The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does Benning want Reinhart so much?

CynideSnipe

Because Reinhart's draft year production is ins line with guys like: Hall, Tavares, Stamkos, Seguin, and MacKinnon. Point production in junior is the best predicator of NHL level success, and Reinhart's is by far the best out of all draft eligible forwards.

Not by far. Bennett is right up there with him, and Draisaitl is close behind.

Guest Dasein

Well, Horvat is a part of a decent team with three other 1st round picks from 2013.

Reinhart, on the other hand, is literally a man on an island on his Kootenay ice.

You swap the two players, and Kootenay might not make the playoffs, and London might have repeated as OHL champs.

So I think when you say Horvat could get the job done, you are reaching.

Ekblad is a very attractive pick though. If we do get the #1 pick from Florida, I would love to see us make a hockey trade with Buffalo where we get Tyler Myers + 2nd overall (Sam Reinhart) for a roster player/blue chip prospect + 1st overall (Aaron Ekblad). Myers is still young but needs a change of scenery, and he could become that elite defender under Willie Desjardins' guidance. Reinhart is clearly a cut above anybody we have in our prospect pool. I'm not sure if Buffalo would bite - it depends on the piece going back along with the 1st overall.

We should get both

Trade 1

Trade Kesler to anahiem for 10 24 and smith pelley

Trade 2

Trade 6 and Tanev and Guance to Florida for #1

Trade 3

Trade 10 24 Corrado to Buffalo for #2

In Reinhart Ekblad Smith-Pelley

Out Kesler 6 Tanev Corrado Guance

that third trade made me lol :frantic::frantic::frantic:

I think we need a #1 D-man more than 1st line forward. 1st line forwards/stars can be aquired via trades or free agency, etc. However, #1 D-men are almost impossible to aquire via trades and are very rarely availble in free agency. Defense wins championshops.

#1 D-men are also more often available in later rounds. I think Benning is of the same belief too. Which is why they came out and said they would be selecting a forward.

See Keith, Weber, Lidstrom ect.

Even if we can get the 10th overall from Anaheim to draft Fleury, I think he has the tools to be a top pairing D-man.

Reinhart and Fleury would put us well on our way to creating a contender.

We should get both

Trade 1

Trade Kesler to anahiem for 10 24 and smith pelley

Trade 2

Trade 6 and Tanev and Guance to Florida for #1

Trade 3

Trade 10 24 Corrado to Buffalo for #2

In Reinhart Ekblad Smith-Pelley

Out Kesler 6 Tanev Corrado Guance

If this works out, Benning for BC Premier. Christie Clark as to go.

#1 D-men are also more often available in later rounds. I think Benning is of the same belief too. Which is why they came out and said they would be selecting a forward.

See Keith, Weber, Lidstrom ect.

Even if we can get the 10th overall from Anaheim to draft Fleury, I think he has the tools to be a top pairing D-man.

Reinhart and Fleury would put us well on our way to creating a contender.

Nobody expected Keith, Weber or Lidstrom to be anywhere NEAR the kind of players they are. In fact, some didn't even expect them to make the NHL when they were a prospect, farless become elite defensemen. Those teams just lucked out when they picked those three, and maybe saw things in them that no one else saw. We can't just bank on late round suprises if were looking for a franchise defenseman.

Nobody expected Keith, Weber or Lidstrom to be anywhere NEAR the kind of players they are. In fact, some didn't even expect them to make the NHL when they were a prospect, farless become elite defensemen. Those teams just lucked out when they picked those three, and maybe saw things in them that no one else saw. We can't just bank on late round suprises if were looking for a franchise defenseman.

On the other hand, people expected players like E.Johnson, Hedman, Gudbranson, Barker, Bouwmeester, Jovanovski, Hamrlik, Phillips, and J.Johnson to be elite number 1 D-men. Guess what? None of them reached or likely will reach expectations.

History has shown, taking D-men in the top 3 is a big risk no matter how big and well they can skate.

Way more franchise D-men have been taken later in the first, or even in later rounds, than in the top 3.

If Ekblad is the consensus number 1 pick, then take a look at the list of number 2 picks from previous years:

Landeskog

Seguin

Van Riemsdyk

J.Staal

Ryan

Malkin

E.Staal

Spezza

Heatley

D.Sedin

Marleau

If history has shown anything, its that the number 2 rated players in drafts more often than not turn into elite players. Especially if they`re forwards. Number 1 ranked D-men on the other hand have a way lower chance of reaching their potential.

