The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko: Cory Schenider 2.0?

Canucks35

Too early to speculate but he's ranked number 1 for North-American Goalie prospects and draws compression to goaltenders Cory Schneider and Jimmy Howard. Ironically he plays for Boston College too.. Seems way too perfect eh? Now where can we find another Roberto Luongo to start this whole drama again? Obviously I'm just kidding and he still has a lot too prove but by the time he's developed in 3-5 years he should be an elite goalie, with proper guidance like any prospect requires.

Also wanted to get opinions if you think Canucks should draft him and when you think he'll be drafted?

My guess is only way Canucks get him is IF a trade is made with the Ducks and they pick him at 24th overall. Although they'll probably try and go for a player prospect instead and he'll get picked by Buffalo with the 31st pick (2nd round).

Article on Demko:

http://frozenfutures.com/2014/05/27/thatcher-demko-top-30-nhl-draft-prospect/

"Plain and simple, a team that drafts Thatcher Demko is going to get a solid goaltender who can carry a team and help them win. It’s hard to overstate or understate what a goaltender will bring to a team. Surround them with the right defence and a solid coach and magic can happen. As an 18 year-old goaltender, Demko has drown comparisons to the likes of Cory Schneider, Jimmy Howard and Joe Cannata. While comparisons are fine and dandy, goaltenders have a lot to prove. Demko won’t be leave Boston College anytime soon and will need at least another 3-4 season’s before it’s NHL time.

Thatcher Demko can easily become the anchor or cornerstone of a team needing a franchise goaltender. Give him the time he needs to develop and he won’t let you down."

post-122990-0-89658800-1403577929_thumb.

Goaltender prospects are very finicky. Way too early to be assuming he'll be elite IMO.

Or Andrew Raycroft 2.0...

We have more pressing needs

Honestly I believe that in todays tendy prospects you get what you see. We've seen it in John Gibson and Dustin Tokarski , long gone are the days of high hopes being shattered in goalies like Vesa Toskala.. if there were any hopes. Goaltending coaches just do to good of a job in maintaining and working with younger goalies now.

I think we need a goalie out of this draft... I wouldn't be upset in the slightest if we used our 36th overall on Alex Nedjelkovic if he's still available then. With that being said there's also a lot of players that i'd love to take 36th overall.

Possibly unless Demko or Brendan Lemieux were available, both would be steals at 36th IMO.

we shouldn't be overlooking Joe Cannata just yet. i think picking one of the younger goalies in next years draft would be more appropriate than using a pick on one this year

Really don't feel either Eriksson or Cannata will ever be too good of a fit with the Canucks until Eddie Lack and Markstrom are around.. Just think of it Cannata ,Eriksson and Markstrom are all the same age and Lack is only two years older.

We need a solid goaltending prospect that's younger so that when both our current goalies are old and past their prime he can be the one to take over for upcoming years. Basically when Lack and Markstrom will be 35 and 33 and younger goalie in his mid-20s can step up, Cannata and Eriksson will be the same age and probably long gone.

Hold on a minute canuks35...don't go throwing Canatta and Eriksson under the bus until you actually see them play. The Canucks, despite your opinion, have 2 really good goaltenders down here in Utica. Sometimes we just need to STOP looking at a stat sheet before jumping to conclusions. Eriksson, despite a dismal team start, finished his 1st season in Utica very strong. He led the Comets in one of the best turnaround stories I've seen in hockey in a very long time. He led this struggling team to within 2 wins of a playoff berth. He also has a few shutouts under his belt and AHL player of the week accolades.

Canatta, who didn't get as many starts, had his own story to tell. Some of his wins actually came in RELIEF of Eriksson. Canatta held the fort when coming into the game in relief of Eriksson. His stellar play turned a few losses into wins for the Comets. Canatta was a GREAT backup who could be a starter for many AHL teams, if given the chance.

Eriksson is ready for Vancouver when needed and Canatta could have been capable if given more exposure this past season.

This years camp will be very interesting. Lack maybe a starter, but he will have some very stiff competition behind him. Markstrom is NOT guaranteed the backup position because Eriksson has something to prove.

not as good as Fucale from last draft - Corey Pronman

& btw, fans - the Canucks won't draft anything but forwards in the first 2 rounds, said in an interview with Benning

Cannata should be CS 2.0 but we have a good system for goalies atm, they're all gems. be happy... let them develop, not like anyone really expect the Canucks to go far in playoffs anyway

Archived