The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does Benning want Reinhart so much?

CynideSnipe

While it may be true that quite a few franchise D-men have been taken in the later rounds. Some have been taken in the top 5 aswell. Such as Doughty (2nd OVR), Pietangelo (4th OVR), Seth Jones (4th OVR) is going to be very good. Ryan Murray (2nd OVR) looks like he's going to be a very solid top 2 D-man, and Hedman (2nd OVR) is a very good D-man, and is going to be great in the future. I don't know why you listed him with people like Barker/Hamrlik.. Not to mention, under a good coach, Bogosian can be a really good 25min stay at home D-man.

We're talking "franchise D-men". Hedman and Murray aren't those. And we're talking top 3, not top5.

There's been more busts and D-men not reaching their potential, than elite franchise defensemen; which was my point.

Again, based on history Reinhart will be an elite first line center. Ekblad will go anywhere from a franchise D-man, to a good top 4 guy. People always hype up D-men as the next coming, but more often than not, it's just hype.

I mean, I know that he's a hometown boy and all, and he could be a great 1st line centre. He cares about defense, and he has the potential to be a Kopitar/Begeron type of player. But, do we really need him? We already have Horvat who I am quite confident is going to be our legit 1st line centre. And Shinkaruk can play centre as well. Besides, I've looked into him, and I've watched quite a few videos on him now.. and I really don't see anything special in him. He's got a super high hockey IQ, but an average skater, decent hands, very good playmaking, but that's about it.

If we get the 1st overall pick from Florida, I would be dissapointed in JB if he didn't pick Ekblad. Ekblad is one of only 4 players ever to be granted exceptional status along with Sean Day (16), Connor McDavid (17), and John Tavares (23). Ekblad is going to be that lethal and critical Top 2 Norris worthy defenseman that teams win championships with. An exceedingly large number of people say that he plays just like Shea Weber. Huge Cannon of a shot. Great skater. Great at defense. Quarterbacking the PP. And provides offense as well. He as EVERYTHING. He has the body of a 28 year old and thinks like a 10 year vet. And at 6'4, 216 pounds, he's definetly going to step RIGHT into the core of the team from day one.

Just because he doesnt have a flashy highlight vid?

Those are lofty expectations to put on Ekblad, not saying Reinhart>Ekblad

I like both, only thing is Dman develop differently than forwards

While it may be true that quite a few franchise D-men have been taken in the later rounds. Some have been taken in the top 5 aswell. Such as Doughty (2nd OVR), Pietangelo (4th OVR), Seth Jones (4th OVR) is going to be very good. Ryan Murray (2nd OVR) looks like he's going to be a very solid top 2 D-man, and Hedman (2nd OVR) is a very good D-man, and is going to be great in the future. I don't know why you listed him with people like Barker/Hamrlik.. Not to mention, under a good coach, Bogosian can be a really good 25min stay at home D-man.

First off, it is still too early to tell with Seth Jones, Ryan Murray, Bogosian or Hedman. Nobody today considers these people franchise dmen. That leaves literally 2 prospects since Pronger to be considered elite dmen. The other poster mentioned Barker/Hamrlik because they were highly rated as propects and were drafted in the top 3/5. The other issue with the potential franchise dmen is that it takes much longer to develop into those players. Even if Ekblad does become a franchise D it may not be until 24+.

Or if the Canucks get the #1 and want reinhart it would be smart to trade it to Edmonton who surely want Ekblad for the 3'rd overall plus their 2'nd rd pick or something more valuable.

canucks #1 overall + Hansen + 36'th overall for 3'rd overall + Yakupov?

that would be nice Horvat + Hansen + 6'th overall + 36'th overall for Yakupov & Reinhart

We're talking "franchise D-men". Hedman and Murray aren't those. And we're talking top 3, not top5.

There's been more busts and D-men not reaching their potential, than elite franchise defensemen; which was my point.

Again, based on history Reinhart will be an elite first line center. Ekblad will go anywhere from a franchise D-man, to a good top 4 guy. People always hype up D-men as the next coming, but more often than not, it's just hype.

Hedman could become a franchise D-man. And the reason why I expanded to top 5, is because there are alot of times when a D man has a good chance of going 1st, and then he doesn't infact go 1st, he normally doesn't drop right to #2. Since forwords are obviously the most popular position and teams are more likely to choose a top forward instead of a top D-man due to D-men not being as popular. For e.g, Seth Jones last year.

There's been 5 D-men taken 1st overall in the last 30 years.

Erik Johnson

Chris Phillips

Bryan Berard

Ed Jovanovski

Roman Hamrlik

There's only been one truly elite defenseman taken 1st overall in the last 50 years, and that was Denis Potvin in 1973.