Reinhart projects to be a first line star. Something we`ll need just as much as a number 1 D-man, with Kesler on his way out, and Henrik getting closer to the end of his career.

I see your point but I still think since Ekblad is projected to be an elite Dman and there's LOTS of first line projected players in next year's draft I think we should go for Ekblad this year and snatch an elite center next year. We're in good position to get both so why not. You always have to look ahead and if we're not as crappy as next year as we were this year then we can always trade into the top 10.

I think Ekblad will live-up to his #1 ranking and billing,...but does anyone here still think that Tyler Myers can become... Zdeno Chara? Ha! Defensemen at the NHL level have pressures....that are hard to skirt & avoid. Ekblad is perhaps the only defensemen in this draft... that everyone can see transitioning early & excelling.

I have to admit, Reinhart is growing on me. I used to be of the mindset that centers are always available in every draft including this one w/ Bennett, Draisaitl, Dal Colle and Nylander. But Reinhart is unbelievable. I'm not sure he plays w/ any1 decent, but he still puts up incredible #'s. in both the regular season and continues this in the playoffs. Had he been playing on some stacked team, I think he would have closer to 150 points, no joke. He's played everywhere and has won basically everywhere. He was apparently called by 1 scout "the smartest player in the NHL."When he gets drafted of course. He doesn't have the physical gifts of other prospects, but he can play the game 5 plays ahead of every1 else.

The thing I am most intrigued by him is that he does all this, w/o playing w/ anybody good. Imagine if he played w/ Shinkaruk or something.

At the end of the day, you can't go wrong w/ Reinhart or Ekblad. But, if we move up to #1, expect the kid from West Van to be picked because there would be riots if we passed on the best ranked BC on the board.

I would personally offer the same if not very similar deal(s) to Buffalo, as I see Florida holding onto their pick and drafting Ekblad. If they do give it up and Ekblad isnt taken, then win win.

I see your point but I still think since Ekblad is projected to be an elite Dman and there's LOTS of first line projected players in next year's draft I think we should go for Ekblad this year and snatch an elite center next year. We're in good position to get both so why not. You always have to look ahead and if we're not as crappy as next year as we were this year then we can always trade into the top 10.

There's a D-man projected to be an elite number 1 every year. Most years they don't pan out.

Just last year it was "Mackinnon vs Jones".

Jones was projected to go first or second. Colorado ended up taking Mackinnon and Jones dropped to 4th. I don't think any GM would take Jones over Mackinnon at this point.

Like I said, top D-men are much easier to draft in the second or third round than forwards. Better go with the odds and take the forward. There's a reason why Doughty's and Pronger's don't come around that often.

On the other hand, people expected players like E.Johnson, Hedman, Gudbranson, Barker, Bouwmeester, Jovanovski, Hamrlik, Phillips, and J.Johnson to be elite number 1 D-men. Guess what? None of them reached or likely will reach expectations.

History has shown, taking D-men in the top 3 is a big risk no matter how big and well they can skate.

Way more franchise D-men have been taken later in the first, or even in later rounds, than in the top 3.

While it may be true that quite a few franchise D-men have been taken in the later rounds. Some have been taken in the top 5 aswell. Such as Doughty (2nd OVR), Pietangelo (4th OVR), Seth Jones (4th OVR) is going to be very good. Ryan Murray (2nd OVR) looks like he's going to be a very solid top 2 D-man, and Hedman (2nd OVR) is a very good D-man, and is going to be great in the future. I don't know why you listed him with people like Barker/Hamrlik.. Not to mention, under a good coach, Bogosian can be a really good 25min stay at home D-man.

Our #6 & Tanev to Edm for their #3.

We get one of Rhino, Bennett, or Draisatl. A #3 would be ok.

moving from 6'th to 3'rd should be a little easier than 1'st. Edmonton doesn't need another teenager they need vets and help on D. If somehow the Canucks could convoke a guy like Garrison to waive that would be a great trade. I'd also trade Tanev/Corrado but would perfer an older player.

6'th + Garrison or Tanev or Corrado or Gaunce for 3'rd overall

Ekblad at 1 Bennet at 2 canucks get Reinhart at 3

if not your choice of Draisati or Bennet would be pretty good

this would be an excellent deal if they could swing it

Archived