186 replies to this topic

#61 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

In 5 years, When Ekblad becomes the latest Norris Trophy Winner and Reinhart is still just a 60 pt guy, you can all look back at this thread. :/

Ekblad is the best D in this draft but he's not going to the best in the NHL at any point.  Seth jones dropped to 4 last year and he's better than Ekblad.

PK, Pietrangelo, Jones, Sutter, Doughty are all on different levels then Ekblad.  Look how Ritchie man handled him last season.

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat, 23 June 2014 - 09:25 PM.

#62 jejejester

jejejester

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:27 PM

Ekblad is the best D in this draft but he's not going to the best in the NHL at any point.  Seth jones dropped to 4 last year and he's better than Ekblad.

PK, Pietrangelo, Jones, Sutter, Doughty are all on different levels then Ekblad.  Look how Ritchie man handled him last season.

That's why I don't see Ekblad as a true #1 D I think he will be a #2 but never a truly elite #1 defenseman

#63 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

In 5 years, When Ekblad becomes the latest Norris Trophy Winner and Reinhart is still just a 60 pt guy, you can all look back at this thread. :/

60 point guy?  This lunch you're out to, I hope it's an expensive one you're enjoying thoroughly.

7807358624_a82b7b44a0_b.jpg

#64 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,571 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

If you read my post closely, you will see that I said "in 5 years" In other words, Doughty will mostlikely win a Norris within those 5 years, until Ekblad becomes that superstar D-man.

So basically you're saying that Ekblad will win a Norris before Doughty did in his career.

Still unlikely.

Should we leave that to an expert like you?

I never make claims about how many points or goals a player will score in their career, or what individual trophies they'll win.

That kind of prediction is just stupid. Even on the off chance someone is right, so what? They just pulled it out of their butt.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#65 CynideSnipe

CynideSnipe

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

Jones is  certainly not better than Ekblad. Where are you getting that from? 

XHOEVjV.jpg

#66 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

Smokescreen.

Besides Linden called pointed out the draft-worthy defensemen in press conference #1.

That's what I'm starting to wonder... Focus on Reinhart and trade with buffalo for ekblad. Benning knows how a pedigree Dman can anchor a d line: see chara.

Could be...

Setting up to be a wild draft day

#67 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,571 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

Who says Jones won't be better?

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#68 Gretzky_Sedins

Gretzky_Sedins

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

We should get both

Trade 1

Trade Kesler to anahiem for 10 24 and smith pelley

Trade 2

Trade 6 and Tanev and Guance to Florida for #1

Trade 3

Trade 10 24 Corrado to Buffalo for #2

In Reinhart Ekblad Smith-Pelley

Out Kesler 6 Tanev Corrado Guance

I'd do that in a heart beat, although we lose two of our best defenceman in the system we gain a future #1 defenceman and #1 centre man of the future, Get'er Done GMJB

:towel:  :towel:  :towel:  :towel:  :towel:  :towel:  :towel:  :towel:

Edited by Gretzky_Sedins, 23 June 2014 - 09:41 PM.

27y8qo8.jpg
Thanks to Vintage Canuck for this awesome SIG

Dan Girardi.jpg

#69 CynideSnipe

CynideSnipe

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

Also, to the people trying to say that Reinhart plays with "no one" in Kootenay and that he plays with no good players. That is wrong. His linemate is a good player. Had 98 points.

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/9212

XHOEVjV.jpg

#70 peaches5

peaches5

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

What are you talking about? Jones is projected to be a number 1 dman and Ekblad is projected to be a number 2 dman. 

#71 Gretzky_Sedins

Gretzky_Sedins

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

Yeah, Oilers 2.0

How is that oilers 2.0? we are gaining future franchise players while still keeping the core

27y8qo8.jpg

Dan Girardi.jpg

#72 peaches5

peaches5

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

This all marketing the season tickets are at all time lows with literally no waitlists to get them. I'm sure Benning is getting pressure from ownership to make a move for the 1st overall at any cost to create hype and sell tickets.

#73 CynideSnipe

CynideSnipe

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

What are you talking about? Jones is projected to be a number 1 dman and Ekblad is projected to be a number 2 dman. 

Says which analyst?

XHOEVjV.jpg

#74 Guest_Dasein_*

Guest_Dasein_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

That's what I'm starting to wonder... Focus on Reinhart and trade with buffalo for ekblad. Benning knows how a pedigree Dman can anchor a d line: see chara.

Could be...

