The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does Benning want Reinhart so much?

CynideSnipe

His game I agree is not the most flashiest among the big guns this year.

Not a great skater or amazing shot or overall skill more good at a little bit of everything.

Cerebral type of player who is reliable and steps up when it counts but won't wow with anything.

Good hockey IQ knows where and when to go around the net to pounce on scoring opportunities.

Has good vision and makes his line mates better. Can either set up guys or finish and has a solid NHL defensive game.

He has a chance to step in right away and would help the Canucks both short-term in the top six and long term as the potential #1 center.

Will make an immediate impact on the power play with his poise and intelligence. Overall, he plays a more mature game when compared against his peers.

Ehlers or Nylander would be a more sexier pick because of their speed and skill.

We should get both

Trade 1

Trade Kesler to anahiem for 10 24 and smith pelley

Trade 2

Trade 6 and Tanev and Guance to Florida for #1

Trade 3

Trade 10 24 Corrado to Buffalo for #2

In Reinhart Ekblad Smith-Pelley

Out Kesler 6 Tanev Corrado Guance

Or trade 4

Grab 1st and Campbell from them for our 2nd and third and Sauve and pray they take it.

Says which analyst?

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=455555

And where MacKinnon, Barkov and Drouin were projected as first-line forwards and Jones was projected a likely No. 1 defenceman – destined for greatness -- this year's crop of forwards is projected more as second liners with defenceman Ekblad perhaps getting "top pairing" billing though not necessarily a future dynamic No. 1. Good, maybe very good, but not necessarily great.

Ekblad is the best D in this draft but he's not going to the best in the NHL at any point. Seth jones dropped to 4 last year and he's better than Ekblad.

PK, Pietrangelo, Jones, Sutter, Doughty are all on different levels then Ekblad. Look how Ritchie man handled him last season.

Saying Seth Jones is better is debatable. Hard to say Doughty is on a different level. If you compare their junior years, Doughty was definitely not on a different level. They were very similar. If Ekblad was in last year's draft, he would've went top 5 for sure.

We should get both

Trade 1

Trade Kesler to anahiem for 10 24 and smith pelley

Trade 2

Trade 6 and Tanev and Guance to Florida for #1

Trade 3

Trade 10 24 Corrado to Buffalo for #2

In Reinhart Ekblad Smith-Pelley

Out Kesler 6 Tanev Corrado Guance

Actually not a bad Idea. If we get Anaheims 10th, then I'm sure they either Florida or Buffalo would at lead entertain the possibility of trading down. I actually like these proposals. I'd even still be willing to throw in some more players to get that deal done. Throw in Schroeder, or Hansen, or whoever. It would be awesome to walk out with both

Actually not a bad Idea. If we get Anaheims 10th, then I'm sure they either Florida or Buffalo would at lead entertain the possibility of trading down. I actually like these proposals. I'd even still be willing to throw in some more players to get that deal done. Throw in Schroeder, or Hansen, or whoever. It would be awesome to walk out with both

Buffalo is not going to give up the 2nd overall for the 10th and 24th pick and Corrado right now is probably equal to a low 2nd pick.

I think Pouliot will be a better Dman then Ekblad, so use the 1st pick to get Reinhart, and get Pouliot and 1st from Pitts for Kesler

I see Ekblad being like a Brent Seabrook, and Pouliot like Doughty.. Ekblad is a man child and dominated in the OHL because of that.. I don't think he has nearly the same success in the NHL with players who match his strength

I think Pouliot will be a better Dman then Ekblad, so use the 1st pick to get Reinhart, and get Pouliot and 1st from Pitts for Kesler

I see Ekblad being like a Brent Seabrook, and Pouliot like Doughty.. Ekblad is a man child and dominated in the OHL because of that.. I don't think he has nearly the same success in the NHL with players who match his strength

I can see him ending up more like Brent Burns

Next year is the big draft not this year, so why we are going all in this year is just stupid. If the Canucks do end up doing somewhat well during the season, we will be moving a lot of players to move up in the draft. If this team tanks, which I highly doubt will happen, they will get lucky for the draft, but I don't think it will happen.

There's a D-man projected to be an elite number 1 every year. Most years they don't pan out.

Just last year it was "Mackinnon vs Jones".

Jones was projected to go first or second. Colorado ended up taking Mackinnon and Jones dropped to 4th. I don't think any GM would take Jones over Mackinnon at this point.

Like I said, top D-men are much easier to draft in the second or third round than forwards. Better go with the odds and take the forward. There's a reason why Doughty's and Pronger's don't come around that often.

Are you saying Jones "didn't pan out"? Lol. He's still crazy young and had moments of great play last year.

