The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does Benning want Reinhart so much?

CynideSnipe

In 5 years, When Ekblad becomes the latest Norris Trophy Winner and Reinhart is still just a 60 pt guy, you can all look back at this thread. :/

Ekblad is the best D in this draft but he's not going to the best in the NHL at any point. Seth jones dropped to 4 last year and he's better than Ekblad.

PK, Pietrangelo, Jones, Sutter, Doughty are all on different levels then Ekblad. Look how Ritchie man handled him last season.

Ekblad is the best D in this draft but he's not going to the best in the NHL at any point. Seth jones dropped to 4 last year and he's better than Ekblad.

PK, Pietrangelo, Jones, Sutter, Doughty are all on different levels then Ekblad. Look how Ritchie man handled him last season.

That's why I don't see Ekblad as a true #1 D I think he will be a #2 but never a truly elite #1 defenseman

In 5 years, When Ekblad becomes the latest Norris Trophy Winner and Reinhart is still just a 60 pt guy, you can all look back at this thread. :/

60 point guy? This lunch you're out to, I hope it's an expensive one you're enjoying thoroughly.

If you read my post closely, you will see that I said "in 5 years" In other words, Doughty will mostlikely win a Norris within those 5 years, until Ekblad becomes that superstar D-man.

So basically you're saying that Ekblad will win a Norris before Doughty did in his career.

Still unlikely.

Should we leave that to an expert like you?

I never make claims about how many points or goals a player will score in their career, or what individual trophies they'll win.

That kind of prediction is just stupid. Even on the off chance someone is right, so what? They just pulled it out of their butt.

Jones is certainly not better than Ekblad. Where are you getting that from?

Smokescreen.

Besides Linden called pointed out the draft-worthy defensemen in press conference #1.

That's what I'm starting to wonder... Focus on Reinhart and trade with buffalo for ekblad. Benning knows how a pedigree Dman can anchor a d line: see chara.

Could be...

Setting up to be a wild draft day

We should get both

Trade 1

Trade Kesler to anahiem for 10 24 and smith pelley

Trade 2

Trade 6 and Tanev and Guance to Florida for #1

Trade 3

Trade 10 24 Corrado to Buffalo for #2

In Reinhart Ekblad Smith-Pelley

Out Kesler 6 Tanev Corrado Guance

I'd do that in a heart beat, although we lose two of our best defenceman in the system we gain a future #1 defenceman and #1 centre man of the future, Get'er Done GMJB

:towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel:

This all marketing the season tickets are at all time lows with literally no waitlists to get them. I'm sure Benning is getting pressure from ownership to make a move for the 1st overall at any cost to create hype and sell tickets.

Guest Dasein

That's what I'm starting to wonder... Focus on Reinhart and trade with buffalo for ekblad. Benning knows how a pedigree Dman can anchor a d line: see chara.

Could be...

Setting up to be a wild draft day

Trade for #1 pick.

Trade #1 to Buffalo:

To VAN - #2 pick (Sam Reinhart), Tyler Myers

To BUF - #1 pick (Aaron Ekblad), ___________

BUF thinks Ekblad is BPA, and in the case they draft him, it's widely believed they will trade Myers.

We pick up a potential Chara + Reinhart for the #1 pick + blue chip prospect (Horvat or Shinkaruk) or a good roster player or a package of some sort.

Trade for #1 pick.

Trade #1 to Buffalo:

To VAN - #2 pick (Sam Reinhart), Tyler Myers

To BUF - #1 pick (Aaron Ekblad), ___________

BUF thinks Ekblad is BPA, and in the case they draft him, it's widely believed they will trade Myers.

We pick up a potential Chara + Reinhart for the #1 pick + blue chip prospect (Horvat or Shinkaruk) or a good roster player or a package of some sort.

Get'er Done! GMJB

Shinkaruk can also play centre.

He can also play on Reinhart's wing.

The way I see it. You take Reinhart with the first overall if you get it and take pouliot in the Kesler trade. There's your Duncan Keith and your Jonathan Toews, everybody's happy.

First line all star centre Reinhart

Second line elite 2way centre Horvat

All star extremely skilled dman Pouliot

Top six power forward that fights Kassian

Base of your core is built, now your just drafting the BPA to compliment them.

They're both equal in my eyes. Future potential #1c, or future potential #1d. But history shows that forwards usually tend to transition better and have the best chance at maxing their potential. So I would say he is less risk. Add on top that he's a homegrown talent and boom, match made in heaven. I know Ekblad is a rare talent, but if what scouts are saying is true and Sam Reinhart really is as smart as they say, you can't pass that up.

Besides, look, assuming Kesler leaves we are going to have a huge glaring hole in both offense and defense. I assume we are going to at least try to see if Horvat can transition in take over those defensive responsibilities, as well as pk time and face-offs. Reinhart would be the one to potentially replace his offensive production as well as pp time etc. At least that is what I see happening in the short term until they both elevate their games and become a potential 1-2 punch combo that we oh so dearly want. Ekblad is an absolute stud, but Reinhart is the guy I would go with. Besides, if people still disappointed and wondering what could have been with a great young offensive center like Hodgson, here's the chance. Reinhart way more talented that Hodgson was at that age, so who knows. We get that great young center prospect back and better than ever

Edit: Also, the line combinations we would have in for our future would be so flexible. Say Reinhart can't handle the defensive responsibilities of a center, which I think he can, you could make a line of Shinkaruk-Horvat-Reinhart. Now who wouldn't love to see what that line can do?

Jones is certainly not better than Ekblad. Where are you getting that from?

I would agree Jones is better than Eklad. But to be fair, that draft also had Nathan Mackinnon, Jonathan Drouin, and Alexander Barkov. Reinhart may be a stud, but jury is out whether or not he's in that elite company as well. He's a genius and really skilled but these guys are just all around on an elite level.

Edit: Also, the line combinations we would have in for our future would be so flexible. Say Reinhart can't handle the defensive responsibilities of a center, which I think he can, you could make a line of Shinkaruk-Horvat-Reinhart. Now who wouldn't love to see what that line can do?

Well that line would be quite exciting to watch :/ If we were to draft Reinhart, I would like our lines to be something like this.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (Really, all Kass has to do is go to the net)

Shinkaruk - Reinhart - Jensen (Detroit kid line 2.0)

Fox - Horvat - Burrows (Horvat can develop together with Fox while playing with a vet at the same time)

Higgins - Matthias - Hansen (Would be a really nice scoring 4th line)

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Stanton

Lack

Markstrom

Assuming, this goes well, we would be back in the category with teams like Dallas and Columbus. And at the same time, eventually having the same offensive talent as Colorado if the developing goes well.

Archived