The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ekblad or Reinhart?

Ekblad or Reinhart  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are a few reports that the Canucks have offered a trade for the #1 overall pick. Should Florida accept it, who would we pick? Both are good ol' Canadian kids (as per Don Cherry) but I think if we get the #1 we should take Ekblad. He'll be a #1 defenceman for a loooong time.

It should be a no brainer. Ekblad all the way. By far the most NHL caliber player in this draft. I really don't see any of the other "top 5" making any immediate impact in the NHL and don't really see any of them other than Ekblad being a "star". Sure these kids are all very talented but I just don't see any of them being a player that can be a "franchise" type player or number one center. Ekblad has all the tools to be a number 1 defenceman.

Sure the Canucks need help scoring goals NOW but no chance is Reinhart, Bennett, Draisatl, etc. going to make that big of a difference right away. Truthfully, all of these players (Ekblad) included should not be playing in the NHL for the Canucks next year (if they were picked by the Canucks).

If you take a look at the Canucks defense, this is where we will need the most help in a few years. All of the core defense (minus Tanev) are all around 30 years old. Last year everyone was complaining about how slow and old the defense looked. Soon enough we are going to need replacements. I am not entirely sold that Corrado, Hutton, Subban will make any sort of impact for the Canucks in the upcoming years.

If the Canucks trade for the 1st overall they have to take Ekblad.

Garrison, Hamhuis , Bieksa - all close or over the age of 30

Need blue chip defenseman prospect badly.

Tanev, Corrado, Stanton wont cut it as top 4 in the future and canucks havent had a real franchise defenseman in a long time.

If canucks get #1, draft Ekblad.

(But hey, Reinhart aint a bad pick either.)

It should be a no brainer. Ekblad all the way. By far the most NHL caliber player in this draft. I really don't see any of the other "top 5" making any immediate impact in the NHL and don't really see any of them other than Ekblad being a "star". Sure these kids are all very talented but I just don't see any of them being a player that can be a "franchise" type player or number one center. Ekblad has all the tools to be a number 1 defenceman.

Sure the Canucks need help scoring goals NOW but no chance is Reinhart, Bennett, Draisatl, etc. going to make that big of a difference right away. Truthfully, all of these players (Ekblad) included should not be playing in the NHL for the Canucks next year (if they were picked by the Canucks).

If you take a look at the Canucks defense, this is where we will need the most help in a few years. All of the core defense (minus Tanev) are all around 30 years old. Last year everyone was complaining about how slow and old the defense looked. Soon enough we are going to need replacements. I am not entirely sold that Corrado, Hutton, Subban will make any sort of impact for the Canucks in the upcoming years.

If the Canucks trade for the 1st overall they have to take Ekblad.

This. What's the saying? Defense wins championships.

Ekblad and Reinharts ceiling IMO are Weber and Toews.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Burrows Kesler/FA (Stastny) *Reinhart Jensen

Higgins Richardson Horvat

Sestito Matthias Santorelli

Shinkaruk, Fox, Gaunce, Cassels

Hamhuis *Ekblad

Edler Garrison

Bieksa Tanev/Stanton/Corrado

Future

Hamhuis *Ekblad

Edler Tanev/Corrado

Cederholm Bieksa

Stanton, Subban

Excited for draft day and the future!

Well it depends what's in the package. Unless we give up like Garrison and Tanev or something, than I'm going with Reinhart. Forwards adjust easier and offense is what we need. Go for a defencman next year. Especially if Kesler wants out. I'm assuming Bo is going to try and fill his defensive and PK void, but we still need someone to try and fill his offensive void and another man on the power play

It's a tough call, as Reinhart is a hometown boy and will end up being a 1st line C, which the team needs in the prospect pool.

Ekblad looks to be the real deal and will likely become the cornerstone of any franchise.

If Van ends up with the #10, I think I go for Ekblad. If not, then it's Reinhart all the way.

Definitely Ekblad. We haven't had the chance to draft an elite defenseman since the 90's and Ohlund. Getting a player like this via trade will cost us a ton of cap space & roster players/picks. And we currently have zero D prospects that are possibly top pairing types

I like Reinhart. He has skill poise and intangibles to make him a force in the NHL. He could very well be a franchise centre.

That being said, we have centres in the system that could very well make the roster.

The Canucks have never had a #1 defenseman that can play in all situations and provide secondary offense. All teams that have won the Stanley cup as far as I can recall have that one key piece. Not to mention a NHL ready D man opens the door to move another for a forward in return.

I like Reinhart, a lot.

But if I had the first overall, I'm picking Ekblad.

I feel like I've been generally disappointed in majority of the highly ranked dmen in the past drafts. Since 2006 (i just picked this year since that's how long I've been following the drafts) I've heard of these can't miss #1 franchise dmen with floors of being a #2 in Johnson, Hedman, Doughty, Larsson, Murray and Jones. Outside of Doughty I really don't think any of them (granted some haven't in the league for very long)were really deserving of where they were picked. Yes this happens with forwards too but it seems to be with less frequency.

Archived