Honestly I'd love one of Reino or Ekblad. One two punch of Horvat and Reino is synonymous with Hank and Kes. With more leadership value, potentially. Kes seems really introverted or quiet. But I'm not in the lockerroom so I could be dead wrong.

Ekblad could be the #1 d-man we've never really had. A lot of top tier teams have a guy like him that plays all 3 zones and is dominant. And we don't have any true top 4 d-man prospects. Corrado seems top 6 and Cederholm might be Bieksa 2.0. Not bad but we need offence from the back end.

Right now we need a #1 center and #1 defenceman, but that top line center is far more pressing. Tanev, Edler, Corrado and our veterans Hamhuis/Bieksa/Garrison are still capable of playing big minutes, whereas Kesler is on his way out, Horvat is still unproven and the Sedins are on the decline.

As fantastic as Ekblad will be, our defence is pretty much set for the time being, but we have a huge gaping hole at center. In say 3 years time (when Ekblad or Reinhart would be full time NHLers), our defencemen will still be capable of playing big minutes. Tanev will be eating up 20+ minutes, Corrado will be a 20 minute man, Edler will still be a top-4 defenceman and Hamhuis/Bieksa/Garrison will still be quite capable. However, in 3 years I don't see the Sedins as first line players.

Right now we need a #1 center and #1 defenceman, but that top line center is far more pressing. Tanev, Edler, Corrado and our veterans Hamhuis/Bieksa/Garrison are still capable of playing big minutes, whereas Kesler is on his way out, Horvat is still unproven and the Sedins are on the decline.

As fantastic as Ekblad will be, our defence is pretty much set for the time being, but we have a huge gaping hole at center. In say 3 years time (when Ekblad or Reinhart would be full time NHLers), our defencemen will still be capable of playing big minutes. Tanev will be eating up 20+ minutes, Corrado will be a 20 minute man, Edler will still be a top-4 defenceman and Hamhuis/Bieksa/Garrison will still be quite capable. However, in 3 years I don't see the Sedins as first line players.

Tanev likely to be dealt, if a deal to move up can be arranged..

Drafting a forward over a dman makes more sense for Van because it is less risky. Depth in the org is not there! I expect a Kesler trade prior to the draft so depending on what comes back the choices could change. Other than goaltending the toughest position to play in the NHL is defense. Teams can wait for young dmen to mature and then make a play for what they need. Highly unlikely you

get a Norris quality dman unless you are Minny and scoop up Suter. Mind you Nashville would have matched except for the CAP.

Hang on fans the next few days should be very interesting!

Ekblad is the best D in this draft but he's not going to the best in the NHL at any point. Seth jones dropped to 4 last year and he's better than Ekblad.

PK, Pietrangelo, Jones, Sutter, Doughty are all on different levels then Ekblad. Look how Ritchie man handled him last season.

Jones played on a stacked Portland team. Barrie went all-in last year, and lost all of their good players in Ekblad's draft year.

Jones had a good rookie season in the NHL and Ekblad is more NHL ready physcially than Jones. Plus his shot is already at the NHL level. Defensively they are just as good, with maybe an edge to Jones offensively (playmaking, puck moving).

One way I would pick Reinhart over Ekblad, is having that 10th and 24th from Anaheim to target Fleury at #10 and Sanheim/Mckeown at #24.

I mean, I know that he's a hometown boy and all, and he could be a great 1st line centre. He cares about defense, and he has the potential to be a Kopitar/Begeron type of player. But, do we really need him? We already have Horvat who I am quite confident is going to be our legit 1st line centre. And Shinkaruk can play centre as well. Besides, I've looked into him, and I've watched quite a few videos on him now.. and I really don't see anything special in him. He's got a super high hockey IQ, but an average skater, decent hands, very good playmaking, but that's about it.

If we get the 1st overall pick from Florida, I would be dissapointed in JB if he didn't pick Ekblad. Ekblad is one of only 4 players ever to be granted exceptional status along with Sean Day (16), Connor McDavid (17), and John Tavares (23). Ekblad is going to be that lethal and critical Top 2 Norris worthy defenseman that teams win championships with. An exceedingly large number of people say that he plays just like Shea Weber. Huge Cannon of a shot. Great skater. Great at defense. Quarterbacking the PP. And provides offense as well. He as EVERYTHING. He has the body of a 28 year old and thinks like a 10 year vet. And at 6'4, 216 pounds, he's definetly going to step RIGHT into the core of the team from day one.

Let's do things the easy way. We instruct the team to get the first and second overall picks for 2014, and then have Benning draft Ekblad and Reinhart.:)

regards,

G.

Archived