The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does Benning want Reinhart so much?

CynideSnipe

I think Benning want's to make a big splash in his first year as GM, especially with something like the draft as drafting is one if his strengths. Nothing better to kick it off then a local kid who has superstar potentiel. As others have said, it will cost a lot, however that doesn't bother me, it is time changes.

It just happens that this is the year.... too bad it wasn't next year, but nothing we can do about it.

We already have #6, Kesler wants out and we can get a return and use that to trade/move up.

Next year who knows, probably no big name player will want off the team, and I doubt we get top 10 again.

Think of it this way: If next year is so great and deep - then it doesn't matter where we pick in the 1st round, it can be a great pick. This year, with a thin pool (supposedly), you need to move up to make it worthwhile

But, do we really need him? We already have Horvat who I am quite confident is going to be our legit 1st line centre.

It comes off as biased when you're so confident in Horvat becoming a #1 C but don't afford the same confidence to a prospect projected much higher.

Horvat is not generally considered to be projected with high offensive output or at least that of a first liner. The consensus is he'll be a very good 2nd line center at best.

Reinhart has a legitimate chance at being a star 1st liner.

Both these players will be hitting their prime just as the Sedins are on their way out. And all of a sudden our future is looking very very bright.

Bring on Reinhart.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=455555

And where MacKinnon, Barkov and Drouin were projected as first-line forwards and Jones was projected a likely No. 1 defenceman – destined for greatness -- this year's crop of forwards is projected more as second liners with defenceman Ekblad perhaps getting "top pairing" billing though not necessarily a future dynamic No. 1. Good, maybe very good, but not necessarily great.

He still said No. 1. Good. Besides, I can find multiple websites boasting how great Ekblad is and how is going to be fantastic.

Exhibit A: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/06/22/steady-two-way-defenceman-aaron-ekblad-front-runner-for-top-pick-in-2014-nhl-draft/

Quote:

Ekblad, a two-way, right-shooting defenceman, knows what he wants to be not only in this week’s NHL draft but as a professional. He’d love to go No. 1 and continue to mould himself in the images of Shea Weber, Alex Pietrangelo and Duncan Keith.

Exhibit B: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/scouts-favour-aaron-ekblad-to-go-no--1-overall-in-2014-nhl-entry-draft-180605085.html

Quote:

“He's the one player who is most ready to step in and contribute next season,” said one scout of the 6-foot-3, 213-pound defender. “Also (he’s) simply the best player available.”

“It’s hard to ignore the size on the back end, leadership experience both in (the OHL and) in national team events,” said another scout. “He has the intangibles that teams look for and there’s still room to improve.”

The 18-year-old defenceman was granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada which allowed him to play in the OHL a year early as a 15-year-old. Even as a rookie in the league, the Belle River, Ont., native proved to be a calm and reliable on the blue line. He didn’t look out of place when he became one of Team Canada’s top defencemen at the 2014 world junior tournament in Malmo, Sweden, either.

Exhibit C: http://www.litterboxcats.com/2014/6/12/5775988/aaron-ekblad-florida-panthers-nhl-mock-draft-2014

Quote: He's very polished, has all the tools to be an impact player after several years of maturation

He still said No. 1. Good. Besides, I can find multiple websites boasting how great Ekblad is and how is going to be fantastic.

Exhibit A: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/06/22/steady-two-way-defenceman-aaron-ekblad-front-runner-for-top-pick-in-2014-nhl-draft/

Quote:

Ekblad, a two-way, right-shooting defenceman, knows what he wants to be not only in this week’s NHL draft but as a professional. He’d love to go No. 1 and continue to mould himself in the images of Shea Weber, Alex Pietrangelo and Duncan Keith.

Exhibit B: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/scouts-favour-aaron-ekblad-to-go-no--1-overall-in-2014-nhl-entry-draft-180605085.html

Quote:

“He's the one player who is most ready to step in and contribute next season,” said one scout of the 6-foot-3, 213-pound defender. “Also (he’s) simply the best player available.”

“It’s hard to ignore the size on the back end, leadership experience both in (the OHL and) in national team events,” said another scout. “He has the intangibles that teams look for and there’s still room to improve.”

The 18-year-old defenceman was granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada which allowed him to play in the OHL a year early as a 15-year-old. Even as a rookie in the league, the Belle River, Ont., native proved to be a calm and reliable on the blue line. He didn’t look out of place when he became one of Team Canada’s top defencemen at the 2014 world junior tournament in Malmo, Sweden, either.

