgins-Only if a roster spot needs to open up for a young guy, but I'd rather trade a guy like Hansen first.

Burrows-Now or never? Are you kidding me? This would be the absolute worst time to trade Burrows.

Hansen-Yes, I'd rather get guys like Horvat in the bottom 6.

Schroeder-Not that important, maybe swapping him for another project.

Richardson-He had the best FO% for the Canucks and I think he had the most defensive zone starts for forwards on the Canucks. It would be stupid to trade him, whether we tank or not.

Hamhuis-Unless the Canucks can get a really solid prospect he shouldn't be moved.

Garrison-I'd rather move him out now, him or Edler needs to go. I'd rather keep Edler.

Edler-Who says we have to move him then?

Tanev-Only if a really good pick/prospect is coming back.

Still, you don't trade the whole team.

Kesler-Yes, he should be traded.

Higgins-Only if a roster spot needs to open up for a young guy, but I'd rather trade a guy like Hansen first.

Burrows-Now or never? Are you kidding me? This would be the absolute worst time to trade Burrows.

Hansen-Yes, I'd rather get guys like Horvat in the bottom 6.

Schroeder-Not that important, maybe swapping him for another project.

Richardson-He had the best FO% for the Canucks and I think he had the most defensive zone starts for forwards on the Canucks. It would be stupid to trade him, whether we tank or not.

Hamhuis-Unless the Canucks can get a really solid prospect he shouldn't be moved.

Garrison-I'd rather move him out now, him or Edler needs to go. I'd rather keep Edler.

Edler-Who says we have to move him then?

Tanev-Only if a really good pick/prospect is coming back.

Still, you don't trade the whole team.

No you are right, you don't trade the whole team at once, and you leave some level headed ones to guard the nursery, but you don't wait until they are so damned old they can't bend over to do their skates, either.

My point is you bring in 2 or 3 UFA's and move out some of your vet's. That is why H.Sedin and Daniel Sedin, Jensen, Kassian, Matthais, Hanhuis, Edler, and the Goalies stay around for a while or retire here. With Gillis and Co screwing things up here, there are some drastic things that need to be done, if you wait you loose time and developement. We will have players pushing for spots next year IMO and I would not be surprised to see a couple of rookies come in, not to mention one of the players that Keslers return is suposed to bring back is suposed to be a current roster player.

Maybe you do wait until the draft to pick up some plums, but I wouldn't. Remember Corrado, Archiebald and Lain have all come up for a coffee....they could easly fill in until the end of the season if needed. If we are in the thick of things and contending for a playoff spot, then don't wait a year...point is to have a plan, which I am sure they do...it will be fun to watch it unfold, so far so good!

PS...as for Richardson, yes he was good...but easy to replace in the summer, if you trade him at the deadline to a team that really wants that 4th line grinder, who can win faceoffs. He is the type of player that could bring you a 2015-2nd rounder...wouldn't that be nice!

Cheers......good points!

Archived