The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does Benning want Reinhart so much?

CynideSnipe

The local chatter here in Buffalo is that Draisaitl could possibly be taken with the second pick instead of Reinhart if Ekblad goes first overall as expected. I personally have a hard time believing it so take it with a grain of salt. I personally think that Murray will take Reinhart if Ekblad gets chosen with the first pick.

Leon Draisaitl

Regular Season Playoffs

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM

2012-13 Prince Albert Raiders WHL 64 21 37 58 22 22 4 0 4 4 0

2013-14 Prince Albert Raiders WHL 64 38 67 105 24 7 -- -- -- --

Sam Reinhart

Regular Season Playoffs

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM

2010-11 Kootenay Ice WHL 4 2 0 2 0 4 7 0 0 0 0

2011-12 Kootenay Ice WHL 67 28 34 62 2 16 4 1 1 2 0

2012-13 Kootenay Ice WHL 72 35 50 85 22 8 5 0 1 1 4

2013-14 Kootenay Ice WHL 60 36 69 105 11 24 13 6 17 23 2

Not sure if this works, but Sam has technically played 4 years, but really it's 3. Draisaitl has played 2, and look at the points. They both are the same height 6'1, but Draisaitl has about 20 pounds more on Sam. In the video, you get to see Draisaitl and his strength on the puck, is pretty amazing, which is perfect for NHL readiness. It's still a tough choice, because they are both great players, but I just can't help but give the edge to Draisaitl

I think the better question is "Does Benning dislike Gillis' team". There are a lot of trade rumours and UFA signing rumours. More so then usual. Maybe it's just cause this team played so poorly last year who knows.

If he's smart which I think he is he can't like the team. On topic I think Reinhart is a heck of a player compared to the hit and miss players available in the 5-10 spots. As others have mentioned the only way in the world he's available is that Florida is stacked with a lot of these players already.

Was listening to Gord Stellic and Faye on hockey central and they were comparing the 2 Sam's. Said Bennet is the more physical and flashier player and a lot of people like that, said Reinhart is like the silent killer type with exceptional iq. He also said he screwed up at the draft big time by passing up on Joe Sakic who he sees Reinhart as a good comparison to.

Arguement about Ekblad is he dominated against smaller players, he's built like a man but is playing against boys, His ceiling isn't that high,

From what we've seen of Hrovat there is very little evidence to beleive he can be a number one center, Likely will be a top 6 forward/ 2nd line center.

I think with Reinhart they see a player in the mould of a jonathan toews, good at alot of things not great at any one thing, great leader. Obviously it's unlikely Reinhart developes into Toews, he is the second best player in the world, but if he can be a poor man's version of him, we got something. At the same age Toews was a similar player in size and style.

It's his two way game that is attractive to what benning wants to build, I think back to the Ryan Nugent Hopkins draft, Nuge was more flashy, but Landeskog played that tough playoff style game which is what you need to win in todays NHL.

We need both a top d and a top centre. With Kesler likely to be traded, the most pressing need is a dominant centre who is a franchise player like Reinhart.

Just because you have a #1 D doesn't mean you win a SC. Look at Nashville, they had Webber and Suter and never came close to winning a SC.

You actually think that Reinhart is a franchise player? HAHAHA. Franchise players are people like Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Tavares, McDavid and possiblely Toews. Those are real FRANCHISE players. Reinhart is not as good as any of those, and he never will be.

The more i think about it, the more id rather keep Hunter/ Tanev and our 6th pick and take a chance on Virtanen ( who is really excited about the chance of becoming a canuck )

I just dont see Reinhart being more valuable than 2 or the 3 i just mentioned. . .

Reinhart isn't even gonna go #1, it's gonna be Ekblad, then Bennett.

Dristial, Del Col and Reinhart are gonna be in the 3-5 mix, why on earth would we give up so much to get the first pick and draft the guy that's most likely gonna go 4th?!?!?!

For argument sake, let's just say we draft Virtanen at 6th. We are basically trading Tanev, Shinkurak and Virtanen for just Sam Reinhart?!?!?! That is a complete joke!!! The difference between Reinhart and Virtenan isn't that far off. Not tanev and shinkaruk!!!!!!!!

Makes absolutely no sense to me

Keep 6th draft Nylander

Trade Kes and get 10th pick as package

Draft Virtanen at 10th (if he's still there) or best player available.

Shinkaruk - Bo - Virtanen

Nylander - Mathasis - Jensen

I think the better question is "Does Benning dislike Gillis' team". There are a lot of trade rumours and UFA signing rumours. More so then usual. Maybe it's just cause this team played so poorly last year who knows.

Teams are judged in the playoffs. The regular season is for losers, ask the management in Pittsburgh. So the Canucks were bad LAST year? Try one playoff game won in 3 seasons to get a sense of how bad this roster is.

Reinhart isn't even gonna go #1, it's gonna be Ekblad, then Bennett.

Dristial, Del Col and Reinhart are gonna be in the 3-5 mix, why on earth would we give up so much to get the first pick and draft the guy that's most likely gonna go 4th?!?!?!

For argument sake, let's just say we draft Virtanen at 6th. We are basically trading Tanev, Shinkurak and Virtanen for just Sam Reinhart?!?!?! That is a complete joke!!! The difference between Reinhart and Virtenan isn't that far off. Not tanev and shinkaruk!!!!!!!!

Makes absolutely no sense to me

Keep 6th draft Nylander

Trade Kes and get 10th pick as package

Draft Virtanen at 10th (if he's still there) or best player available.