Exhibit C: http://www.litterboxcats.com/2014/6/12/5775988/aaron-ekblad-florida-panthers-nhl-mock-draft-2014

Quote: He's very polished, has all the tools to be an impact player after several years of maturation

And another...

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=722874&navid=DL|VAN|home

Quote:

When you watch Ekblad play, it’s hard not to see a younger, slightly tamer, Shea Weber on the ice. He plays in all situations, is physically intimidating, and possesses a rocket shot. Ekblad is ahead of where Weber was in his development at this time. Weber had just 94 games of junior experience when he was drafted in 2003, Ekblad already has 219 OHL games under his belt.

There are two things every team needs... a bonifide #1 Dman and a #1C... I would be happy with either Ekblad or Reinhart. I feel our need is more of a 1C at the moment with the Sedins starting to turn into 2nd liners.

Yup. If the Canucks do land a higher pick (1st or 2nd overall) I'd be happy with either of these guys. Both fill a specific need.

regards,

G.

Sam CANT SKATE, without wheels all that vision and IQ is out the window.

He is NOT worth Shinkaruk, Tanev and 6th overall. I don't care what anybody says. He's not no Crosby or Stamkos. He's more like down graded nugget-Hopkins.

Keep in mind, even Nail Yakupov was #1 overall, it doesn't always work out.

Out of all the big name prospects talked about in hfboards.com.

Aaron Ekblad although a lot of positive comments, he also has a lot of negative feedbacks. By far. You see guys like Ritchie, ya know, Dal Cole, Bennet, these players when fans are talking about them its like 90% positive stuff about them. Ekblad on the other hand has a lot of negative feedbacks. Such as Colts fans saying, "I don't even know why he's the number 1 ranked player. Sure he's good, but not number 1 good." other fans call him overrated, a lot of fans don't even see why he's the number 1 pick.

There's definitely some people talking about Reinhart that clearly have no clue what kind of player he is.

Downgraded version of Nugent-Hopkins? Lol.

This..Reinhart is going to be something special. Lol at the guy who said can't skate the kid is pure silk on ice.

He is NOT worth Shinkaruk, Tanev and 6th overall. I don't care what anybody says. He's not no Crosby or Stamkos. He's more like down graded nugget-Hopkins.

he is as fast as the sedins though, just saying....

but I agree with you, shinkaruk should not be included in the deal

Out of all the big name prospects talked about in hfboards.com.

Aaron Ekblad although a lot of positive comments, he also has a lot of negative feedbacks. By far. You see guys like Ritchie, ya know, Dal Cole, Bennet, these players when fans are talking about them its like 90% positive stuff about them. Ekblad on the other hand has a lot of negative feedbacks. Such as Colts fans saying, "I don't even know why he's the number 1 ranked player. Sure he's good, but not number 1 good." other fans call him overrated, a lot of fans don't even see why he's the number 1 pick.

With 3 seasons in the OHL, he's been picked apart and even the smallest of weaknesses are magnified. He'll be a great player

In 5 years, When Ekblad becomes the latest Norris Trophy Winner and Reinhart is still just a 60 pt guy, you can all look back at this thread. :/

Or in 5 years when Reinhart is an elite franchise player and Ekblad is a stay at home top 4 guy we can look back at this thread....see what I did there?

Have you ever watched Reinhart play? I can assure you I have seen him play dozens of times and have had the great fortune of talking to him several times. He is a special player with the right attitude, approach, and hockey pedigree to be a difference maker. He may not be the fastest skater but uses his hockey IQ to slow the game down to his pace and create opportunities for other players and himself almost making it look easy.. That is a VERY difficult quality to find because when you start skating against men in the NHL the "skills" you have don't mean squat if you can't think the game above their level.

The guys who become difference makers in the NHL generally have high hockey IQ. It is a common element. Add in leadership, a penchant for raising his game and being a clutch performer when it is needed most, and a strong two way approach to the game and you just have the cherry on top.

All you did was turn my post into your own predictions/opinions. You didn't to much..

Sure I did. I made you look like a fool because no one can predict anything as bold as you did. Prospects are not sure things with the exception of very, very few. Development, injuries, opportunity, etc. can all play a part in how they turn out. So trying to suggest that Ekblad or Reinhart WILL be anything 5 years down the line is ridiculous. Suggesting they COULD be something is fine but that works for both players.

Ekblad is a great young guy and I would be happy if the Canucks got him. But the history of dmen at the top of the draft compared to forwards is a pretty compelling risk.

Either is a calculated risk at this point like every other prospect.

I am interested to hear if you have ever actually seen Reinhart play.

Archived