If you truly believe Ekblad is such a rare player that he only comes up once every 40 years, then you're really buying into the hype too much.

First off, it is still too early to tell with Seth Jones, Ryan Murray, Bogosian or Hedman. Nobody today considers these people franchise dmen. That leaves literally 2 prospects since Pronger to be considered elite dmen. The other poster mentioned Barker/Hamrlik because they were highly rated as propects and were drafted in the top 3/5. The other issue with the potential franchise dmen is that it takes much longer to develop into those players. Even if Ekblad does become a franchise D it may not be until 24+.

I never said Jones, Murray, Bogosion, or Hedman to be franchise D-men right now. The only one I said has the potential to be franchise D-man is Hedman. I said Murray looks like he could be a "very solid" top 2 D-man, I said Jones is going to be "very good", and I said Bogosion can become a really good 25min pillar/stay at home D-man. I never said those were franchise D-men.

Hedman could become a franchise D-man. And the reason why I expanded to top 5, is because there are alot of times when a D man has a good chance of going 1st, and then he doesn't infact go 1st, he normally doesn't drop right to #2. Since forwords are obviously the most popular position and teams are more likely to choose a top forward instead of a top D-man due to D-men not being as popular. For e.g, Seth Jones last year.

Also this:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_23498256/nhl-draft-history-shows-why-defensemen-usually-arent

"Historically, D-men take longer to develop at the national level," said legendary former coach Scotty Bowman. "It's tougher to project where they'll be in five years, whereas a supremely skilled forward, you kind of know where they're headed."

There's been 5 D-men taken 1st overall in the last 30 years.

Erik Johnson

Chris Phillips

Bryan Berard

Ed Jovanovski

Roman Hamrlik

There's only been one truly elite defenseman taken 1st overall in the last 50 years, and that was Denis Potvin in 1973.

If you truly believe Ekblad is such a rare player that he only comes up once every 40 years, then you're really buying into the hype too much.

Yea exactly gooood sir :)

In 5 years, When Ekblad becomes the latest Norris Trophy Winner and Reinhart is still just a 60 pt guy, you can all look back at this thread. :/

Lol. Please share your crystal ball with us!

No Ekblad won't be a Norris winner. Please learn history. Drew Doughty hasn't even won the Norris.

I wish people would stop pretending they know exactly what players will become.

I mean, I know that he's a hometown boy and all, and he could be a great 1st line centre. He cares about defense, and he has the potential to be a Kopitar/Begeron type of player. But, do we really need him? We already have Horvat who I am quite confident is going to be our legit 1st line centre. And Shinkaruk can play centre as well. Besides, I've looked into him, and I've watched quite a few videos on him now.. and I really don't see anything special in him. He's got a super high hockey IQ, but an average skater, decent hands, very good playmaking, but that's about it.

If we get the 1st overall pick from Florida, I would be dissapointed in JB if he didn't pick Ekblad. Ekblad is one of only 4 players ever to be granted exceptional status along with Sean Day (16), Connor McDavid (17), and John Tavares (23). Ekblad is going to be that lethal and critical Top 2 Norris worthy defenseman that teams win championships with. An exceedingly large number of people say that he plays just like Shea Weber. Huge Cannon of a shot. Great skater. Great at defense. Quarterbacking the PP. And provides offense as well. He as EVERYTHING. He has the body of a 28 year old and thinks like a 10 year vet. And at 6'4, 216 pounds, he's definetly going to step RIGHT into the core of the team from day one.

There's your problem right there. If the whole basis of your argument for not taking Reinhart is that Bo will be our number 1 centre, then the whole argument is flawed.

Bo will not be a number 1 centre. Most who've watched him over the years and those who are paid to know such things say his maximum upside will be as a second line centre. These same pundits also believe that he'll likely settle into a third line centre role for a few years. Who really knows how he'll develop, but the reality is that all the numbers and stats used to predict these types of things suggest he will not be a number one centre.

There's your problem right there. If the whole basis of your argument for not taking Reinhart is that Bo will be our number 1 centre, then the whole argument is flawed.

Bo will not be a number 1 centre. Most who've watched him over the years and those who are paid to know such things say his maximum upside will be as a second line centre. These same pundits also believe that he'll likely settle into a third line centre role for a few years. Who really knows how he'll develop, but the reality is that all the numbers and stats used to predict these types of things suggest he will not be a number one centre.

Shinkaruk can also play centre.

No Ekblad won't be a Norris winner. Please learn history. Drew Doughty hasn't even won the Norris.

If you read my post closely, you will see that I said "in 5 years" In other words, Doughty will mostlikely win a Norris within those 5 years, until Ekblad becomes that superstar D-man.

Should we leave that to an expert like you?

Archived