Setting up to be a wild draft day

Trade for #1 pick.

Trade #1 to Buffalo:

To VAN - #2 pick (Sam Reinhart), Tyler Myers

To BUF - #1 pick (Aaron Ekblad), ___________

BUF thinks Ekblad is BPA, and in the case they draft him, it's widely believed they will trade Myers.

We pick up a potential Chara + Reinhart for the #1 pick + blue chip prospect (Horvat or Shinkaruk) or a good roster player or a package of some sort.

#75 Gretzky_Sedins

Gretzky_Sedins

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

Trade for #1 pick.

Trade #1 to Buffalo:

To VAN - #2 pick (Sam Reinhart), Tyler Myers

To BUF - #1 pick (Aaron Ekblad), ___________

BUF thinks Ekblad is BPA, and in the case they draft him, it's widely believed they will trade Myers.

We pick up a potential Chara + Reinhart for the #1 pick + blue chip prospect (Horvat or Shinkaruk) or a good roster player or a package of some sort.

Get'er Done! GMJB

27y8qo8.jpg

Dan Girardi.jpg

#76 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

Shinkaruk can also play centre.

He can also play on Reinhart's wing.

The way I see it. You take Reinhart with the first overall if you get it and take pouliot in the Kesler trade. There's your Duncan Keith and your Jonathan Toews, everybody's happy.

First line all star centre Reinhart
Second line elite 2way centre Horvat
All star extremely skilled dman Pouliot
Top six power forward that fights Kassian

Base of your core is built, now your just drafting the BPA to compliment them.

#77 WeddingCrashers

WeddingCrashers

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

Linden and Benning stated with their first couple picks they want forwards. Which leads me to believe that Reinhart is there guy at #1 if they get it. Also if they got the 10th overall I'm fairly convinced they wouldn't take Fleury with that pick either.

#78 TheLiveWire

TheLiveWire

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

They're both equal in my eyes. Future potential #1c, or future potential #1d. But history shows that forwards usually tend to transition better and have the best chance at maxing their potential. So I would say he is less risk. Add on top that he's a homegrown talent and boom, match made in heaven. I know Ekblad is a rare talent, but if what scouts are saying is true and Sam Reinhart really is as smart as they say, you can't pass that up. 

Besides, look, assuming Kesler leaves we are going to have a huge glaring hole in both offense and defense. I assume we are going to at least try to see if Horvat can transition in take over those defensive responsibilities, as well as pk time and face-offs. Reinhart would be the one to potentially replace his offensive production as well as pp time etc. At least that is what I see happening in the short term until they both elevate their games and become a potential 1-2 punch combo that we oh so dearly want. Ekblad is an absolute stud, but Reinhart is the guy I would go with. Besides, if people still disappointed and wondering what could have been with a great young offensive center like Hodgson, here's the chance. Reinhart way more talented that Hodgson was at that age, so who knows. We get that great young center prospect back and better than ever

Edit: Also, the line combinations we would have in for our future would be so flexible. Say Reinhart can't handle the defensive responsibilities of a center, which I think he can, you could make a line of Shinkaruk-Horvat-Reinhart. Now who wouldn't love to see what that line can do?

Edited by TheLiveWire, 23 June 2014 - 10:30 PM.

21bj6s4.jpg

Credit to: Vintage Canuck

#79 TheLiveWire

TheLiveWire

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

I would agree Jones is better than Eklad. But to be fair, that draft also had Nathan Mackinnon, Jonathan Drouin, and Alexander Barkov. Reinhart may be a stud, but jury is out whether or not he's in that elite company as well. He's a genius and really skilled but these guys are just all around on an elite level.

21bj6s4.jpg

#80 CynideSnipe

CynideSnipe

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

Edit: Also, the line combinations we would have in for our future would be so flexible. Say Reinhart can't handle the defensive responsibilities of a center, which I think he can, you could make a line of Shinkaruk-Horvat-Reinhart. Now who wouldn't love to see what that line can do?

Well that line would be quite exciting to watch :/ If we were to draft Reinhart, I would like our lines to be something like this.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (Really, all Kass has to do is go to the net)

Shinkaruk - Reinhart - Jensen (Detroit kid line 2.0)

Fox - Horvat - Burrows (Horvat can develop together with Fox while playing with a vet at the same time)

Higgins - Matthias - Hansen (Would be a really nice scoring 4th line)

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Stanton

Lack

Markstrom

Assuming, this goes well, we would be back in the category with teams like Dallas and Columbus. And at the same time, eventually having the same offensive talent as Colorado if the developing goes well.