Shinkaruk - Bo - Virtanen

Nylander - Mathasis - Jensen

The difference between Reinhart and Virtanen isn't that much. they played head to head in the playoffs this year, go back and look at what happened.

The difference between Reinhart and Virtanen isn't that much. they played head to head in the playoffs this year, go back and look at what happened.

Virtanen was playing with 1 shoulder and ur gonna make ur decision based on one playoff round?? Micheal Grabner out scored Crosby during the Olympics.... So I guess Grabner is better in your opinion?

Is Reinhart worth Tanev, Shinkurak and Virtanen??

I'm not saying Virtanen is better then him, I'm saying he's not worth giving up on three young players that haven't even reached their prime yet. Not even close. And Tanev is a established top 4 puck moving D-man

The guys at TSN are saying Tallon is really keen on Ehlers. That's why he's so willing to trade his #1 pick. So I watched the Ehlers vid and I gotta say looks a lot better then Ritchie or Virtanen as far as raw talent, and he really does remind me of a Patric Kane/ Jonathan Toews.

I could see Benning taking Ehlers at 6 if one of the top 5 are not available at 6. If Tallon takes Ehlers at 1 then that leaves us one of the top 5. So win win.

Sure Ehlers is not gonna run you over like a train, its more like being passed on the freeway at 200kmh. Which just happens to be the Canuck game plan.

I don't think Trevor or Jim see the future of the Canucks involving Kesler. If you read the fine print They are rebuilding! Call it what you want but at the end of the day its a rebuild. BTW the Oilers are not rebuilding they don't know what there doing. No one else does either. lol

That means they need a center not named Kesler, Thus the interest in Reinhart.

If they manage to pick up #1 pick and trade Kesler acquiring #10. then maybe they don't have such a need for an Ehlers and go with one of the bigger guys or a Nylander, as Ehlers would be gone to Tallon at #6.

If we aquire the #10 and keep our #6 we could have Ehlers and a big guy.

If Kesler goes to Chicago then Terevainen most certainly would become ours, and we go with a big guy at 6 and keep all our prospects. Or we still go with Ehlers.

Any which way I think we got a good draft day coming up.

I think we will be happy any which way it goes down tomorrow.

NYtimes article

Like many Canadians, the brothers Max, Griffin and Sam Reinhart grew up playing hockey.

Their competitive nature came out during mini-stick hockey games at the family home in Vancouver, British Columbia, resulting in broken windows as the boys simulated playing together in the N.H.L., where their father, Paul, spent 11 seasons as a defenseman.

I think every kid at some point plays mini-stick hockey with the two nets, and then play against each other and usually have a friend or something over to make it two-on-two or play one-on-one with one goalie, Griffin, 20, said. Its a lot of fun, and I think its something, as you grow up, you obviously remember.

Sam, 18, is set to become the third Reinhart selected in five drafts on Friday, after Max (64th overall in 2010 by the Calgary Flames) and Griffin (fourth overall in 2012 by the Islanders).

Im pretty excited for that, Sam said. Saw it firsthand when Griffin was able to do that in Pittsburgh, and that was probably the first time I really started to visualize that.

Playing for the Kootenay Ice, Sam finished the 2013-14 regular season fifth in the Western Hockey League in points with 105 in 60 games. He added 23 points in 13 playoff games and won the leagues Player of the Year award.

He had a very good season this year, but he took his game to another level in the playoffs, said David Burstyn, the director of scouting for McKeens Hockey, which publishes an annual draft guide. Sam is arguably the smartest player in this years N.H.L. entry draft. He approaches the game very similarly to a Ron Francis type of player. He sees plays unfold well before his peers do.

McKeens and International Scouting Services ranked Sam, a 6-foot-1, 185-pound center, as No. 1 for the draft in Philadelphia. N.H.L. Central Scouting rated him third among North Americans.

He is one of 21 draft-eligible players with relatives that have previously gone through the process. Dominic Turgeon, the son of Pierre and nephew of Sylvain, will likely have his named called, as will Ryan MacInnis, son of Al. Others include Brendan Lemieux, son of Claude and nephew of Jocelyn; Josh Wesley, son of Glen; Daniel Audette, son of Donald; and Ryan Donato, son of Ted.

Griffin Reinhart, who has completed his final year of junior eligibility with the Edmonton Oil Kings of the W.H.L., said he and his brothers had not discussed much about a possible reunion in the N.H.L., even though the Flames and the Islanders hold top-five picks.

As a defenseman, Griffin got firsthand experience trying to contain Sam the last three seasons as they played in the same division.

Hes really smart, and his hockey sense is probably his biggest attribute, Griffin said. He makes a lot of defensemen in that league look like they shouldnt belong there. Hes really tough to contain, and I think hell continue that at the next level.

Sam has represented Canada twice at the under-18 world championship, winning gold in 2013, and at the 2014 world junior championship. He got a brief taste of the N.H.L. pace this spring when he was invited to the senior national teams world championship camp and dressed as an extra forward during an exhibition game.

It was pretty amazing to see just how I handled Practice 1 compared to Practice 3 and really picked up the pace, Sam said. I felt comfortable and pretty quick out there. Really turned out to be a positive experience, and its really paying off right now.

Projected as a two-way center, Sam needs to work on finding an extra gear in his skating, Burstyn said.

Paul Reinhart, who played 648 N.H.L. games in his career with Atlanta, Calgary and Vancouver, is proud of his sons success in hockey.

I think the best moment in any mans life or any fathers life is when his son surpasses his accomplishments, and theyre well on their way, if not already there, he said. In that respect, its been very satisfying.

Archived