The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/06/30-thoughts-nhl-free-agents-reluctant-to-commit-early.html

4. One team that has definitely made an offer? Vancouver. I believe it included their first pick in this draft (which is sixth overall) and Hunter Shinkaruk, who was taken 24th in 2013. There was at least one other piece, probably off the main roster, but I can't pin it down. It's not Ryan Kesler, who won't go there.

On Kesler

5. The Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch reported Kesler would only go to Chicago or Pittsburgh. I don't think the list is a long one, but it does include Anaheim.

6. Interesting scenario of the week: Will the Canucks and Kesler work towards a three-way deal that gets Kesler where he wants to go if Vancouver can't find a match with one of his preferred destinations?

Posted this somewhere else on CDC.

Trade Kesler to Anaheim for the 10th and 24th.

Trade the 10th and 24th along with Schroeder (who may never play on this team) for the 1st.

Kesler goes to a destination he wanted, we get what we wanted.

And we keep our 6th.

No no no no no no no.

Keep the 6th. Shinkaruk will be an absolute stud and he loves being a Canuck. Look at his twitter page, all he does is talk to Canucks prospects and talk about the Canucks.

He's the type of guy who will stick with this team for a long time. And he's got plenty of skill to boot.

Keep the 6th. Take Ehlers or Nylander, keep shinkaruk.

I'm not buying it, and don't think moving up 5 spots is worth it. Shinkaruk and a a roster player as well as the pick would be too heavy a price - the 6th overall could be a hell of a player, and may even turn out to be better than the top couple picks.

Don't like the hype.

If the point is to drive prices up for other teams, then fine.

No no no no no no no.

Keep the 6th. Shinkaruk will be an absolute stud and he loves being a Canuck. Look at his twitter page, all he does is talk to Canucks prospects and talk about the Canucks.

He's the type of guy who will stick with this team for a long time. And he's got plenty of skill to boot.

Keep the 6th. Take Ehlers or Nylander, keep shinkaruk.

That but I would take Draisaitl, MDC who ever falls or Ehlers. Nylander is too risky.

6th, roster player (Garrison, Hansen, Tanev) in that order, and Gaunce

Draft Reinhart if we trade Kesler, then draft a defenseman (Fleury)

I'm not a fan if this is true. Shinkaruk has the highest ceiling out of any of our prospects. If you trade him then you don't package the 6th overall in my opinion.

If it takes him and the 6th overall then it is an overpayment, especially since there is no clear cut #1 in this draft. There is a chance that #6 may in fact be a better NHLer than #1 in 7 years times.

If this is true, then these are the type of deals that make or break a franchise for the coming years. High Risk Move, but is the Reward high enough? Im not so sure.

Archived