XHOEVjV.jpg

#81 WeddingCrashers

WeddingCrashers

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

Sam Reinhart will bring Griffin Reinhart to Vancouver in like 8 years when he becomes a UFA haha so selecting Reinhart gets a top forward and top dman :o hahaha

#82 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

His game I agree is not the most flashiest among the big guns this year.

Not a great skater or amazing shot or overall skill more good at a little bit of everything.

Cerebral type of player who is reliable and steps up when it counts but won't wow with anything.

Good hockey IQ knows where and when to go around the net to pounce on scoring opportunities.

Has good vision and makes his line mates better. Can either set up guys or finish and has a solid NHL defensive game.

He has a chance to step in right away and would help the Canucks both short-term in the top six and long term as the potential #1 center.

Will make an immediate impact on the power play with his poise and intelligence. Overall, he plays a more mature game when compared against his peers.

Ehlers or Nylander would be a more sexier pick because of their speed and skill.

Edited by Chip Kelly, 23 June 2014 - 10:51 PM.

Looking forward to the draft and off-season moves. This team needs major changes.

Needs to get more skilled,physical, faster, younger.

#83 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,042 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

We should get both

Trade 1

Trade 2

Trade 3

Or trade 4

Grab 1st and Campbell from them for our 2nd and third and Sauve and pray they take it.

To Desiboy -

You only don't know what direction this team is going because you simply don't want to understand it or hear it.

#84 WeddingCrashers

WeddingCrashers

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

Would it be bad if whoever they do get they give them one more year in the minors? Just to ensure they're ready ala RNHopkins also would give the canucks a better chance at mcdavid

Reinhart Mcdavid Kassian
Shinkaruk Horvat Virtanen

Could be a pretty nice future top 6

#85 peaches5

peaches5

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:56 PM

Says which analyst?

http://www.tsn.ca/bl...nzie/?id=455555

And where MacKinnon, Barkov and Drouin were projected as first-line forwards and Jones was projected a likely No. 1 defenceman – destined for greatness -- this year's crop of forwards is projected more as second liners with defenceman Ekblad perhaps getting "top pairing" billing though not necessarily a future dynamic No. 1. Good, maybe very good, but not necessarily great.

#86 asian player

asian player

Yakuza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:57 PM

Saying Seth Jones is better is debatable. Hard to say Doughty is on a different level. If you compare their junior years, Doughty was definitely not on a different level. They were very similar. If Ekblad was in last year's draft, he would've went top 5 for sure.
Posted Image
Mad props to Justdean10 for sig

#87 TheLiveWire

TheLiveWire

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:04 PM

We should get both

Trade 1

Trade 2

Trade 3

Actually not a bad Idea. If we get Anaheims 10th, then I'm sure they either Florida or Buffalo would at lead entertain the possibility of trading down. I actually like these proposals. I'd even still be willing to throw in some more players to get that deal done. Throw in Schroeder, or Hansen, or whoever. It would be awesome to walk out with both

21bj6s4.jpg

#88 peaches5

peaches5

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:48 AM

Actually not a bad Idea. If we get Anaheims 10th, then I'm sure they either Florida or Buffalo would at lead entertain the possibility of trading down. I actually like these proposals. I'd even still be willing to throw in some more players to get that deal done. Throw in Schroeder, or Hansen, or whoever. It would be awesome to walk out with both

Buffalo is not going to give up the 2nd overall for the 10th and 24th pick and Corrado right now is probably equal to a low 2nd pick.

#89 BOHORVAT53

BOHORVAT53

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:49 AM

I think Pouliot will be a better Dman then Ekblad, so use the 1st pick to get Reinhart, and get Pouliot and 1st from Pitts for Kesler

I see Ekblad being like a Brent Seabrook, and Pouliot like Doughty.. Ekblad is a man child and dominated in the OHL because of that.. I don't think he has nearly the same success in the NHL with players who match his strength

#90 peaches5

peaches5

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:53 AM

I think Pouliot will be a better Dman then Ekblad, so use the 1st pick to get Reinhart, and get Pouliot and 1st from Pitts for Kesler

I see Ekblad being like a Brent Seabrook, and Pouliot like Doughty.. Ekblad is a man child and dominated in the OHL because of that.. I don't think he has nearly the same success in the NHL with players who match his strength

I can see him ending up more like Brent Burns

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.